advertisement

Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Never trust a rock band without a guitarist. They are probably trying to slip you bad jazz, showtunes or classical like so much unwanted broccoli.

Last edited:
Nice to hear from the people who were there at the time- I wasn't.

It was a time when everything seemed possible in music. Every new album brought new technology, technique and fusions of different musics.

It was so exciting.

Sure, many people went down blind alleys (I've just listened to Godley and Creme's Consequences as an example) but every new avenue was an unexplored mystery.

Now everything is possible, and it seems that nothing is really possible.

Stephen

My favourite band when i was a yoof, me and my best mate (RIP Nick) used to try and spot Keith Emerson roaming around Chiddingly. I must dust off the original vinyl i have stored..somewhere!

I like "Tank" off the first album. When the drums kick back in after the middle section is some truly deep bass...I love just that bit! I like Tarkus as well, just madness and speed. Good fun, but as has been said, not as musically deep as yer Yes, or as lyrical as Genesis or as mightily powerful as the Crims. But I love em all in their own way.

Sure, many people went down blind alleys (I've just listened to Godley and Creme's Consequences as an example) but every new avenue was an unexplored mystery.

I bought Consequences a few months ago to see if it was as bad as the critics said it was - I'd only ever heard the 'water' single that I bought on release. Sadly it was - though perhaps could have been saved by losing the spoken dialogue.

ELP fanboy here since 1972. Broke my heart when Emerson commit suicide. First five albums are excellent. The others are OK. They were total legends

I went to Uni in 1975 really hoping they would be touring somewhere nearby at some point. Never happened and so in fact I never saw them live anywhere.

I do remember the film they did with an amazing drum solo.. rather unfashionable these days.

ELP fanboy here since 1972. Broke my heart when Emerson commit suicide. First five albums are excellent. The others are OK. They were total legends

Incredibly sad. But I gather he couldn't play any more. I'd find that hard and haven't achieved a millionth of what Emerson did.

Stephen

My first gig also at Sheffield City Hall – maybe the same one

I remember they did two shows on the same night, I went to the later one and just caught the last bus , those were the days.

Also the support was Michael Chapman something I told him when I saw him play 40 years later.

He said I remember them , what a bunch of c**ts!

Remember Keith Emerson playing pipe organ Newcastle city hall,trying to think year,frightening.
Saw them 2/3 times,brilliant.

I kind of liked The Nice. A kid at school had their album The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack and the band did well with a cover of Leonard Bernstein's America. I was hence interested to see what ELP would be like ...

I saw them perform at The Isle of Wight Festival in 1970, before their eponymous album came out. This was their second ever gig and to mark it they fired two cannons that Emerson had tested in a field near Heathrow airport.

Emerson, Lake and Palmer were great instrumentally, but their own music other than Lucky Man didn't really capture me. Pictures at an Exhibition was cool, but it was composed by Modest Mussorgsky.

I've never owned an ELP album. Each time I reckon it might be a good idea, I listen to an album of their's on Qobuz or Spotify and think "Mmm" ...

Greg Lake had a great voice and it was a shame he died from cancer. It was shocking when Keith Emerson committed suicide by shooting himself in the head, but it fitted. He did like to do things with a flourish.

Jack

Last edited:
I have a few vinyl records from ELP and I like very much this band.If you like progressive rock you must hear this band.Anyone else who like this band?

Yup, saw them in Manchester in '73 (ish). Good band, got most of their albums.

Now go and listen to The Nice.

There's also a number of Youtube videos of a "blind-from-birth" girl from the States (California?), who can play Emerson's stuff virtually note perfect. Apparently Keith knew her.

Edit: her name is Rachel Flowers

I bought Consequences a few months ago to see if it was as bad as the critics said it was - I'd only ever heard the 'water' single that I bought on release. Sadly it was - though perhaps could have been saved by losing the spoken dialogue.
I dunno, I think 1 1/2 sides of Peter Cook is the one thing it does have going for it.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back