advertisement

Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-25 speaker cables

A few people have asked me why did we use Gold plated mains plugs.
Well in the late 1970s and just after Magnum, I saw Chris Frankland and the belated Malcom Stewart cleaning a polishing there 15A UK round pin plugs and sockets conductors, it was just coming up to Xmas so for a kind joke I Gold Plated some 15Amp Round plugs and sockets. Ant sent them to there homes. A the time a odd ball Hi-fi Mag had just started called "The Flat Response" by these two gents. It was wee bit biased towards Naim and Linn for a few of the public, but both of them had just done a lovely review a for month or so before on my Magnum designs and before my forced departure from Magnum by Mr Relf ( a accountant and a now familiar story of my life).
Chris rang me that they were amazing and made the music just so much better, but could I change the name on them, well I had them silk screened with " Goldunmains" ( a joke) Chris and Malcolm came up with the name "Inca Tech".
Inca Tech and I went on to sell thousands of plugs and socket via dealers and Harold in London (the man there moved to Somerset , Jim was his name and that were I met Quickie a good friend).
Now every Tom Dick and Cho do gold plated mains including copy cat like The Chord company.
Having done lots of test on this gold product range like temperature rise etc and other plating I found that Silver was good BUT after time oxidised and caused dust to join up and conduct inside the plugs, this then catch fire so this was quickly stopped. Unless you are able to clean them inside and out please do not use silver plated mains plugs. The worse was Rhodium a poor conductor and the plugs pins temperature climbed 10C at 3KW more than gold.
Now lots of copies of my ideas some much improved are out there BUT be warned some are not plated properly Gold onto Brass flakes of without a base metal plating i.e. Nickel these can cause problems.

Interesting stuff Colin. Should gold plated plugs be plugged in to gold plated sockets ideally? Or is sticking with standard brass sockets ok?

Interesting stuff Colin. Should gold plated plugs be plugged in to gold plated sockets ideally? Or is sticking with standard brass sockets ok?
You do get of Gold migration with gold to Copper/brass but it takes a long time, I have pins which are brass but direct gold plated that after 30yrs changed in colour as the gold migrated.
That why we did gold to gold plugs and socket I have Inca Tech plugs on Claymore that are 40 yrs old and the silk screen has gone but the gold is still bright and clean. Even the 40 yr old Claymore reviewed a few year ago in Hi-fi News still looks new. But this was Gold/Nickel plated on brass.

https://www.hifinews.com/content/inca-tech-claymore-amplifier

I'd be careful about using it in a system that is tipped strongly towards either end of the listening spectrum. What I mean by that is, I doubt whether the LS 25 acts as a panacea for the rest of a system. You will hear, in my experience, exactly what each part of your chain does.

The two systems I would love to hear people's thoughts on are with regards to the LS 25 cables are, a classic quad driving big Tannoys and some big Jap beast driving NS1000s. For me personally, they are my two what one might term as "control systems" that have been around for decades and are pretty much, "known quantities". That is, people with those setups tend to know their systems inside out and can spot a difference from the word go, be it an improvement or otherwise.

To my ears, the LS 25 simply doesn't have a sonic signature of its' own. As I have said, the downside of that could be that, in certain systems, it would expose a particular bias towards say ,the system being very forward or, a tad over ripe and lacking in detail.

I don't profess to have a vast experience of speaker cables. Since 1981 I've probably owned only half a dozen sets and tried out another half dozen. Of that half a dozen a couple were definitely counted as esoteric in terms of price and they simply didn't bring about enough of a palpable change, to my ears anyway, to justify their cost. There was always a trade off I felt wasn't really worth the fiscal leap.

In summary, really all I can say is that, it is a definite case of "suck it and see", I'm well happy and have no buyer's regret over the purchase at all. Just be prepared to hear your system as it is, rather than what the incumbent speaker cables add/subtract to it. Maybe that could be the sales pitch. "The speaker cable for those who hate speaker cables" :D

I'm hoping later in the thread your question is answered as I have Tannoy Berkeley and Klipsch Quartets

Raj, you are allways promoting your latest aquired stuff quite enthusiastic and peace with that

But this statement was a bit thin, eh !

Personally, and indeed when its a cable, I would have an extended listening period to trust any audio designers word even these may be correct

I trust you have NOT yourself done any listening to TQB Ultra vs LS-25 ?
If so I will just ignore your statement as Im sure many others will.
I have owned both tq ultra black and ls25 -and wouldn't say ls25 is better.
In my experience tq ultra black have the edge

advertisement

Back