advertisement

Eversolo DMP A8 - Is this the end for all other streamers?

Im glad your enjoying it, on the flip side, like stated above plenty come up for sale which might suggest other folk dont. So who's right..? Whos's wrong?
Are there really plenty that come up for sale compared to how many have been purchased. When I read on forums what facilities people want to make their life easier, if it doesn't make them breakfast in bed every morning it's a no no. Have they forgotten when using vinyl, you had to get off your chair, sort through your albums, remove and replace the record and 20 minutes later turn the bloody thing over. 😁

Personally I tend to think of YouTube ‘reviewers’ as being YouTube ‘influencers’ rather that reliable reviewers.

I've found most reviews to be fairly accurate in their assessment of the A8. Really good streamer, decent DAC, excellent build and functionality. It's a really solid, tidy bit of kit that does what it's supposed to.

I moved mine on; I didn't see the value in keeping a device whose DAC I wasn't using. Used the money to get a dedicated streamer, no DAC, for the same dough which should offer better performance.

On reviewers, if folk start finding the gear doesn't match the reviews then those reviewers will likely find they start getting less views. There are definitely one or two hype merchants who I now watch less and/or pinch of salt their feedback. Equally there are a few whose opinions I trust after buying based on their reviews and the gear met expectations.

So much better than 15 years ago and forums/YouTube weren't as popular, just relying on What Hi-Fi's reviews which seem to spend 17 paragraphs of waffle and 1 paragraph of actually trying to describe how it actually sounds by some anonymous author (and why are the Aussie WHF reviews so much better than the UK ones?)

@Columbo You might have jumped the gun, I found even my A6 streamer to be on par with my Lumin U2 mini, sold because I preferred the Eversolo app. I never expected to buy an A8, one popped up on ebay (at the right or wrong time :rolleyes: ), a returned unit which was a bids sale and | won. I've not compared the streamers since they will be used in different systems.

@Columbo You might have jumped the gun, I found even my A6 streamer to be on par with my Lumin U2 mini, sold because I preferred the Eversolo app. I never expected to buy an A8, one popped up on ebay (at the right or wrong time :rolleyes: ), a returned unit which was a bids sale and | won. I've not compared the streamers since they will be used in different systems.

All part of the fun of this insane hobby 😁 I'll find out soon enough, if the sodding thing ever gets sent. (One review said the Rhein Z1 Plus was punching with £10k+ streamers. Don't know about that, but that it's also a Roon Core and Roon Bridge in is a big part of the appeal)

@Columbo Sorry I forgot it was you buying the Rhein Z1 Plus, I thought it looked an ideal solution for people who want to cut down on their box count. I did also ask you to post a few comments when it finally arrived. 😂

"Is this the end for all other streamers?" this seems doubtful, as the streaming front end is prone to rapid development and older systems becoming unable to operate with newer forms of media. This has happened to me already, my Naim streamer bought in 2015 is already out of date and required work arounds to play music from some sources and I expect it to happen to me and my stereo again.

My view of streaming devices is buy one that provides reasonable quality, I believe many do, and have the features you want whether this relates to the user interface, (this matters to me) or DSP features such as PEQ and buy it and use it for the duration because it will invariably require replacing at some point in the near future. Even a PC based system hosting your favorite playback software will cease to run the latest version of the software eventuality or its operating system will cease to be supported and ultimately require replacement.

From what I have read, the A6 ticks many of my feature requirements and the A8 a few more, but like all streamers at this time it is unlikely to out live the useful life of my amplifier or speakers.

My position is don't spend money on a streamer that you are not prepared to loose in the not too distant future.

If I wasn't completely happy with my current set up of an RPi plus Allo SPDIF hat running Picoreplayer I'd probably buy an A6, whilst I like the features of the A8, the additional cost puts me off and I already have DSP PEQ features built into my RME DAC, and by keeping the functions of steamer and DAC separate I hope to eek a bit more useable life out of my stereo components down stream of the streamer.

