advertisement

Facing the actual magnitude of your music collection

The absence of possessions was quite liberating.

When we moved to Tokyo for a couple of years pretty much all I took was a rucksack of clothes. Not having a flat jammed full of stuff felt incredibly good and it's something I've missed in the decades since we came back.

Of course it didn't help that I shipped back to the UK hundreds of records I'd bought in Japan....

Part of our downfall was that Mrs H worked in a library for a number of years. Rather than seeing perfectly good, but unwanted stock going into a skip, she'd bring books home, adding to the several thousand we already owned. Charity shops were another hazard; one down the road sold excellent books for silly money, and we could rarely pass there without buying something (fortunately the shop only sells dross now).

Do you think about what will happen to your physical music? Maybe you just enjoy it now and don't care what happens after? Or you have a plan for it to go somewhere else?

Having just moved house I'm all to aware of the physical bulk of my records and hifi, a van full, literally.
My eldest is getting all my records, CDs and hifi equipment when I go to the happy hunting ground, my other kid is getting my bike and tools, the house will be divided between the two of them and they can do what they like with the rest, having said that, I'll not try to leave any 'crap' for them to sort out.

Get rid. Having just finished clearing my parents' house, during which I cursed them every single day, if you care about your descendants don't leave them the godawful job of having to clear out all your crap.
When we cleared out my mother's house we discovered she had 200 pairs of shoes. Absurd. I get along perfectly well with my 150 pairs.

I have a very modest collection of vinyl and cd’s I’m sure compared to a lot here. Nevertheless there is no way I could listen to all of it regularly, I would have to be spinning something or other 24/7 !
On top of this I feel a strange guilt (for want of a better word) for not playing large sections of it.
And on top of that if I get interested in a new artist I get the urge to buy one or two new items.
Ridiculous really, the only logical answer is to ditch it all and get into streaming.
But what would I do with my turntable collection then ?

I know that some here 'don't care' what happens to their collections in the aftermath, but I care about what should happen to mine. I know that nobody will want to keep it together and play it, so it's a well-catalogued collection (both Discogs and Excel), with links provided to likely on-sellers. I would like the ones I leave behind to at least see some financial benefit from all my wildly impulsive purchases. Until then, I'll continue to enjoy it. I really should thin it out more though...

The value of my record collection, even on an 'optimistic' valuation, is probably less than 1% of the value of my house. (I haven't done any of that Discogs/Excel malarkey though, so it may be 1.5%).

Whether you care or not about what happens to your record collection after you are gone, it is a burden for your loved ones to get rid of a large collection.

Also people forget that although Discogs may assign a big theoretical value to your collection, it is difficult to realize this value in practical terms. It takes someone to manage a sale almost item by item. It will take a lot of effort and time and a fire or a dealer sale will only ever realize a small fraction of the actual 'value'.

Unless something untoward happens, I plan to whittle mine down gradually to the essentials as I get older, perhaps giving chunks of it to someone who is interested and appreciates it but maybe can't afford it otherwise.

As I sit looking at the approx 800 LPs snd about 1000CDs I do also wonder.

I really must whittle stuff down - I guess apart from a few favourite artists I now play 95% Jazz

After the recent death of my Brother-in-law who always brought two of everything if he liked it I’ve seen a lot of those previously precious things black bin linered and carted off the charity or the dump.

In fact I might deadstock the vinyl today - it’s mad some of the things we hold on to - they, like us, will end up in the bin

Moving house several times,I got to the point I'd rather give vinyl away than have to lift it.
I got a guy from Oxfam to come and collect it.
This was stuff I'd spent a fortune on, you know
when blues 78's started appearing on Yazoo ,Biograph records etc.I kept the Charlie Patton double.
I now have a similar feeling about my jazz CDs over 5 or 6 hundred.

Whether you care or not about what happens to your record collection after you are gone, it is a burden for your loved ones to get rid of a large collection.

Compared with the complex or unresolved financial and legal issues some folks find themselves dealing with following a bereavement, dumping a few thousand 'vinyls' in the skip is small potatoes.

Well, yeah. Same goes for books, which is about 90% of our clutter. Though there's all that stuff in the loft ...

When my brother had to sort through his late mother-in-law's possessions, he found a shed full of broken vacuum cleaners, one of which contained a rat's nest.

Well, yeah. Same goes for books, which is about 90% of our clutter. Though there's all that stuff in the loft ...

