advertisement

EWA LS80 speaker cables

Dipped my toes in the other month with Starting Point. Just ordered the LS-25/IC-25. Based on how I like those, will take a serious look at the LS-80.

Is it crazy that I think Starting Point is really good? It’s right up there with my favorite Japanese dip form copper cable. Also kind of up there with Silversmith Fidelium which is very popular in the states.

I am in complete amazement with this LS-25/IC-25 combo...LS-40 or LS-80 next??? I would say this combination is end game if not for two more speaker cables and an interconnect above this. Rocking a pair of Kef R3s and a Rega IO (yes, an IO, with an SR Purple fuse which took this amp to new heights - better than an LFD NCSE mk3 that I demoed later).

Colin, you and Alan need to get the word out stateside - these will sell like hotcakes over here.

Hello.

I am a complete newbie to PFM and only stumbled upon the site whilst looking for speaker cables for my current set up which is as follows.

Leema Tucana 11AE
Leema Antilla 11eco
Sonus Faber Sonnetto 5 speakers.
Chord Signature T/A RCA interconnect
From my old system, Odyssey 4 bi wiring the speakers (although I have tried the conductors doubled up with jumpers with a significant increase in bass but a loss of detail in my set up).

Until finding this thread I had never heard of EWA cables or ABC audio and am seriously impressed by everything I have read. I was considering a “rivals” cables but after reading on how they treat employees have decided against that………

I have actually spoken to Alan, a very helpful and knowledgeable person.

I am sure that I will order some cables shortly but am wondering whether the extra cost of the LS80 is justified in my system and if so do I use single terminations at the speaker with jump links or bi wire them? With my present cable this is a more detailed sound.

The alternative is a (more wallet friendly as I need 10m in unequal lengths) set of LS 40 cables which I am sure will be better than the Odyssey I currently have!

I have not read about these cables being used with any Leema or Sonus Faber products and wondered if anyone on here could offer any thoughts?

All advice appreciated.

Kind regards
Chris.

Hi Chris,

Bi-wire is best with nearly all cables in my past experiences, but with have found from LS40 and LS80 the improvements are good but I could not as a working man justifies the extra cost unless I had loads of cash .
So I suggest you ask Alan to get on the tour list ASAP

Best Col

Hi Col.

Thank you for your reply.

I agree about the cost, two lengths of LS 80 is way beyond me! However I believe a single run of the LS 80 can be terminated with four connections at the loudspeaker end and two at the amplifier? This is probably what I was thinking of and wondering if it had the same effect as bi wiring with two completely separate cables.

I also mentioned to Alan about the different cable lengths and he said that was no problem in real terms.

Sadly the 3m pair on tour aren’t long enough with the position of my system and it’s not very easy to reconfigure but I will see what I can do…..

Regards
Chris

Hi Chris,
I got my LS80’s with 4 spade connections at the speaker end, saves using jumpers and can be used with speakers with single terminals. Double runs of 80’s would be insane!

Agree with @Heckyman .
Your system is good enough for LS80. It is a noticeable improvement on the 40. I didn’t even contemplate bi-wiring LS 40. LS80 with jumpers is excellent

Agree with @Heckyman .
Your system is good enough for LS80. It is a noticeable improvement on the 40. I didn’t even contemplate bi-wiring LS 40. LS80 with jumpers is excellent

I know nothing about the specific cables in question (so naturally I feel compelled to comment) but IME a single run of a 'better' cable has always given more enjoyable results than bi-wiring with something lesser.

Thank you all for your comments.

I’m afraid I’m a bit of a technophobe, I only listen to music on CD and wouldn’t have a clue as to how to stream or download any music to anything!

I bought the Leema kit blind to be honest after years of owning a fairly top end Cyrus system. A decision I have not regretted at all. I just want to get some loudspeaker cable now that will be a” destination cable” so it looks like I need to find a way to afford the LS 80’s! I feel the Odyssey cables are definitely holding things back.

