advertisement

Facebook Marketplace

Another thing I find amusing and seems particularly bad on facebook is two or three photos taken at just barely slightly different angles of the product.

I advertised a few items there on a recommendation by a work mate.

Is this the new Gumtree where all the idiots hang around & have nothing better to do than make lowball offers & when you politely inform them that the price is the price on the advert they start hurling insults at you ?

I was told to go and " reproduce myself " before by a nice young lady, judged on the name the person goes under, because I would not budge & she really really really wanted it.

I despair, I really do.
Lots of time wasters & scammers but i have also had excellent transactions with some lovely people.

Sold quite a few items recently on FBMP and genereally the experience has been positive for what after all is a free service. However the big problem I find is with 'no shows', i.e. idiots who say they want something and so you agree a day\time for collection only for them not to appear. Also had this problem many times when disposing of stuff on Freecycle, very frustrating.

I advertised a few items there on a recommendation by a work mate.

Is this the new Gumtree where all the idiots hang around & have nothing better to do than make lowball offers & when you politely inform them that the price is the price on the advert they start hurling insults at you ?

I was told to go and " reproduce myself " before by a nice young lady, judged on the name the person goes under, because I would not budge & she really really really wanted it.

I despair, I really do.
How do you know it was a she :D

Perhaps against better judgement I have tried hard to buy something off FBMP last couple of weeks. Multiple options to collect were offered. Seller was evasive, ignored messages for hours, sometimes days and then got stroppy because I couldn’t drive to him yesterday at the one specific time he offered. Left me a “lovely” voice message appearing to tell me how ungrateful I am when he’s doing me a favour by selling his item to me. At least I think that’s what he meant!

I’m sure he is sat there thinking I’m the time waster but I started two weeks ago with an asking price offer to collect same day. Call me old fashioned but a seller has to make at least some effort to be responsive and available.

I’ve bought a few bargain items from FB Marketplace (i.e. Gaggia Classic with tamper and basket upgrade - £50!), always collected from local sellers. Some from the local Buy it Sell it group.

I always report obvious scams. like expensive Iphones listed for £95.

Perhaps against better judgement I have tried hard to buy something off FBMP last couple of weeks. Multiple options to collect were offered. Seller was evasive, ignored messages for hours, sometimes days and then got stroppy because I couldn’t drive to him yesterday at the one specific time he offered. Left me a “lovely” voice message appearing to tell me how ungrateful I am when he’s doing me a favour by selling his item to me. At least I think that’s what he meant!

I’m sure he is sat there thinking I’m the time waster but I started two weeks ago with an asking price offer to collect same day. Call me old fashioned but a seller has to make at least some effort to be responsive and available.
As soon as you get the indication that someone isn't going to be easy to deal with it's probably time to quit the transaction.

Got this for free on facebook today, coolio!

3qzj1s.jpeg

Well low n behold the Q Acoustics sub I had sold for its asking price yesterday, via FB Marketplace... o_O

So I'm just simmering my hat as I type this :D

I reactivated my account after a long time (and changed my surname so I can't be found) due to what's happened with Meta recently and listed the sub on Thursday, it's taken 2 days to sell, so tBH, very happy with that!

I can suspend my account again now :)

Got some stuff up there atm. Lots of “ooh how nice” comments, a bunch of ‘likes’ and a couple of ‘is it still available?’ followed by nowt. A bit disappointing tbh

I sold a TT on gumtree in less than a week that I had for sale on the forums for nearly three years the buyer was local and came and collected and paid cash.

I also sold a full size plastic skeleton on FBM and a used Saniflo:D in days in fact after selling the skeleton which went down south somewhere a local woman contacted me to ask if it was still for sale and my daughter regularly sells stuff on FBM.

That’s kind of my point. I’m one of those sellers who asks people not to ask! If it’s up, it’s available.
And sometimes when you ask, it gets taken down without even the courtesy of a reply, as they were too lazy to do it when they sold it. So it is worth asking.

It’s Craigslist in the US. Sold and bought a fair amount. A lot of time wasters. Immediately delete the ‘is it available’ replies, but I say that in the ad. Sold a bike just yesterday, so it can work.

advertisement

Back