advertisement

Fascism V Fascism.

Sadly, that’s exactly what’s happening.
No. The right is not winning because the left is squabbling. The right is winning because that is where the centre is now.

You can’t attribute agency to left and right but not centre.

The right is the mainstream now.

It is the centre ground.

They are but this is what the CHAOS does...
But they’re not, that is the point. One is neoliberal and the other is social democratic. The one was invented to declare war on the other after the horrors of the New Deal.

It has won. Neoliberalism is winning. It has won over the Labour Party that’s for sure

The problem is that it is quite hard to accept that Labour are neoliberal and justify voting for them.

As you have mentioned
The problem is that it is quite hard to accept that Labour are neoliberal and justify voting for them
They preceded Thatcher with it so we should be used to it by now.
It was Callaghan’s response to recession and a lack of dynamism in nationalised industries like Post Office Telephones.

As you have mentioned

They preceded Thatcher with it so we should be used to it by now.
It was Callaghan’s response to recession and a lack of dynamism in nationalised industries like Post Office Telephones.
Yes, Callaghan adopted neoliberalism when he abandoned ‘Keynesianism’, and it got him into big trouble with the IMF.

There were newspaper articles describing Healy as a Monetarist well before Howe

Callaghan, not Thatcher, is the root of all evil.

I see his reasoning.

*Cutbacks* became a buzzword in my industry and others. The idea being to cut out unnecessary spending.

The economy looked pretty stagnant in the 70's and he paved the way for Thatcherism.

Methinks my condemnation of the Labour Party’s economics is what this is really about.

The rest is just nonsense.
Bullshit. I don't give two shits what you or anyone else thinks about the Labour Party. You get one vote, so do I.

You know what this is about, I've said so. Repeatedly. Put up or shut up. You can't or won't do either. So carry on talking shite, at least some of us find it amusing .

I see his reasoning.

*Cutbacks* became a buzzword in my industry and others. The idea being to cut out unnecessary spending.

The economy looked pretty stagnant in the 70's and he paved the way for Thatcherism.
Yes, but more specially it was Stagflation, a combination of high unemployment and inflation which the ‘Keynesian’ mathematical models said, or were interpreted to say, couldn’t happen at the same time.

Stagflation was seen as a failure of the ‘Keynesian’ model. Hence Callaghan’s Blackpool Speech

Bullshit. I don't give two shits what you or anyone else thinks about the Labour Party. You get one vote, so do I.

You know what this is about, I've said so. Repeatedly. Put up or shut up. You can't or won't do either. So carry on talking shite, at least some of us find it amusing .
Methinks you do protest too much

Methinks you do protest too much
Methinks that you can't ever admit that you were wrong. I'll ask you once again, put up or shut up. But you can't do either, can you? Oh how that scab must itch, you just can't leave it alone.

One quote proving that you'd defined your version of neoliberalism prior to this weekend, at any point over, what, the last 6 months, and I'd say "Oh right, so you did, sorry I missed that, carry on" and that would be it resolved. But you can't, because you didn't, and c an't bear to admit it, now or anytime over however many months. That really must itch. Go on, scratch it again. It's just funny now.

Methinks that you can't ever admit that you were wrong. I'll ask you once again, put up or shut up. But you can't do either, can you? Oh how that scab must itch, you just can't leave it alone.

One quote proving that you'd defined your version of neoliberalism prior to this weekend, at any point over, what, the last 6 months, and I'd say "Oh right, so you did, sorry I missed that, carry on" and that would be it resolved. But you can't, because you didn't, and c an't bear to admit it, now or anytime over however many months. That really must itch. Go on, scratch it again. It's just funny now.
Oh Christ, here you go again, repeating the same thing again and again over and over.

You keep accusing me of “never” having defined neoliberalism. I notice you’ve just added “in the last 6 months” but that is not where you started

Until you evidence your ridiculous accusation, it will remain what it is, ridiculous.

You made the accusation, it is not up to me to prove my innocence, it is up to you, the accuser, to provide evidence to demonstrate my guilt.

It is really that basic.

All we have is your wild accusation that you keep repeating over and over but no evidence, no substance, nothing.

Put up or shut up indeed.

You made the accusation, you substantiate it.

The neoliberals were very much for participatory democracy. They were also comfortable with modest taxes, the public good, services for the poor and social insurance. Hayek even supported basic income.

When I was around eight or nine years old, I went into school one morning to find a load of swarthy looking kids who spoke no English had suddenly turned up in our school. Over the next few months they began, in faltering English, to tell us about how they had been forced to flee their home because the government wanted to kill their fathers.

The CIA instigated Chilean coup was the first big experiment in neoliberalism. Over the months the Chilean kids English improved. We all learnt a little bit about Chile, but they missed out on the bit about the public good and participatory democracy.

The neoliberals were very much for participatory democracy. They were also comfortable with modest taxes, the public good, services for the poor and social insurance. Hayek even supported basic income.

Whatever they were for, it's blindingly obvious that the present version is exactly as I described it above. It is essentially a recipe for unbridled capitalism, and as such, is incompatible with the equitable operation of a civilised, democratic society. This is precisely what the Tories have struggled with, as they try to portray a 'caring' approach, whilst clearly doing the exact opposite.

citation needed
you wont get one. Hayek was opposed a basic income.

He did support certain means tested benefits, but only because such things should would hinder the free market, so government can handle them. And we are talking the bare minimum required to avoid too much disruption.

The truth is that because of it’s deep roots in an ideology of purely transactional notions of efficiency, it is purposefully amoral.

The common good is a moral question that literally does not count. The costs of the NHS are on the balance sheet, the benefits, not so much.

advertisement

Back