advertisement

Emerson, Lake & Palmer

I'm reminded of my old English teacher's comment about prog - "Too many notes, not enough music"

Back in the mid 70's I was very keen on ELP along with the other prog rock giants around at that time.
Strangely I almost never listen to them now but in contrast quite often play Tull/Genesis/Pink Floyd/Yes/Caravan/Camel/BJH etc from that same era.
Maybe I should.

My brother-in-law gave me a box of his records. He is about 5 yrs. older than I am.

Lurking amongst the Bob Dylan, I found Brain Salad Surgery (yet more life irony :()

I cleaned it up and I am playing it now. Never heard an ELP L.P.

It has the poster and original U.S. inner sleeve, record from the U.S. despite being the U.K. first issue.>
Emerson, Lake & Palmer ‎– Brain Salad Surgery
Label:
Manticore ‎– MC 66669, Manticore ‎– K53501
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album, Gatefold
UK
Released:
Dec 1973
Genre:
Rock
Style:
Psychedelic Rock, Avantgarde, Prog Rock, Classic Rock

it is a bit noodley, and I sense Capes or Robes. Then it goes mental for a bit, great! Then it goes back to Sixth Form Common Room, awful boy smells and absolutely no girls in the room.

I will stick with it, and will have at least one more full listen, but methinks this is not going to be living in my collection.

Probably their most famous album, but IMHO not their best. In my mind, they'd achieved that the year before with 'Trilogy'.

I also think that the SQ is pizz-poor compared with all that went before it.

The flexidisc was a giveaway with the NME - who'd have thought?

Couldn't remember which of the papers it was. I remember rushing down to the local news agent on the day of issue, to make sure of my copy.

Still have it :)

This thread made me dust off all my old ELP albums last week. I have listened to all of them up to Ladies and Gentlemen and thoroughly enjoyed them all..who would have thought it? I was lucky enough to live Chiddingly in my younger days when Keith Emerson would occasionally pop into the local pub and tinkle the ivories for a few hours. Oh and i also played (briefly) in a band with his son Aaron..happy days. I still have the ELP insignia scrawled over my old school books..

Couldn't remember which of the papers it was. I remember rushing down to the local news agent on the day of issue, to make sure of my copy.

Still have it :)

My original copy was ‘lost’ at some point but I was lucky enough to find a copy in a second hand copy of BSS I looked at in The Sound Machine in Reading.

advertisement

Back