Last edited:
Bring out the garlic and silver bullets, someone is actually checking the facts!
Looking on HiFi Shark is barely checking the facts, come on guys enough of your nonsense. Its the same names over and over again that defend everything. I dont know who your trying to fool. Its the same with all the other sites. Its almost like your immune to criticism or other points of view. I may have just signed up due to wanting to purchase something but ive been a silent reader for years. Same folk saying the same things. A little clique that comment on everything and anything and leave there little likes for each other. Infact it was another poster who said about the amount or Eversolo second hand coming up not me. I merely repeated it and agreed as I have seen them. Ive seen some advertised ForSale 2nd hand and Sold in hours and the adds gone.

Plenty?

Just looked on HIFI shark and there are 2x for sale, both from dealers at full retail price.

Under sold history it shows 3x unique sales since Dec 23,
Looking on HiFi Shark is barely checking the facts, come on guys enough of your nonsense. Its the same names over and over again that defend everything. I dont know who your trying to fool. Its the same with all the other sites. Its almost like your immune to criticism or other points of view. I may have just signed up due to wanting to purchase something but ive been a silent reader for years. Same folk saying the same things. A little clique that comment on everything and anything and leave there little likes for each other. Infact it was another poster who said about the amount or Eversolo second hand coming up for sale not me. I merely repeated it and agreed as I have seen them. Ive seen some advertised ForSale 2nd hand and Sold in hours and the adds gone.

Audio Emotion is the UK distributor so they would have had to cover the cost of all those free units. Eversolo would have provided a couple of units for review but nothing like what you are claiming.

Sounds like you haven't got a clue what you are talking about.
So lets put things into perspective here. So Far you have based your replies on the basis that everyone in the Uk have received a demo unit direct from A/Emotion claiming a couple and then followed it up with you looked on Hi-Fi Shark and seen 2 currently ForSale. Then you have the cheek to suggest I dont know what Im on about... Like Ive stated there is a whole bigger world out there other than the UK. No wonder the UK scene is dragging behind the rest and struggling with less and less shops when you read some of folk on forums.

I've found most reviews to be fairly accurate in their assessment of the A8. Really good streamer, decent DAC, excellent build and functionality. It's a really solid, tidy bit of kit that does what it's supposed to.

I moved mine on; I didn't see the value in keeping a device whose DAC I wasn't using. Used the money to get a dedicated streamer, no DAC, for the same dough which should offer better performance.

On reviewers, if folk start finding the gear doesn't match the reviews then those reviewers will likely find they start getting less views. There are definitely one or two hype merchants who I now watch less and/or pinch of salt their feedback. Equally there are a few whose opinions I trust after buying based on their reviews and the gear met expectations.

So much better than 15 years ago and forums/YouTube weren't as popular, just relying on What Hi-Fi's reviews which seem to spend 17 paragraphs of waffle and 1 paragraph of actually trying to describe how it actually sounds by some anonymous author (and why are the Aussie WHF reviews so much better than the UK ones?)
Well Said, no different to magazines or Forums ( ironically) . If you dont like a Mags style and content, Dont Buy it. Dont Like a Channel, Dont Watch it. Its plain and simple but try telling that to the older folk.

@20hzFlat If they're selling quickly, there must be a good reason. Here's the proof you are correct in the number of sales, https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=eversolo+A6/A8&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1

But what does that mean? Are you saying the Eversolo streamers are all hype, because I would strongly disagree. Like I said previously, some folk want a facility that the Eversolo doesn't give them, they may want to upgrade, they don't like the app. I like everything about the Eversolo, it gives me exactly what I want which is to stream music and play my music files, I don't need fancy facilities, I'm happy to put an album on and simply play from start to finish.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
@20hzFlat If they're selling quickly, there must be a good reason. Here's the proof you are correct in the number of sales, https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=eversolo+A6/A8&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1

