advertisement

Films/Movies, Old & New - Recommendations and Reviews

I have Oldboy on DvD. (2003)

An engrossing and disturbing film, with a shocking twist. The film creates a fantastic sense of unease and speculation as to W.T.F. is going on. Gives me a shudder to think about it.
I last watched that DvD last year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldboy_(2003_film)

Very high IMdb rating!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364569/

Great film. If you enjoyed that, it’s actually the second part of a loose trilogy known as the Vengeance Trilogy, along with Sympathy for Mr Vengeance and Lady Vengeance. All strong and similar in tone.

My contribution as a twist on a similarly gritty theme is Shane Meadows and Paddy Considine’s Dead Man’s Shoes.

Considine’s performance drew comparisons with De Niro in Taxi Driver, but the film remains down to earth and quintessentially British, even funny, at the same time.

And if that leaves anyone wanting more Paddy-inflected British bleakness, I can also recommend Tyrannosaur. The point for me where Olivia Colman really started to spread her wings and step out from bit parts in sketch comedies into being a seriously good serious actress.

I just watched Rita Sue and Bob Too for the first time.
A sad indictment of Thatchers Britain, as they say, with its backdrop of run down Bradford.
It has given me an inner smile though since watching it.

The title music is horrendously cheesy but I can't find a recording of it anywhere.
It's by Michael Kamen who seems to do a few other movie themes.
I love cheese.

My contribution as a twist on a similarly gritty theme is Shane Meadows and Paddy Considine’s Dead Man’s Shoes.

Yes, we regard Shane Meadows as a local as we live just north of Nottingham. I sometimes recognise the outside locations.
Seen most of his stuff, which follows on nicely from Mike Leigh / Ken Loach.

Not sure about ’Tyrannosaur’ - I try to avoid films that feature sexual violence /rape.

fishes -

Please feel free to put up links to the films that you are promoting. It makes the thread experience far more interesting than just a film title and no further information…

;)

Not sure about ’Tyrannosaur’ - I try to avoid films that feature sexual violence /rape.

Just read the Wiki article on that. Jesus, what a grim 90 minutes that makes for - a real triumph of 'worthiness' over entertainment. I'll pass.

Just read the Wiki article on that. Jesus, what a grim 90 minutes that makes for - a real triumph of 'worthiness' over entertainment. I'll pass.

yerrr - I don’t seek out real life drama, I have had enough of that.

The Wife, who has had a far less dramatic existence will like it though. She may have seen Tyrannosaur already …

That’s entirely fair enough, it’s not for everyone. Though I thought it was good, and conversely there was a scene in Old Boy which I found infinitely more problematic (because it involved the real killing of an animal).

Changing tack to matters less grim, and partly on a soundtrack basis since others have mentioned them, I quite enjoyed Atomic Blonde not long ago. Spy romp daftness with an 80s Berlin theme, sort of like Charlize Theron in an espionage take on John Wick. Violent but good fun and some ace tunes.

That’s entirely fair enough, it’s not for everyone. Though I thought it was good, and conversely there was a scene in Old Boy which I found infinitely more problematic (because it involved the real killing of an animal).

Changing tack to matters less grim, and partly on a soundtrack basis since others have mentioned them, I quite enjoyed Atomic Blonde not long ago. Spy romp daftness with an 80s Berlin theme, sort of like Charlize Theron in an espionage take on John Wick. Violent but good fun and some ace tunes.

Agreed, Atomic Blonde has good pace.

Eldest Granddaughter and I watched this earlier this week.
Partly because it is a great film,
partly because of its influence on directors e.g. Tarantino, and the way the film is shot.

I have an early dvd release of this film, banned for many years…

‘Shogun Assassin’ (1980)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081506/

The soundtrack is electronic in places, and reverb sonics add to the feels.

It looks dated, but we really enjoyed it. The humour is all there, although not necessarily obvious. The bits that Tarantino nicked are fun to spot.

solid classic in our house.

a%20shogun_assassin%20uk%20dvd%20cover.jpg

If anyone’s a fan of Liu Cixin's books, Netflix has a 30 part series of his ‘The 3Body Problem‘ coming out in January. Hopefully a cracker. The NYT has a review but I’ve past the free article limit.

Trying to stick just to films with this thread. ty.

I started a thread on MAD GOD (2021) Phil Tippett (genius) a while ago

Film - MAD GOD (2021)

You mentioned the Japanese film, Tetsuo in your thread... I stumbled across it late one night and was mesmerised by the special effects and the gore it was so well done it affected me for years, all those pipes in his thigh.

I've put a mental note in to check out MAD GOD... sounds fascinating.

You're never the same after watching some of these films it's truely frightening how other people's nightmares can become yours!

Ditto. The live action just tremendous - it’d be all CGI nowadays.

Granddaughter and I watched ‘Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon’ a few days ago.

I had to explain to her how they did a lot of the fight scenes, wires etc - otherwise she would have discarded much of the skill as CGI.

I hadn’t seen Crouching Tiger for a while (own it on DvD) it was as fantastic as it was when I first saw it.
Next time the girl is over, we have Hero and House of Flying Daggers to watch (DvD)

Love most films with Chow Yun Fat starring.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0190332/

advertisement

Back