advertisement

Facing the actual magnitude of your music collection

Le Baron

Unbiased advice at reasonable rates
After the pandemic, probably like many others, I had to make a few financial sacrifices and the unit I had for storing mostly records and other things had to go. Now maybe a few here have a bigger house than I have, but it meant cutting into useful space at home. What I was shocked at is the number of vinyl records and CDs. When I dragged them out I'd actually forgotten about two thirds of them. It was like being in a shop. Now they're in the much smaller storage unit I have at home and a bloody great industrial sewing machine motor. I already had a conservative' 300 records at home just for listening.

Have you ever done this? Had stored records then been forced to face them all as a giant bulk object? I started to think how ridiculous the collection was in some ways. And it's not that I don't like the records. I sat down and fondly looked at many I bought as a teenager, I know pretty much where each one came from. So there's all that memoire stuff wrapped up with them, but as an object they are actually a nuisance or even a burden in some ways. And still I gathered some of them up, like Alberni string quartet playing Rawsthorne on the defunct 'Argo' label. Played it and loved it. Some Yello albums, Kraftwerk what-have-you.

But what will happen with it. I'm not at death's door or anything, but I remember a few years ago I used to talk to this old geezer and he told me about his life as a Polydor exec in the 60s, 70s and early 80s. About the people he'd met. In his little house he had a sizeable record collection. He lived in a sort of 'unit' attached to a posh nursing home. Then he died suddenly and because no-one came to collect his belongings they were dumped in the road for the bulk waste collection! I took some obviously, but still. Is this what happens?

Do you think about what will happen to your physical music? Maybe you just enjoy it now and don't care what happens after? Or you have a plan for it to go somewhere else?

I’m in the “enjoy it now” category. Always dreamed of having a “library” of music to delve into as I wanted. And it’s a wonderful luxury to have.
If you worry about stuff then you never actually enjoy stuff. Which is pretty pointless.

Last edited:
Modern Toss nailed it a while ago ;)

moderntoss-record%20collection.jpg

Attrib:
https://twitter.com/moderntoss/status/1403634447703019522

In m y experience, unless a family member or known close friend has an interest then it’s either charity shop, bulk sale to a collector or the Dump. Few uninterested parties will price them up and advertise. Children in general won’t want to know. I’m, hopefully, not going to smoke in the next 20 - 30 years but have already sold off half of my library as rarely play them. In 20 odd years the takers will be fewer than now. I’ve also given a rough idea about the system price sale value and will change that on a 5 yearly estimate. Brutal perhaps but I don’t want my wife to be left with a pile of stuff she has little idea what to do with. It will at least pay for the cremation etc.

This is one of the many things I’ve avoided dealing with over the years.

When we moved here, about thirty years ago, we had sold our house but our house purchase fell through, so we had to go into rented accommodation for a few months. Almost everything we owned went into storage, including my hifi and all of my music. The absence of possessions was quite liberating. Then we moved in here, and back came all of our ‘stuff’. Now it’s all over the house, and I’ve never seen all of my music; some of it’s in cupboards, and some of those cupboards are inaccessible. But that’s nothing compared to our books …

Do you think about what will happen to your physical music?

Yes. No kids or grandkids here nor any friends who'd be interested so I made up an Excel spreadsheet with everything annotated and values logged.

Not a massive collection by any stretch - 1200 LP's and 700 CD's, but some of them are quite rare and valuable.

If I popped my clogs tomorrow I could rest in peace knowing she wouldn't be worried.

At 50 - the c 3k albums I have, have been accumulated & thus far brought me a lifetime's pleasure. I could weed them down, prob should, to make space for new ideas!

The (many!) ones I really value will deliver the same for a long while yet I hope, and that's all I want. Afterwards - well, anything thought good then might find a home with those who remain who want it: or go elsewhere. It's not my problem at that point, nor has it ever be some kind of vested-trust I'd care about.

The point is: I care, have cared, very, very much more about introducing certain persons to the artists, the kind of musical thinking I have enjoyed, found interesting or important, that's been going on as long as I have been accumulating ..just stuff. That's the important bit - not my complete collection of A-Z end caps from tubes of Smarties (or sim).

This is one of the many things I’ve avoided dealing with over the years.

When we moved here, about thirty years ago, we had sold our house but our house purchase fell through, so we had to go into rented accommodation for a few months. Almost everything we owned went into storage, including my hifi and all of my music. The absence of possessions was quite liberating. Then we moved in here, and back came all of our ‘stuff’. Now it’s all over the house, and I’ve never seen all of my music; some of it’s in cupboards, and some of those cupboards are inaccessible. But that’s nothing compared to our books …
Yes. I've had that situation. The liberation from possessions (albeit temporarily) and then the return and the stuff scattered about. And books.... blimey I had to move four boxes on Sunday because it had become untenable where they were. I'd shone the phone torch to retrieve something I dropped down the back of them and saw the dust and webs that gathered in such a short time. Outrageous. Spent all afternoon hoovering, with cups of tea in-between of course.:)

Books? My wife has the complete collection of Chalet School and Agathie Christie novels that we've had to box up and move all over the country 5 times over the past 35 years. Why ? I've no idea. She never reads them. It's just. Because.

