advertisement

EWA pfm tour: ABCaudio demo kit

Hello everyone,

Thank you for the comments and feedback so far, it's great to hear! I hope all are enjoying the demo.

A reminder of how this all works: Once you have a tour item, you look at the list (post#2 in the thread). Who is the next participant after yourself? Contact them via pfm messaging/conversation, and arrange to post your item on after a week or so. A little longer if you wish. If you find the cost is high, contact me and I can arrange shipping using our ABCaudio account - you'll reimburse me afterwards. You will need to provide me the size/weight of the package, and full name/address/email/contact number for both parties, including availability as the courier will come to your home.

Matt - I am on it! Hopefully tomorrow.

Sorry for dipping in and out of the thread at random - real life has a habit of intruding and demanding one's full attention! ABCaudio is mostly me in my workshop, so when I am not around things tend to pile up for a few days.

Here are my thoughts on the M50 power amp following the loan period, thanks to Alan and Colin for setting this up. Following the success of the LS 40 loan I was intrigued to see what the EWA amps sounded like compared to my existing Teddy Pardo ST60. These are 2 very different beasts and how to explain the differences is pretty difficult

M50 Possibly the cleanest distortion free sound I have heard in my home which took a bit of getting used to. The clarity and detail offered is something to behold. Also the addition weight and bass gave a solid presence to the music. That extra bass weight in my room did cause me issues, as due to limited space I am unable to move my speakers to see if I could eliminate the added boom. I also found that after a while I was listening to the system not the music if that makes sense, it seemed more detached and less real. I put the ST60 back in which immediately seemed thinner in comparison but where this amp excels is in PRAT and 3D imaging which was instantly more evident than with the M50. Bass on the ST60 though not as deep or prominent is tight, tuneful and fast.

I imagine the M50 highlights the weaknesses elsewhere in my current set up but it’s all I had for this demo. I was hoping the M50 would add to the benefits the LS 40 bought about but found it less engaging than my existing amp. Synergy with components and rooms is always tricky but it’s not to say that in another setup the experience would be completely different.

Here are my thoughts on the M50 power amp following the loan period, thanks to Alan and Colin for setting this up. Following the success of the LS 40 loan I was intrigued to see what the EWA amps sounded like compared to my existing Teddy Pardo ST60. These are 2 very different beasts and how to explain the differences is pretty difficult

M50 Possibly the cleanest distortion free sound I have heard in my home which took a bit of getting used to. The clarity and detail offered is something to behold. Also the addition weight and bass gave a solid presence to the music. That extra bass weight in my room did cause me issues, as due to limited space I am unable to move my speakers to see if I could eliminate the added boom. I also found that after a while I was listening to the system not the music if that makes sense, it seemed more detached and less real. I put the ST60 back in which immediately seemed thinner in comparison but where this amp excels is in PRAT and 3D imaging which was instantly more evident than with the M50. Bass on the ST60 though not as deep or prominent is tight, tuneful and fast.

I imagine the M50 highlights the weaknesses elsewhere in my current set up but it’s all I had for this demo. I was hoping the M50 would add to the benefits the LS 40 bought about but found it less engaging than my existing amp. Synergy with components and rooms is always tricky but it’s not to say that in another setup the experience would be completely different.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Matt. Room acoustics and synergy - that always has to come first! I am glad you enjoyed listening to it.

The M50 amplifier has arrived in Northern Ireland :)

Big thanks to Alan and Matt for organising the courier as it sounds like the custom declarations were a bit of a pain (what a mess that is).

Just got it connected (which was simplicity itself) and warming up now but actually it seems to have come on song within two tracks which is great.

Initial impressions are natural, easy to listen to, toe-tappy and engaging with a definite touch of class A tonality and feel.

I’m loathe to pinpoint specifics because it’s such a well balanced and well integrated sound top to bottom but bass is a standout feature for detail and texture and for not dying off in anyway whatsoever on a big/low note.

I am getting a bit of hum/noise through the speakers but that maybe because I have it sat directly on top of my preamp rather than pulling my own power amp out of the rack.

More later.

Has the Claymore Integ. Moved on yet? I haven't heard any thoughts about it since I passed it over..

There is a bit of hum on the trial M50 this is what Alan sent me

You may have noticed a hum from the amplifier, this is the last of the previous gen M-50 amplifiers (same for the Claymore out there). The next amp to be built has additional regulators on the SECA class A constant current source, which is what picks up the hum from mains supply. Some locations these EWA amps are as quiet as a grave, but at others they hum, so Colin has taken a belt and braces approach to sorting it out.

There is a bit of hum on the trial M50 this is what Alan sent me

You may have noticed a hum from the amplifier, this is the last of the previous gen M-50 amplifiers (same for the Claymore out there). The next amp to be built has additional regulators on the SECA class A constant current source, which is what picks up the hum from mains supply. Some locations these EWA amps are as quiet as a grave, but at others they hum, so Colin has taken a belt and braces approach to sorting it out.

And the blood was everywhere.

Has the Claymore Integ. Moved on yet? I haven't heard any thoughts about it since I passed it over..

Hello,
The Claymore arrived 10 days ago and is still with me. I haven't had the chance to sit down and spend some quality time with it; work and family are keeping me busy.
I will write a review, already have a the key points, later this week. Also will be getting my Onix back from a service and will compare the Claymore to it too. Then the amp is set to go to @Heckyman .

Sorry guys for keeping you on edge.

Cheers
Ivelin

No rush on my side @IVELIN — I just put my name down out of curiosity as the list was short and I’m keen to hear as many of the EWA amps as I can. I’ll actually be away most of next week too…

If there are no objections from @ABCaudio and no one else fancies jumping the queue ahead of me, you could hang on to it a bit longer.

I heard some hum on the M50 too… I didn’t mention it as I didn’t think it especially relevant to the musical reproduction. I had a Purifi-based amp at the same time which was dead silent, but which sounded nowhere near as good as the M50. Normally I think of “noise” = “distortion/loss of detail” but the M50 did not appear to lose any detail compared with a silent-through-the-speakers amp.

Hello I have just recieved the IC-25, as I have a full NVA system I have been using there interconnects, I like the sound of the IC-25 and would like to hear what the LS-40 speaker cable sounds like. Is the loan scheme still active?

Hello I have just recieved the IC-25, as I have a full NVA system I have been using there interconnects, I like the sound of the IC-25 and would like to hear what the LS-40 speaker cable sounds like. Is the loan scheme still active?
Hi Peter,

I've asked Emil to contact you via a private conversation to arrange shipping to you. In sure he will be in contact soon.

The first two parts of the thread should be helpful in seeing how things work.

Hi All,

Would you mind suggesting some test tracks? Ideally something where the differences will be so easy to hear. I am mainly rock/metal dude which is probably not the kind of music for spotting the slightest differences.

Thanks
Ivelin

advertisement

Back