advertisement

Film and TV chat in general

You can learn a lot about films from the IMDb site

You'd have to be getting on a bit to appreciate this.
There was an old film on Talking Pictures the other night.

"The Girl on the Pier." (1953) starring Veronica Hurst and Ron Randall. He played clarinet in a pier end dance hall band and you see and hear him singing in one scene.
There was someone who played a detective police sergeant, the part was so small his name wasn't in the screen credits, but IMdB lists everyone in the films.
He was better known for this. But he died the year before the film's release.
I uploaded it to YouTube twelve years ago, from a CD I have.

Another film on TP the other night was "A Boy a Girl and a Bike." (1949) A drama about a cycling club.
It starred Honour Blackman at 22 and Diana Dors at 18.
Amongst the many extras as cyclists whose names didn't make the screen credits, but were listed by IMBd, was Ken Russell who went on to be a respected film director and wait for it....

Jimmy Savile.

I’m really enjoying ‘Gold Robbers’ on Talking Pictures at the moment, incredible performance from Peter Vaughan.

Give Bodies a miss on Netflix, utter garbage, a great graphic novel ruined by dreadful direction, poor acting and shocking art direction, it's destined to become a classic.

Just on series 6 of shetland which we love .the scenery and whole thing is just superb

Very excited series 8 is o nov 1st i think with no jimmy perrez this time

I just watched Sucker Punch (2011) for the first time and holy sh!t, it blew my socks off! Fwiw, I watched the extended cut, but I've no idea how it compares to the theatrical release beyond being 17-18 minutes longer. Anyway, it's not often a 2-hour film captures my attention from start to finish like that, but like I say, it blew my socks off. And the soundtrack and sound effects? Fantastic!

Never have I read such a fabulously, succinctly dismal review of a film, as this! I scrolled down for the usual 3rd, 4th paragraphs.. but nope. That's it! Wow.. where did Eddie Izzard go so wrong, after starting out way back whenever, so well? (he can't act! Can no-one see it?) Omg. I actually feel slightly sorry for him/ her/ them.

Capt

I just watched Sucker Punch (2011) for the first time and holy sh!t, it blew my socks off! Fwiw, I watched the extended cut, but I've no idea how it compares to the theatrical release beyond being 17-18 minutes longer. Anyway, it's not often a 2-hour film captures my attention from start to finish like that, but like I say, it blew my socks off. And the soundtrack and sound effects? Fantastic!
100% Awesome film especially when viewed/heard on a decent AV system.

I’m really enjoying ‘Gold Robbers’ on Talking Pictures at the moment, incredible performance from Peter Vaughan.

The film brought back some memories, I had an aunt and uncle who lived in Prittlewell, their bungalow was at the end of Feeches Road and beyond their garden was Southend Airport featured in the film. I remember seeing one of those car ferry planes on occasional visits there with my parents.

Over 20 years since the first film was released, and over 10 years since the last, I've finally finished watching the whole of the Harry Potter film series. I'd seen a few of the earlier films back in the day and I'd seen snippets of the later films, but it wasn't until I bought the DVD boxset (£3 in a charity shop) a few months ago that I was able - and inclined - to watch the whole thing from start to finish.

The earlier films are very family orientated but the series does indeed get darker and more mature, relatively speaking, as the characters age and the story approaches its ultimate conclusion.

I'll be dropping the boxset off at a charity shop in due course as I've no need or desire to watch it again. But I have to hand it to J.K. Rowling all the same, she penned an epic franchise that's going to stay with us for a long time to come!

I thought the third one (Prisoner of Azkaban) is the best film of the series by a good margin. Alfonso Cuarón took the bold move of not rigidly following the book, but instead telling the same story using a film.

Of all the films, this one and the first are the only ones you can watch without having read the books. The others are all hamstrung by excessive reverence for the source text, and the last three are full of what seems like irrelevant detail until you realise they're constantly referring to something that the book explained. (Although I did like the animated short that was in the middle of the last film)

Channel 5 have an amazing programme called ,wife on strike, .....brilliant....well worth a watch , men who let their other halves do everything,!

The kids even had to walk to school..shock horror

Just watched the trailer, wow that looks intense. Not a fan of the dark moody lighting though but I’ll give it a go

Just watched the trailer, wow that looks intense. Not a fan of the dark moody lighting though but I’ll give it a go

I became hooked once I watched her first battle scene, with great visuals accompanied by equally impressive audio. If you've got a good surround sound setup, then brace yourself for a stellar experience! I dare say it'll still be good in stereo but the surround sound people earned their money here, that's for sure.

I just watched Saving Private Ryan (1998) again and there's no doubt about it, it's an almighty film for sure. Plus, the opening and closing scenes provide a great indication as to whether your sound system delivers an immersive experience... and I'm pleased to say my 4.0 surround sound system passed the test as it had me hooked from the first to the last second :)

Incidentally, I can still remember going to see the film in the cinema when it came out and having the most incredible sense that the entire audience was still in a state of shock as we made our way out at the end of the film. It left us all speechless, literally speechless.

advertisement

Back