advertisement

electric cars to be noisy !

Just when I thought our streets were going to get quieter. They then go and trade in the air pollution for noise pollution.

No.

They’ll emit some noise when in what would be otherwise silent mode, up to around 12mph. Beyond that they’ll make enough road noise to be heard, but obviously without added engine noise (real or synthesised).

No.

They’ll emit some noise when in what would be otherwise silent mode, up to around 12mph. Beyond that they’ll make enough road noise to be heard, but obviously without added engine noise (real or synthesised).
There are loads of electric postal vans round here doing a fair speed and the background noise made by the rest of the world drowns out any noise they make.

At some point I'll probably have to get an electric car. And if it has to have noise (and assuming I can choose the soundtrack)..I'll have the first 5 seconds of this please...

That should move them out of the way!

There are loads of electric postal vans round here doing a fair speed and the background noise made by the rest of the world drowns out any noise they make.

Fair point. But my main point is that simulated noise at sub 12mph is not adding to noise pollution.

Sorry Matt, I didn't realise it was a joke. I'm just a bit touchy on this subject because of my son.

I have a couple of complex genetic sight impairments and Mrs. H. drives a hybrid. I’ve been caught out a number of times and nearly been ploughed down several times. Very easy to forget that a significant proportion of the population have sensory impairments and it’s especially relevant if you’re over pensionable age.

If the recent case of a cyclist is anything to go by, will silent car drivers be responsible if a pedestrian just walks out in front of them while looking at their phone?

I don’t have a problem with that tbh. If you’re driving and you’re not prepared for the foreseeable then it’s a “die care and attention issue”. I despise people who walk with their heads attached downwards to a device (try navigating with a white canes) but lets not confuse individual behaviours with accepted minimum legal standards.

I love the story that when testing different noises, they found the worst was a 'flying saucer' warbling sound. Apparently on hearing that sound, most pedestrians looked up to the sky !

I love the story that when testing different noises, they found the worst was a 'flying saucer' warbling sound. Apparently on hearing that sound, most pedestrians looked up to the sky !

La Cucaracha on air horns would be hard to beat.

We have an ice cream van around where we live that does the Monty Python theme tune.

Always cheers me up whenever I hear it.

(apologies for being upbeat)

Actually. Owning a hybrid can be a bit dangerous. We've had a few occurrences , like coming back from a night out in that London, getting in the car to drive home after getting off the train and the whole area is full of drunken phone zombies. Getting out of the car park is bloody frustrating when you're running on battery power and nobody can hear you.

I honestly thought about rigging up a wireless doorbell under the bonnet with the bellpush inside.

People can be so unaware of their surroundings.

No, that would be the Nissan Juke. Or Fugly as I call them. I did that so regularly that my wife thought it was their actual name! :D[/QUOTE

Actually, I nearly put Nissan Juke.
Its shape really offends my eye.
I’ve heard it’s also called the Joke.
What about the Nissan ‘Squashed Fly’?

Those dicks should stop looking at mobile phones and take notice of the road.Electric cars have tyre noise.Ive nearly run over pedestrians because of this.Anyone remember the green cross code ?
They'll be asking for someone to walk in front with a red flag soon.

advertisement

Back