advertisement

Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-25 speaker cables

SME 20/a, Dartzeel NHB 18NS/ NHB 108 PRE/power, Wilson 8’s.. etc. it’s quite a good office system..

Nice system, worthy of some LS-25s imho

Well that one has now found peace.. been tweaking for a while and it’s where I want it to be. Might give some a go in the house system, which is a naim 500 series rig with a few mods. He was out of stock of LS-25s when I looked, happy with choice though and rather pleasantly surprised, honestly I don’t think I could improve on what I’ve got. Just sounds right now,(in the office) beyond that I’d be pointlessly tweaking. Probably famous last words..

There's a 2.5m set of LS-25 on its way to me on 30 days trial. I'll add my thoughts after it's been in place for a few days. It's up against the old Chord Signature which I use at the moment; Primare amplication and ESL63s.
It will surprise me if it's significantly better/different as the system sounds excellent already. When you've recently retired, scratching the HiFi itch makes you feel alive in the winter months, though.

SME 20/a, Dartzeel NHB 18NS/ NHB PRE/power, Wilson 8’s.. etc. It’s quite a good office system..

December 9, 2017: Well I’ve got everything from a naim 72 modded with Avondale cards to a 552/500 and a mash up of dartzeel and teddydac in the office.

This ‘office’ is a PFM legend, don’t ya know...

I've just received the LS-25s. They've only been in for a couple of hours, so it's far too early to say, yet, but if memory serves me, there's not a lot of overall difference. The EWAs "might" have a bit more snap, detail and air, but the treble seems a bit thin by comparison with the Signatures. I also need to turn the volume up a bit more. Of course, the "thinness" may just be that they're revealing less-than-perfect recordings. I'll be back in fortnight !

I've just received the LS-25s. They've only been in for a couple of hours, so it's far too early to say, yet, but if memory serves me, there's not a lot of overall difference. The EWAs "might" have a bit more snap, detail and air, but the treble seems a bit thin by comparison with the Signatures. I also need to turn the volume up a bit more. Of course, the "thinness" may just be that they're revealing less-than-perfect recordings. I'll be back in fortnight !

If you need to turn the volume up to achieve the same level as with another cable then there must be a passive component in line within the cable/termination.

If anyone needs cables for now, it's probably best to contact Colin directly. The EWA cables are going to be available again in a couple of weeks. He's just waiting on the raw cable to be manufactured at the moment (I visited Col today).

I saw some LS-25 being terminated today (what a palaver!) - FYI there are no additional components on the cable.

If you need to turn the volume up to achieve the same level as with another cable then there must be a passive component in line within the cable/termination.

Not necessarily. I've found before, that if the signal to the speakers is cleaner, perceived volume seems less, probably because there's less grunge and hash being reproduced.

The system's: Primare BD32; Primare Pre32 with media board; Primare A30.2; Quad ESL63. The LS-25 is a 2.5 metre pair that Mark had left. I'm glad to hear that a new batch of cable is on the way.

Not necessarily. I've found before, that if the signal to the speakers is cleaner, perceived volume seems less, probably because there's less grunge and hash being reproduced.

The system's: Primare BD32; Primare Pre32 with media board; Primare A30.2; Quad ESL63. The LS-25 is a 2.5 metre pair that Mark had left. I'm glad to hear that a new batch of cable is on the way.

I'm using all EWA at the moment and I have to agree with your observation. I don't know if the reason is correct, I'd say my system is much more dynamic whatever the cause. Low volume clarity and presence, and quite frightening dynamic peaks.

CK, Colin would have to confirm for you, though I do know of a new seller.

Not necessarily. I was following Eisenach's post (as I thought were you) regarding a lower perceived volume, and should be taken on that context. I'm confident he and I are observing a similar thing.

To be specific, with lower volume clarity and presence it's possible (even likely) to encourage listening at a higher volume level, thus the dynamic peaks.

To be specific, with lower volume clarity and presence it's possible (even likely) to encourage listening at a higher volume level, thus the dynamic peaks.

Are you sure you aren't hearing the effect of the opposite? If listening at a higher volume level, there is a perceived increase in clarity and presence...

Right, I really don't want to bore people with this, as this thread is quite long enough as it is ! :)
I've been listening all day and after this no more comments for a couple of weeks.

This cable is quite scary. Things sound so different; I'm not sure I like it, but when I get used to it, maybe I will. It's a bit like the audio equivalent of the big 4k TV screens I saw on display when passing through John Lewis in Cardiff in November; a bit über-real looking. Scary. So much detail. So many audio cue it's at time overwhelming, at others, just breathtaking. Anthems from Magdalen Oxford: beautiful. Sibelius 1 on an old recording from Bournemouth : moving, every nuance. Other stuff, violins sound thin, but maybe that's just the recording. A compilation of French 70s and 80s hits: I almost didn't recognise some of the tracks as the same music.
I don't know how this cable does this, but it's "something". Whether I like it is a different matter.

Last edited:
If anyone needs cables for now, it's probably best to contact Colin directly. The EWA cables are going to be available again in a couple of weeks. He's just waiting on the raw cable to be manufactured at the moment (I visited Col today).

I saw some LS-25 being terminated today (what a palaver!) - FYI there are no additional components on the cable.
If they were a 3m pair then they were possibly mine, they arrived today.

I really like how they sound, a richer, fuller sound than my old Cable Talk 3, loads more detail too.

I just want to keep turning my system up and up and up, most excellent

advertisement

Back