advertisement

European Parliament elections

As a matter of due diligence, has anybody checked who is funding Remain Voter?

It would be embarrassing, to say the least, if it turned out to be the Russians, or Arron Banks.

On the latter, as a point of interest, do we think perhaps his parents couldn’t spell ‘Aaron’?

No I haven't. I am highly suspicious of the Gina Miller website though, which completely ignores the Greens and lauds the Lib Dems.

Remain Voter recommend:

East Midlands - Vote Green

Eastern England - Vote Green

London - Vote Change UK

North East - Vote Liberal Democrat

North West - Vote Green

Northern Ireland - Vote your preference: Alliance; SDLP; Green; Sinn Fein

Scotland - Vote Liberal Democrats to win 2 Remain seats

South East - Vote Change UK

South West - Vote Green

Wales - Vote Liberal Democrats

West Midlands - Vote Green

Yorkshire and the Humber - Vote Green

There's an explanation for each recommendation, but that's the lot.

Jack

No I haven't. I am highly suspicious of the Gina Miller website though, which completely ignores the Greens and lauds the Lib Dems.

Remain Voter recommend:

East Midlands - Vote Green

Eastern England - Vote Green

London - Vote Change UK

North East - Vote Liberal Democrat

North West - Vote Green

Northern Ireland - Vote your preference: Alliance; SDLP; Green; Sinn Fein

Scotland - Vote Liberal Democrats to win 2 Remain seats

South East - Vote Change UK

South West - Vote Green

Wales - Vote Liberal Democrats

West Midlands - Vote Green

Yorkshire and the Humber - Vote Green

There's an explanation for each recommendation, but that's the lot.

Jack

Jack, how about we worry about the idealogical purity later and just make sure we vote for Remain parties on this, as opposed to the Brexit parties?

No. Whatever Deal vs Leaving without a deal. Remain vs Leave has been done.

Why what?

Nothing is in it for me. Why does there have to be?

Not that I want to leave on WTO terms, but what is this evidence you mention that makes it so astonishing to you some people would be comfortable leaving on WTO terms?
You really think about this stuff, don't you?

Vote Labour. Only party who can stop Brexit.

Its the utter lack-of-clarity /uncertainty about how 'the Party' will move, that is putting everyone off.
At this point - there's more than a whiff of 'spineless opportunists' caught between nailing the Tories to the wall for 'brexit, not on our watch' and ...oh, several other apparent in-fighting themes.

As one who'd naturally vote in Opposition currently - it is (to quote M Renton, many years ago) a totally shite state of affairs.

With zero tariffs what incentive would there be for other countries to negotiate a trade deal? A rhetorical question, the answer is none.
Up to a point, but there are such things as non-tariff barriers to trade. In many ways tariffs are - relatively speaking -the easy bit.

For the avoidance I'm a remainer and not in any way advocating a no deal brexit on WTO terms, or zero tariffs.

They don't seem interested in stopping Brexit, only in implementing their version of it. So voting for them doesn't work for me.

Indeed. In one way Labour provides a haven for the Brexit "don't know" voter, as we just don't really know what their honest position on Brexit really is. Indeed, in a genuinely non-hierarchical manner, even if you were a member of Labour's National Executive I don't think you'd really know what Labour's position on Brexit was.

Indeed. In one way Labour provides a haven for the Brexit "don't know" voter, as we just don't really know what their honest position on Brexit really is. Indeed, in a genuinely non-hierarchical manner, even if you were a member of Labour's National Executive I don't think you'd really know what Labour's position on Brexit was.

It's like the political equivalent of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle: the position and the velocity of Corbyn cannot both be measured exactly, at the same time.

It's like the political equivalent of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle: the position and the velocity of Corbyn cannot both be measured exactly, at the same time.
I reckon Corbyn will prove to be the most disasterous labour leader of all time. At least Michael Foot, who I didn't support either, had something between his ears.

