advertisement

F*$&£n Hell it's Hot

My lasting memory of 76 is being at the beach at Tenby (almost certain it was Tenby, I was only about 12).

Tens of thousands of mackerel swam right up the shore and the water was alive with thrashing fish, people were just scooping them up putting them into buckets, never seen anything like it before or after.

I remember my dad walked for hours trying to buy 5 hats to protect us kids from the sun, everywhere was sold out due to the 'heatwave' - or maybe he just went to the pub for a quiet pint on his own, with 5 kids I wouldn't have blamed him ;)

I remember 1984 because quite by chance I had bought a really old tatty MGB Roadster for £500, which in my early 20s was a lot of cash. I remember we often had four of us in there with two sitting on the back bodywork, and hacking it down the country roads.
Doesn't bear thinking about now, does it...[thought bubble; I wonder what happened to Denise & Penny?]
Those were good days.

The best summer I can remember was 1989. Better than either 1976, 1983, or 1984. We didn't have extreme temperatures or extreme drought, but in 1989 we had mostly outstanding weather from early May until early Sept (with one or two blips thrown in). None of the other summers that people mostly remember were as consistent.

Also 2006 was very good. Settled and sunny in June, scorching in July, unsettled in August, and one of the best Septembers ever.

According to the met office, August 1997 was the hottest month on record.

I've just viewed the met office stats on their web site, which provide month by month, year by year records...............and my memory doesn't deceive me!

Certainly remember 1976, we'd planted loads of trees and it was one of my summer jobs to water them each week. All survived apart from one which someone drove into.
Record potato year too so the overdraft finally got paid off, interest rates were around 14% , painful.

The best summer I can remember was 1989. Better than either 1976, 1983, or 1984. We didn't have extreme temperatures or extreme drought, but in 1989 we had mostly outstanding weather from early May until early Sept (with one or two blips thrown in). None of the other summers that people mostly remember were as consistent.

Also 2006 was very good. Settled and sunny in June, scorching in July, unsettled in August, and one of the best Septembers ever.

According to the met office, August 1997 was the hottest month on record.

I've just viewed the met office stats on their web site, which provide month by month, year by year records...............and my memory doesn't deceive me!

I clearly remember 1989, and it was a good'un.

Also, 2006 sticks out. It was a very good summer until the kids broke up from school, then rubbish for six weeks, and then great again when the kids returned to school. It was a shame for many families.

Midgies are easy, got a Horse fly bite this year. despite antiseptic and antihystamine its gone septic
Ugh.

It can't be that hot in England, no one rioting...

You did look stunning in that bikini and pearls the other day...
Could've shaved though

1976 what a year, not least because I discovered draught Bass whilst camping in Devon/Cornwall/Devon ending up at Sidmouth folk festival.

Yesterday, at 11a.m. it was 40 c in direct sunlight in our garden...

in 1976 i could get my hand/arm into a crack in the lawn up to my elbow (ahem) was only 11 yrs old but we have not hit that prolonged proper summer again (yet)

We can all, if we're old enough remember 1976. Yes, 1975 was also good. I was 6 at the time but can just about remember.

What about 1984, 1989 (not as hot as 1976 but sunnier), 1990, 1991, 1995, 2003, 2005 and 2006?

2003 and 2006 saw some temperature records fall. This looks like being the first decent summer since 2006. I dusted down the fan that has been lying in the garage since 2006. It still works! Yay!

We can all, if we're old enough remember 1976. Yes, 1975 was also good. I was 6 at the time but can just about remember.

What about 1984, 1989 (not as hot as 1976 but sunnier), 1990, 1991, 1995, 2003, 2005 and 2006?

2003 and 2006 saw some temperature records fall. This looks like being the first decent summer since 2006. I dusted down the fan that has been lying in the garage since 2006. It still works! Yay!

Yes. 2006 was the year we 'invested' in some garden furniture that has sat unused in the shed ever since.

1976 was the year I graduated. By a strange coincidence, I am the same age now that my father was in '76.

When I was a kid I remember Wimbledon being the marker for the summer, but now we are having this heat and the poor kids are still at school, which I think is cruel. I hope this continues so that they can enjoy their summer too.
My children are young and have no memories of a hot summer at home.

advertisement

Back