But what does that mean? Are you saying the Eversolo streamers are all hype, because I would strongly disagree. Like I said previously, some folk want a facility that the Eversolo doesn't give them, they may want to upgrade, they don't like the app. I like everything about the Eversolo, it gives me exactly what I want which is to stream music and play my music files, I don't need fancy facilities, I'm happy to put an album on and simply play from start to finish.
Every reply, you guys seems to be changing the goal posts to fit you own narrative. The question was.... Is this the End For All Streamers? My answer was simple -- No. If that spoils the fact youve bought one and it possibly hurts your feelings , then sorry mate but tough.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
So lets put things into perspective here. So Far you have based your replies on the basis that everyone in the Uk have received a demo unit direct from A/Emotion claiming a couple and then followed it up with you looked on Hi-Fi Shark and seen 2 currently ForSale. Then you have the cheek to suggest I dont know what Im on about... Like Ive stated there is a whole bigger world out there other than the UK. No wonder the UK scene is dragging behind the rest and struggling with less and less shops when you read some of folk on forums.
Best to ignore the troll(s), which of course isn’t the same as ignoring people with a different view! On another thread I gave as a clear an appraisal as I could of what some equipment did and was accused of shilling the maker. It’s a shame as there are many really good posters here, covering a wide spread of views, who don’t resort to name calling.

As for the streamer; sorry not much to say as I’m happy using a Mac mini for streaming local files and a node2i for the relatively rare occasions when I stream from Tidal or the Beeb. One thing this thread reminds me of is that folk aren’t so much discussing the equipment and the methods used for transmitting data as their own hearing. Having lost a chunk of hearing suddenly (much now recovered thank goodness) I did start to get get a bit cynical about some posts but soon realised I was more frustrated that I could no longer discern the finer points of home reproduction. I can’t help wondering if that might be the case for those who are fond of shouting foo in all directions!

Best to ignore the troll(s), which of course isn’t the same as ignoring people with a different view! On another thread I gave as a clear an appraisal as I could of what some equipment did and was accused of shilling the maker. It’s a shame as there are many really good posters here, covering a wide spread of views, who don’t resort to name calling.

As for the streamer; sorry not much to say as I’m happy using a Mac mini for streaming local files and a node2i for the relatively rare occasions when I stream from Tidal or the Beeb. One thing this thread reminds me of is that folk aren’t so much discussing the equipment and the methods used for transmitting data as their own hearing. Having lost a chunk of hearing suddenly (much now recovered thank goodness) I did start to get get a bit cynical about some posts but soon realised I was more frustrated that I could no longer discern the finer points of home reproduction. I can’t help wondering if that might be the case for those who are fond of shouting foo in all directions!
A lot of the forums seem to be full of cliques, or very blinkered opinions and folk that will defend anything to the hilt because they own one, or suggest how fantastic something is that they surprisingly own. Its always Me, Me , Me. You can spot them a mile away. I havent even given my opinion on the Eversolo yet sound wise, feature wise, Connections or anything. I merely answered No to the question and a few facts that took seconds to prove when someone bothered to look. I may come across as blunt but its soon sifts out the folk I will avoid engaging with. They will probably do the same with me but I dont care it works for me lol Its a shame folk accuse you of being a shill, these folk would be prime candidates for me to avoid in the future : )

A lot of the forums seem to be full of cliques, or very blinkered opinions and folk that will defend anything to the hilt because they own one, or suggest how fantastic something is that they surprisingly own. Its always Me, Me , Me. You can spot them a mile away. I havent even given my opinion on the Eversolo yet sound wise, feature wise, Connections or anything. I merely answered No to the question and a few facts that took seconds to prove when someone bothered to look. I may come across as blunt but its soon sifts out the folk I will avoid engaging with. They will probably do the same with me but I dont care it works for me lol Its a shame folk accuse you of being a shill, these folk would be prime candidates for me to avoid in the future : )
Stick around, there are plenty of good people on this forum, many with much experience of both the technical side and many with with much, considered, subjective experience and, dare I say it, plenty who are interested in both approaches and taking a balanced view. As for being called a shill? I couldn’t care less, it was just an example of how a, thankfully small, number choose to put over the views.

advertisement

Back