I reckon Corbyn will prove to be the most disasterous labour leader of all time. At least Michael Foot, who I didn't support either, had something between his ears.

He’s probably going to lose yet another election against the weakest government in my lifetime, but if he does the usual suspects will be telling us there were extenuating circumstances.

Very poorly, if I may add.

The UK government has ignored the code on referendums

What most politicians have failed to point out is that since 2006 the UK has been one of 60 signatories to the 'Code of Good Practice on Referendums' (part of the Venice Commission).

This advocates a referendum as a two-part process, starting with an advisory vote and proceeding to a detailed proposal, with a second vote by either parliament or the people. This, you will note, is more or less where we are.

They also advise that a vote below 55% in favour should be ignored.

source
What you've quoted there is an anonymous letter posted unqualified online. Perhaps you could go to the source and confirm the assertion as fact before spreading it approvingly? Otherwise it is just another piece of fake news.

https://www.venice.coe.int/webforms/documents/default.aspx?pdffile=CDL-AD(2007)008rev-cor-e

Fill your boots. Don't be a low information commentator.

I would very much like to know that.

Correction: I made a classic gammon identification error, it was actually Andrew Bridgen!

It's the same guy with and without glasses!

How can anyone not notice?

I see C4 did not point out that voting for another party is not the same as being in another party (as Widdicombe is)

Still, they rarely as the important questions—such as how come you can register as a party with no members and opaque funding a few weeks before a national election?

Stephen

What you've quoted there is an anonymous letter posted unqualified online. Perhaps you could go to the source and confirm the assertion as fact before spreading it approvingly? Otherwise it is just another piece of fake news.

https://www.venice.coe.int/webforms/documents/default.aspx?pdffile=CDL-AD(2007)008rev-cor-e

Fill your boots. Don't be a low information commentator.

Full! Keywords: opinion, informed, effects, funding, annulled, binding, stage, consultative.

3.1. Freedom of voters to form an opinion
c. The question put to the vote must be clear; it must not be misleading; it must not suggest an answer; electors must be informed of the effects of the referendum; voters must be able to answer the questions asked solely by yes, no or a blank vote.

24. National rules on both public and private funding of political parties and election campaigns must be applicable to referendum campaigns (point II.3.4.a). As in the case of elections, funding must be transparent, particularly when it comes to campaign accounts. In the event of a failure to abide by the statutory requirements, for instance if the cap on spending is exceeded by a significant margin, the vote may be annulled19. It should be pointed out that the principle of equality of opportunity applies to public funding; equality should be ensured between a proposal’s supporters and opponents (point I.2.2.d).

29. A “yes” vote on a specifically-worded draft – at least in the case of a legally binding referendum – means a statute is enacted and the procedure comes to an end, subject to procedural aspects such as publication and promulgation. On the other hand, a “yes” vote on a question of principle or a generally-worded proposal is simply a stage, which will be followed by the drafting and subsequent enactment of a statute. Combining a specifically-worded draft with a generally-worded proposal or a question of principle would create confusion, preventing electors from being informed of the import of their votes and thereby prejudicing their free suffrage.

53. If electors are to cast an informed vote, it is essential for them to be informed of the effects of their votes; it must therefore be clearly specified in the Constitution or by law whether referendums are legally binding or consultative (point III.8.a, cf. point I.3.1.c on free suffrage).

54. Where a legally binding referendum concerns a question of principle or a generally-worded proposal, it is up to Parliament to implement the people’s decision. Parliament may be obstructive, particularly where its direct interests are affected (reducing the number of members of Parliament or the allowances paid to them, for example). It is preferable, therefore, for referendums on questions of principle or generally-worded proposals to be consultative. If they are legally binding, the subsequent procedure should be laid down in specific constitutional or legislative rules. It should be possible to appeal before the courts in the event that Parliament fails to act (point III.8.b).

Unfortunately there's no reference on how to define majority.

advertisement

Back