advertisement

Fancy Protractors?

Yes I agree.

I understand what you are saying here.
As I said I'm not conversant with how other protractors work but surely the curve a stylus travels can only relate to one specific spindle to pivot length.
This is what the MINT does.
Are universal protractors able to 'draw' different curves.
The Dr F one I have uses the 2-point method once overhang is set.

To set overhang you align the end of the measuring arm with the arm pivot point (actual, not theoretical) and then move the measuring arm to the appropriate spindle-to-pivot setting on the 12 inch disc. Then set overhang followed by making sure the cartridge or cantilever is straight via the "2 points".

Clear as mud? :)

It's comforting to have your stylus tracing those two arcs once all else is set up. The Dr F mk 2 does have the extra measurement format but for the life of me, I really couldn't say which of the 3 on my original I follow (if I have a choice, in effect). I guess those arcs more or less signify the early and late grooves on a record. I think this would be more important for 9" arms than for my 12" ones as to me it represents tracing error (rightly or wrongly).

To set overhang you align the end of the measuring arm with the arm pivot point (actual, not theoretical) and then move the measuring arm to the appropriate spindle-to-pivot setting on the 12 inch disc. Then set overhang followed by making sure the cartridge or cantilever is straight via the "2 points".

Clear as mud? :)

Crystal clear, makes sense to me anyway.;)

Has no one mentioned a graduated 45rpm adaptor yet?

images

Last edited:
Simple really. Not all TT sindles are the same diameter which is why the soundtractor supplies three inserts to accommodate different spindle diameters. See GT's comments earlier in this thread. The other point about the MINT protractor is that the thickness is an average LP thickness which may or may not be important to some people

yep but despite measuring my spindle and telling yip my mint protractor did have play in the hole,i got round it by putting masking tape around the spindle,it worked but i did wonder what the point of giving him measurments was if he didn't take any notice of them.

yep but despite measuring my spindle and telling yip my mint protractor did have play in the hole,i got round it by putting masking tape around the spindle,it worked but i did wonder what the point of giving him measurments was if he didn't take any notice of them.

Could not agree more!

Mine fits perfectly, like a glove on my Ace Spacedeck originally and the same protractor now on the Dais.
I do agree though if you make a point of frequently changing your arm a universal solution would be preferable.
I didn't see myself changing my arm in the short term four years ago and still don't now.
Unless maybe................a 12" armwand.

With my tonearm (Moerch) I can just substitute my 9" with a 12" armwand, do you really think it's a worthwhile
upgrade? It will cost me £750.

£750 for an armwand? Pricey enough, there's a 12" Anna Ace on ebay for just over £1200, though you would need a second armboard and another cartridge, perhaps your not interested in an alternative.

With my tonearm (Moerch) I can just substitute my 9" with a 12" armwand, do you really think it's a worthwhile
upgrade? It will cost me £750.

Ouch! Think I'd prefer an arm which is designed and manufactured as a 12", but maybe I'm out of order here, as I don't know the Morch, though I think it's a fairly lightweight arm (eff. mass, i.e.) It would certainly allow you to compare the two lengths, though depends upon what extra mass the longer wand adds and whether your cart. would benefit from it.

there's a 12" Anna Ace on ebay for just over £1200, though you would need a second armboard and another cartridge,

Interesting; must have a look as they're not exactly common. The Dais armboards for 9 and 10" arms are different to those for 12" arms; maybe something to consider with the Morch extension? Why another cart? My Ace Anna (I was told by N.A.) is about 14g, which would suit a lot of m/coils and oddly, shines with the VMS MM that''s on it now (so much for synergy spec's !!!!!)

Ouch! Think I'd prefer an arm which is designed and manufactured as a 12", but maybe I'm out of order here, as I don't know the Morch, though I think it's a fairly lightweight arm (eff. mass, i.e.) It would certainly allow you to compare the two lengths, though depends upon what extra mass the longer wand adds and whether your cart. would benefit from it.

Interesting; must have a look as they're not exactly common. The Dais armboards for 9 and 10" arms are different to those for 12" arms; maybe something to consider with the Morch extension? Why another cart? My Ace Anna (I was told by N.A.) is about 14g, which would suit a lot of m/coils and oddly, shines with the VMS MM that''s on it now (so much for synergy spec's !!!!!)

This one http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&toolid=10001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=30380393534
No connection to the seller

Yes, quite right Mike , a different armboard would be required for the 12" tonearm, I suppose a different cartridge wouldn't be required, they could always be swapped over, I guess I was thinking having the two tonearms mounted with two cartridges whether different flavours or a mono and Stereo, I wasn't referring to cartridge compatibility regarding effective mass, years ago NA sold the Tracer MM cartridge range made by Excel in Japan, they used them on all the TTs at shows with Croft preamps.
I think where the Moerch tonearms are concerned there is different arm wands available with different effective masses.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
£750 for an armwand? Pricey enough, there's a 12" Anna Ace on ebay for just over £1200, though you would need a second armboard and another cartridge, perhaps your not interested in an alternative.

Yes the armwands are expensive, that is a new price, I've never seen a secondhand one.
It's not actually on my mind to buy one at the moment, it was meant as a 'humourous' comment as to a possible reason I might need to change my MINT protractor.

I think where the Moerch tonearms are concerned there is different arm wands available with different effective masses.

That's right, there are.

The arm interchangability was one of the things that attracted me to the Moerch, for instance I could have another arm with a mono cartridge.
Saves buying two arms.

Yes the armwands are expensive, that is a new price, I've never seen a secondhand one.
It's not actually on my mind to buy one at the moment, it was meant as a 'humourous' comment as to a possible reason I might need to change my MINT

Ah, I see

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back