advertisement

EWA pfm tour: ABCaudio demo kit

Speak to Alan he helped me sort out shipping to NI. The post office is a rip off these days

If everyone starts asking Alan to sort shipping, when its quite simple to do its oneself when its UK to UK, thats going to add a considerable amount of workload to him for little/no reward.

Last edited:
I use these guys for insurance. Much cheaper, though never had to claim so can't comment on that. The one time I had to make a claim through a UK courier they rejected the claim as box showed no external damage. Was an amp, it was clear they had dropped the box as the transformer can off.

The guy who sent me the box of IC's and mains cables sent it with Royal Mail 2nd Class - total insured value £50! He was a brave man for £1500 worth of cables.
I think that was me? If so it was a tracked service insured as above. I don't insured with RM for high value items.

Suggest you ask Alan to arrange shipping, he said as much in one of his posts, and you refund him. Business customers can usually get much cheaper rates with insurance included.

I think that was me? If so it was a tracked service insured as above. I don't insured with RM for high value items.

Suggest you ask Alan to arrange shipping, he said as much in one of his posts, and you refund him. Business customers can usually get much cheaper rates with insurance included.

It was Signed For, which isnt fully tracked and holds a maximum of £50 compensation for loss or damage. Third party insurance is interesting, never seen that before, but probably just as difficult to get a pay out.

Overland Express are the best third party bookers, owned by a Hifi buff, so one of the very few companies that will insure hifi, but their insurances rates have gone up ten fold recently sadly. Used to be £20 up to £3000.

Business customer don't save that much I can assure you, and insurance is most of the time still just as expensive as buying privately. Most Hifi retailers send out items without insurance. Peter Tyson is a good example, they worked out that it's so expensive to insure every item properly, it's actually more cost affective to them to cover the damages/losses themselves rather than insure every parcel.

If you special delivery it's tracked and only in transit for one day so the risk of it going AWOL is very very low I'd estimate less than 1 in 1000. Assuming they are packaged correctly the risk of damage for cables is also extremely low.

I didn't insure the ls40s when I sent them on to someone.

If you special delivery it's tracked and only in transit for one day so the risk of it going AWOL is very very low I'd estimate less than 1 in 1000. Assuming they are packaged correctly the risk of damage for cables is also extremely low.

I didn't insure the ls40s when I sent them on to someone.

Special Delivery - definitely the best, but as found, the LS80's are outside of their weight limits by the sounds of it

I would really love the opportunity to hear the ls40s vs the ls80s , struggling to get a response from Alan right now.....

OK, time to put my two penn'orth in about the LS-40's.

My normal cables are Mogami 3401 based, and they are no slouch in themselves, presenting very well.

The LS-40's are an upgrade, for sure. I've been running them to drive my "main" speakers, compared to the Mogami's they're very detailed and analytical - they don't present as warmly. I now know that there's a little smearing with the Mogamis, and having heard that I'm not going to be happy with them EVER. So they're going to my Ex to put into her system (better than the plain copper she was going to be using), and I'll be looking at an upgrade. Hopefully I'll be able to afford LS-40's!

I feel like a bit of a traitor with my sub cables, since they're now running Tellurium Q Blue in favour of plain copper (got a pair off eBay at a great price). Same mind behind them at least. I'll be swapping the cables from main to sub duties tomorrow so I can comment on the differences there as well.

Either way, EWA (and Mr Wonfor) have come up with marvellous cable in the LS-40. Detailed, crisp and presenting the music very well indeed. An audible step up in my system from the Mogami wire, which (barring the flaws I now hear, dammit) was no bad cable in itself.

OK, time to put my two penn'orth in about the LS-40's.

My normal cables are Mogami 3401 based, and they are no slouch in themselves, presenting very well.

The LS-40's are an upgrade, for sure. I've been running them to drive my "main" speakers, compared to the Mogami's they're very detailed and analytical - they don't present as warmly. I now know that there's a little smearing with the Mogamis, and having heard that I'm not going to be happy with them EVER. So they're going to my Ex to put into her system (better than the plain copper she was going to be using), and I'll be looking at an upgrade. Hopefully I'll be able to afford LS-40's!

I feel like a bit of a traitor with my sub cables, since they're now running Tellurium Q Blue in favour of plain copper (got a pair off eBay at a great price). Same mind behind them at least. I'll be swapping the cables from main to sub duties tomorrow so I can comment on the differences there as well.

Either way, EWA (and Mr Wonfor) have come up with marvellous cable in the LS-40. Detailed, crisp and presenting the music very well indeed. An audible step up in my system from the Mogami wire, which (barring the flaws I now hear, dammit) was no bad cable in itself.

Make sure you don’t try the 80s or you’ll not be able to go back to the 40s ;)

I may not be able to afford the 40's the way things are going :( I declined to put my name on the 80 list because there's not a hope in hell of being able to afford/justify them in current circumstances.

advertisement

Back