When my brother had to sort through his late mother-in-law's possessions, he found a shed full of broken vacuum cleaners, one of which contained a rat's nest.
How about a box of used light bulbs? 15-20 suitcases in my dad's loft, all in good order and some nearly new. Among the best things I found were an old electrical consumer unit board complete with bits and a control panel console from a long since disposed of washing machine.

I think the worst/best we still have in the loft is an old metal shelving unit (in bits) from when Mrs H worked from home. Otherwise the loft contents are mainly a) old toys Mrs H can't bear to part with and b) her old school books. She's the only one who knows exactly what there is, and whereabouts it all is. If, God forbid, she goes first, I'll get a house clearing firm in. But actually we're quite likely to downsize soon, and I'll insist that most of it goes then.

When we moved out of our house in London, a metal trunk got left behind by mistake in the cellar. Weirdly, the new owner said it wasn't there when she moved in a month or so later.

Have you ever done this? Had stored records then been forced to face them all as a giant bulk object? I started to think how ridiculous the collection was in some ways. And it's not that I don't like the records. I sat down and fondly looked at many I bought as a teenager, I know pretty much where each one came from. So there's all that memoire stuff wrapped up with them, but as an object they are actually a nuisance or even a burden in some ways. And still I gathered some of them up, like Alberni string quartet playing Rawsthorne on the defunct 'Argo' label. Played it and loved it. Some Yello albums, Kraftwerk what-have-you.

For me, records and books are not just objects but are also repositories of memory. There are memories triggered by taking a record or book off the shelf that simply would not be triggered or recalled without the prompt. They are, for me, what madeleine's were for Proust.

An example: when I played Poco's A Good Feeling to Know a month or so back, I was back in my bedroom parents house with windows open, with long hair and a cheesecloth shirt and my collection of ZigZag magazines on the shelf. It's not a great record, and nothing like the stuff I listen to now, but one intrinsically linked to time and place and bringing back a whole host of memories. A lot of the records in my collection can trigger memories of a whole world, they expand out to include the furniture and decoration in the house, smells, the cars in the driveway, the journey to school, our garden, the neighbours garden. There's nothing else that triggers memories in quite the same way. The Wonderstuff's first record, similarly indifferent in terms of quality, takes me back to the world I inhabited being a skint young father in a small modern terrace.

If I was ever to tell write my life story I'd certainly use records to structure the memories and bring back details, even more so than photos. It's not quite every record tells a story - plenty are dull and have little significance - but plenty have really string associations and bring back a whole host of details from my life.

Some records are, of course, just beautiful works of art independent of connotation that still give huge pleasure. I could easily sift out the great records from the ones that have more of a personal significance and reduce the collection by at least 60% but those memories would then maybe get lost.

Seeing the collection in terms of bulk or how much it's worth financially seems to be somewhat sad. Sure they take up a lot of physical space but they also occupy an important psychological space. For me the way a collection connects to memory is an important part of why they are so valuable - not the monetary worth.

I have, however, also asked Mrs KJB, who is a decade younger than me, to sell the collection off when I peg it, after the kids have taken anything they fancy, to help pay for burial costs, and give the rest to charity. Given my propensity to pre-order, I have also warned her that records might well keep arriving for at least a month or two after I've died!

An example: when I played Poco's A Good Feeling to Know a month or so back, I was back in my bedroom parents house with windows open, with long hair and a cheesecloth shirt and my collection of ZigZag magazines on the shelf. It's not a great record, and nothing like the stuff I listen to now, but one intrinsically linked to time and place and bringing back a whole host of memories. A lot of the records in my collection can trigger memories of a whole world, they expand out to include the furniture and decoration in the house, smells, the cars in the driveway, the journey to school, our garden, the neighbours garden. There's nothing else that triggers memories in quite the same way. The Wonderstuff's first record, similarly indifferent in terms of quality, takes me back to the world I inhabited being a skint young father in a small modern terrace.
Great post and this is exactly what I was getting at. It's why it's difficulty for me because they carry so much significance in them, though as 'triggers' as you said. And since I live far away from where most of those memories were formed I like the reminders. I like your list of things invoked, the house decoration, the journey to school, just the garden... I recognise that. It's such a strange thing to have that symbiotic relationship with a fairly insignificant object and the intangible music.

Do you think about what will happen to your physical music? Maybe you just enjoy it now and don't care what happens after? Or you have a plan for it to go somewhere else?

various children and grandchildren are expressing interest in the records, c.d’s and the Hi-Fi.

I don’t think about it unless there is a thread like this, or one of the offspring has expressed a specific interest in a section. ‘Daughter wants all the Kate Bush,’ that kind of thing.

advertisement

Back