advertisement

Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Yes I believe it was,magical evening,loved going to Newcastle city hall.
Just leaving school,two part time jobs to fund concert tickets.

Yes. So this coming week will be the fiftieth anniversary of the 1970 Isle Of Wight festival. Probably the greatest rock festival held on UK soil.

When BSS came out, Alan Freeman played the whole of Karn Evil 9, 1st impression, on his Saturday Rock Show. That's what started me off down the ELP path. I recall around the same time, coming across a copy of Pictures that a school classmate had left lying on a desk while waiting for the teacher to arrive. I was drawn by the cover, went to pick it up, but was stopped by the owner's angry shout from across the room...

Fifty years ago this very evening, ELP made their debut at the Plymouth Guildhall.

Which means next April it will be fifty years since a wide-eyed, fresh-faced 14-year-old Marchbanks attended his first rock gig. Now he's a world-weary, cynical old goat.

50261065067_931feac69d_m.jpg

Funny that....I just bought Works 1 and 2 and Love Beach, only because the cd spines make the word ELP on the shelf

Which means next April it will be fifty years since a wide-eyed, fresh-faced 14-year-old Marchbanks attended his first rock gig. Now he's a world-weary, cynical old goat.

50261065067_931feac69d_m.jpg

By a strange coincidence, that was the same day as my sixteenth birthday, about which I can remember precisely nothing.

By a strange coincidence, that was the same day as my sixteenth birthday, about which I can remember precisely nothing.
Apart from the shock of finding myself sitting in the seat immediately behind my English teacher and then watching a bloke playing a telephone exchange, the same goes for me.

I used to love them too and had pretty much all standard albums up to Works Vol 1. I saw them twice during the Works Vol 1 tour but unfortunately after they had to drop the orchestra they were touring with because it was too costly.

I've pretty much tired of that type of music, it just doesn't move me the say it did before. I recognize the artistry of it but just don't enjoy it much. I've got three of their songs in my rotation, Still...You Turn Me On, From the Beginning and Hoedown (taken from Rodeo). I'm pretty sure Hoedown used to be used in the first version of the Laserium shows.

It was a time when everything seemed possible in music. Every new album brought new technology, technique and fusions of different musics.

It was so exciting.

Sure, many people went down blind alleys (I've just listened to Godley and Creme's Consequences as an example) but every new avenue was an unexplored mystery.

Now everything is possible, and it seems that nothing is really possible.

Stephen

This is exactly what I have always felt about it, that time, that music....despite not being there myself. Discovering it all in the early '90s as a teen musician bored witless with what seemed to be on offer at the time (and with what was being lauded by my peers) was a revelation.

ELP were never in my "top drawer" of favourites. Back then, I used to watch a video of them live (perhaps the aforementioned Isle Of Wight performance) and just laugh at the madness of it all. Over time I grew to appreciate their talent, energy and writing in a different way. They has this oddness, where what was almost high art was shoved up incongruously against drunken-sounding rabble rousing (Benny The Bouncer). Maybe they didn't take themselves too seriously.

advertisement

Back