Last edited:
After the pandemic, probably like many others, I had to make a few financial sacrifices and the unit I had for storing mostly records and other things had to go. Now maybe a few here have a bigger house than I have, but it meant cutting into useful space at home. What I was shocked at is the number of vinyl records and CDs.

Do you think about what will happen to your physical music? Maybe you just enjoy it now and don't care what happens after? Or you have a plan for it to go somewhere else?
No. My mother had a very sensible attitude to ‘things’, she was entirely unsentimental about possessions and, as I get older, I find I care much less about the things I own. As for what happens to them after I’m gone, why would I care?

Everything goes equally to my two daughters and it’s highly unlikely they’d want the music or hifi. My elder daughter’s partner knows the approximate value of the hifi, so it won’t go for buttons; the music will probably go to the charity shop. The stuff in good condition isn’t rare, and the stuff that might be rare is knackered.

Books? My wife has the complete collection of Chalet School and Agathie Christie novels that we've had to box up and move all over the country 7 times over the past 35 years. Why ? I've no idea. She never reads them. It's just. Because.
Once when we were moving one of the movers carried about 14 boxes of large boxes with books and said: 'what's in these?!' And I said 'books'. He was confused, he said 'why? After I read a book I just throw it away.'

Afterwards I worked out that 'book' was actually 'magazine'.

If you asked me years ago, I would never have considered that one can own too much music. It's the tyranny of choice, sometimes you end up not listening at all because there's just too much & you don't know what to pick, or you listen to something that's mediocre and not worthwhile, simply because it's there in your collection. On top of that, owning a lot of media can mean that it starts to 'own' you instead, because of the time and effort required in storing, filing, looking for and maintaining (cleaning) the LPs and CDs.

A guy over at the Stevehoffman madhouse went from 8,000 records to 2,000 over a few years, then further down to 800. Last I heard, he had 500+ records. He said he got more pleasure from his smaller, 'all killer, no filler' collection than he ever did from his previously large collection. I believe him because he only kept all these original press Blue Notes, Prestige, classic jazz LPs, etc and some really rare spiritual jazz records...

I am now more in the school of fewer but better.

Once when we were moving one of the movers carried about 14 boxes of large boxes with books and said: 'what's in these?!' And I said 'books'. He was confused, he said 'why? After I read a book I just throw it away.'

'Book' was, apparently, my first word, but I was using it to refer to my mother's copy of 'Woman's Own' rather than to 'War and Peace'.

When I moved to current abode just over a decade ago, I considered the packing issue, went to Staples and bought fifty archive boxes to get an early start - robust, cheap, hold about the comfortable limit of mass of whatever you want to carry one at a time.Like - books.

Over the next few evenings in the preemptive sorting & binning phase, I filled over 40 with just the books I really-wanted to keep. Er, um.

That problem has worsened, since then.

When I moved to current abode just over a decade ago, I considered the packing issue, went to Staples and bought fifty archive boxes to get an early start - robust, cheap, hold about the comfortable limit of mass of whatever you want to carry one at a time.Like - books.

Over the next few evenings in the preemptive sorting & binning phase, I filled over 40 with just the books I really-wanted to keep. Er, um.

That problem has worsened, since then.
It's a real arse when that happens. I've done it too many times. Last year I filled two boxes with books that will definitely go. Yet because of the pandemic I had to store them in the storage. Now they're back here and I made the mistake of opening the boxes... you know the rest.

On the good side, around here some people little boxes (with a glass front or whatever) and you can take a book and leave a book. This is what it has come to. Remember when books were so expensive and precious that most people didn't have that many to spare? Now there are more than people (or rats). I plan to replenish all these little libraries around the neighbourhoods.

My physical music is vinyl only. I purposefully buy only nice or rare copies of what I want, some of it is investment only, some is listen only and some is both. At some point later on I'll sell off the valuable stuff and just leave myself the 'all killer' collection.

It's not really a massive collection anyway so I've no worries at the minute of it getting unmanageable.

Given some of the previous comments here I started to think about the “stuff” you own.

In a former life from 2007 - 2017 I’d given up the career thing and started doing EPC surveys as a part time earner. Worked for a few local estate agents and went into quite a few properties. Also had a couple of LA Association contracts.

The one thing that struck me most in all of this was the complete absence of “stuff” that people didn’t have. Absolutely nobody had a record collection or a hifi.

I did see one Hifi system . Was an old boy with a Quad system and ESL’s - lovely guy and we had a decent chat about it. He had a fantastic Jazz and Blues collection in the room too. One of the better days.

Apart from that. Out of 4852 properties surveyed there was nothing. Nada.

I surveyed some very expensive properties back then (including Lewis Hamiltons dads place in Tewin - well actually I just helped out on that one because my colleague at the time couldn't figure out how to include an underground bowling alley) but apart from the odd Bang and Olufsen lifestyle thing. Nothing. No records no hifi.No stuff at all.

advertisement

Back