advertisement

Eversolo DMP A8 - Is this the end for all other streamers?

Aspro

pfm Member

There is the usual OTT glowing review:-

Seem to be quite a few on the Naim forum with Eversolo stuff - and reporting good things

The reviews may be good, but is it truly "better" than other streamers? Perhaps, someone could argue, in the streaming DAC/PRE category. For me, and for almost £2000, absolutely not. I would say that the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 remains king for this price bracket.

Consider this - even the £90 Wiim Mini has bit-perfect digital output to an external DAC. So if you use an external DAC, then £90 is all that you need to spend on a streamer!

With separates, you could achieve the same specification for about £300, including the same (or at least similar) AKM chip(s)!

The reviews may be good, but is it truly "better" than other streamers? Perhaps, someone could argue, in the streaming DAC/PRE category. For me, and for almost £2000, absolutely not. I would say that the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 remains king for this price bracket.

Consider this - even the £90 Wiim Mini has bit-perfect digital output to an external DAC. So if you use an external DAC, then £90 is all that you need to spend on a streamer!

With separates, you could achieve the same specification for about £300, including the same (or at least similar) AKM chip(s)!
If you're using USB, then you'll get perfect data transfer from whatever device that you're using to stream. However, if you're using some type of S/PDIF (coax, optical or AES/EBU), then there is a chance for issues like jitter, along with the vagaries of transmission and reception problems.

That's why I always use USB if I have a choice. You can't improve upon perfect data transmission. ;)

I'd be very interested to know how good it is as an analogue preamp because it would appear perfect for my TV room/vinyl system...

I doubt Linn, Naim, Bluesound, Wiim, Auralic, Cambridge Audio etc are too worried about it. There’s a market for all of them.
Likely true but they seem to be emulating Auralic’s strategy. The A6 is the good value entry product to get brand recognition as with the Aries Mini after which they go upmarket.

I’ve come to the conclusion that a raspberry pi (with a digihat) into your dac of choice is all anybody needs. The performance (for less than £150) is one of modern hifi’s great benefits. Then, if you feel you are missing out, you can add a fancy case!

I have a few Pi’s running Ropieee around the house. Good stuff.

However I also have a Wiim mini and I think if I have to end more endpoints, I’ll just grab another Wiim.

I’ve come to the conclusion that a raspberry pi (with a digihat) into your dac of choice is all anybody needs. The performance (for less than £150) is one of modern hifi’s great benefits. Then, if you feel you are missing out, you can add a fancy case!
You're both right and wrong...

You're right, given that a Pi is a inexpensive piece of lego, to be used as you see fit. I don't even bother with a hat myself, preferring to send USB directly to the DAC. I install piCorePlayer so that it emulates a Squeezebox consuming data from my LMS server.

My friend was impressed, so I built a similar unit for him. I enabled the LMS server option, so the Pi was both server and streamer.

Which brings me to how you're wrong: My friend wasn't keen on the geeky nature of it, having to grok all of its idiosyncrasies. And it didn't have a screen, which would make it even more quirky. He just wanted something to work easily and work well.

He bought an Eversolo DMP-A6, which does everything that the Pi does, has better streaming support, integrates with his Google home stuff, has a screen, etc. Consumers are willing to pay for that plug-and-playability.

You're both right and wrong...

You're right, given that a Pi is a inexpensive piece of lego, to be used as you see fit. I don't even bother with a hat myself, preferring to send USB directly to the DAC. I install piCorePlayer so that it emulates a Squeezebox consuming data from my LMS server.

My friend was impressed, so I built a similar unit for him. I enabled the LMS server option, so the Pi was both server and streamer.

Which brings me to how you're wrong: My friend wasn't keen on the geeky nature of it, having to grok all of its idiosyncrasies. And it didn't have a screen, which would make it even more quirky. He just wanted something to work easily and work well.

He bought an Eversolo DMP-A6, which does everything that the Pi does, has better streaming support, integrates with his Google home stuff, has a screen, etc. Consumers are willing to pay for that plug-and-playability.
Yep, that’s a point well made. However, an additional £1600 for streaming support, integration and screen puts things into perspective.

I’m sitting here listening to Radiohead through a pair of B&O headphones. They’re being fed by a dragonfly red from my iPhone. Sounds amazing. Involving and dynamic, all you could want really.

I’m sitting here listening to Radiohead through a pair of B&O headphones. They’re being fed by a dragonfly red from my iPhone. Sounds amazing. Involving and dynamic, all you could want really.
If you're satisfied with headphones. ;)

Personally, I prefer to swim in my music. :D

advertisement

Back