I was curious about the speaker connections as mine can be bi wired which I have found makes a huge differ with my current cables. Thanks Heckyman for the info on your cables, I assume there is no difference in sound between the single wired loan cables you tried and the bi wired version you purchased ? I wasn’t sure if the sound would change with double connections and “splitting” the doubled up cables of the LS 80. As you said though, jumpers are not needed with this configuration so the cost is less which all helps!

I read somewhere an IC 80 interconnect is on its way soon also……….

I am no expert at all and am glad I stumbled across this forum and EWA cables, they look like a “fit and forget” solution.

Kind regards
Chris

Read the EWA threads first. You might find you are happy with LS40 - @Cereal Killer on here has a seriously expensive system and is very happy with LS40. What you will find is that many people who demo’d the cables ended up buying them

Thanks Heckyman for the info on your cables, I assume there is no difference in sound between the single wired loan cables you tried and the bi wired version you purchased ?

I demoed (single wired) LS40's (very good) and bought biwireable 80's which were just fantastic. Made no sense to me to get single wired 80's and use links, but I didn't compare directly.

Hi! everyone!
I'm another new newbie to PFM, stumbled on it by accident! I was browsing on e-bay recently to replace my 6 month old Tellerium Black II's for posibly Ultra Black's and came upon a seller with a 2M pair of TQ Ultra Black's MK.1 for sale and he happened to mention that they were one of the last cables made by Colin Wonfor before he was ousted at TQ! Curiousty got the better of me so I did a google search on Colin and read the awful way that Colin was treated at TQ and is present association with EWA. To cut a long story short I ordered a pair of LS-25'S + links from Alan a couple of weeks ago and I have now had them for a week. The thing is I am now 75 and being a hifi nut since the 70's and gone through numorous hifi kit over the years I can honestly say that the last week of owning the LS-25's is one of the highlights of trying to get the best sound of my current kit and I have spent countless hours over the last week re-visiting my vast collection of CD's so thank you Colin and Alan! I have yet to try my collection of vinyl, some half speed, so looking forward to that soon.

However, reading the PFM forums (LS-40 and LS-80) I am about to take a leap of faith and bite the bullet and upgrade again before the 30 days return policy for the LS-25's. LS-40's or LS-80's?? Watch this space!

Hi! everyone!
I'm another new newbie to PFM, stumbled on it by accident! I was browsing on e-bay recently to replace my 6 month old Tellerium Black II's for posibly Ultra Black's and came upon a seller with a 2M pair of TQ Ultra Black's MK.1 for sale and he happened to mention that they were one of the last cables made by Colin Wonfor before he was ousted at TQ! Curiousty got the better of me so I did a google search on Colin and read the awful way that Colin was treated at TQ and is present association with EWA. To cut a long story short I ordered a pair of LS-25'S + links from Alan a couple of weeks ago and I have now had them for a week. The thing is I am now 75 and being a hifi nut since the 70's and gone through numorous hifi kit over the years I can honestly say that the last week of owning the LS-25's is one of the highlights of trying to get the best sound of my current kit and I have spent countless hours over the last week re-visiting my vast collection of CD's so thank you Colin and Alan! I have yet to try my collection of vinyl, some half speed, so looking forward to that soon.

However, reading the PFM forums (LS-40 and LS-80) I am about to take a leap of faith and bite the bullet and upgrade again before the 30 days return policy for the LS-25's. LS-40's or LS-80's?? Watch this space!

Go for the 80's, worlds apart from the 40's and lightyears ahead of the 25's. You wont regret it :)

Hi! flutteringwow
Thanks for the tip! So,the LS-80's it is then! I still cant get over the impact the LS-25's have had over the last week! I have tried many speaker cables over the years Chord Odyssey, Kimber 8TC, QED Silver Anniversary..XT40's..XTube 400's and in the last year the Tellerium Black II's but none of them come near the LS 25's:)

advertisement

Back