advertisement

electric cars to be noisy !

Actually, the sound that would probably make me buy the car even if it wasn't the best available, would be the Tardis' materialising/dematerialising noise.

Maybe it'll be like ringtones - you can choose your favourite, or download a new one, or use your choice of music. 'Bat out of Hell' would be OK, or maybe 'The Race' by Yello.

Those dicks should stop looking at mobile phones and take notice of the road.Electric cars have tyre noise.Ive nearly run over pedestrians because of this.Anyone remember the green cross code ?
They'll be asking for someone to walk in front with a red flag soon.

There is no tyre noise to talk of at low speeds, car parks etc. I have had a couple of near misses on my street - you canna hear the buggers!

We don't need the car to have a continuous sound. Most electric cars are being equipped for some form of autonomous use, so they'll have sensors for adaptive cruise control, parking sensors, etc. So they can adjust the sensitivity of these sensors so if a pedestrian or cyclist looks likely to be in the path, the car can emit a loud 'Boo!' to attract their attention.

As an electric car driver I can say this is a non issue. It is the responsibility of the driver not to run anyone over. People have got to learn that future cars will be silent. My car makes emits a noise below 19mph anyway, when moving forward, and I have never run over anyone in a car park. In fact many times I have been walking in a car park and not heard drivers moving out because my mind has been elsewhere. Tests need to be done with hundreds of cars emitting artificial noise moving at slow speed through a town centre, noise pollution could be even greater than ICE cars.

If you could get cars to send warnings to actually pay attention via Bluetooth to any Airpods in the vicinity that would solve most of the issue.

As an electric car driver I can say this is a non issue

this shows a lot of empathy for people that have a disability and those who are frail. I would rather hear the pedestrians view.

We need flashing lights, loud noises and flame throwers on the front of all electric cars. Owners of said vehicles will need to pay the new extension lead tax and the charging tax.

this shows a lot of empathy for people that have a disability and those who are frail. I would rather hear the pedestrians view.

We need flashing lights, loud noises and flame throwers on the front of all electric cars. Owners of said vehicles will need to pay the new extension lead tax and the charging tax.

You have probably never driven an electric car then or more likely you don’t drive. As an e car driver I am more aware of pedestrians than I ever was in the past. (I presume by “lot” you mean lack.

You have probably never driven an electric car then or more likely you don’t drive. As an e car driver I am more aware of pedestrians than I ever was in the past. (I presume by “lot” you mean lack.
You clearly don't have the first idea of GT's history on here if you think it 'more likely' that he doesn't drive.

And can you please explain your 'as an e car driver' reasons for being more aware of pedestrians than ever. Why does being an e car driver make you more aware of pedestrians?

You have probably never driven an electric car

Have done, in fact I am on the waiting list for one, although it might be a few years given the progress of the manufacturer. I think the highest awareness of other road users and pedestrians is developed by people on two wheels (both powered and unpowered).

or more likely you don’t drive

you just made me smile!!!!

“Why does being an e car driver make you more aware of pedestrians?”

Is it because they stare at you and point?

You clearly don't have the first idea of GT's history on here if you think it 'more likely' that he doesn't drive.

And can you please explain your 'as an e car driver' reasons for being more aware of pedestrians than ever. Why does being an e car driver make you more aware of pedestrians?

You are arguing from the standpoint that everyone is driving around as if they are taking an advanced driving test and their driving cannot be improved. This is not so. There are plenty of 20mph limits in pedestrian areas near me, 90 percent of drivers do not keep to these limits. I wish I could take photos of the idiots 3 feet behind me waving their arms about. Drivers now going through red lights, where there are pedestrian crossings, are reaching epidemic numbers.
Driving an e-car is much more relaxing and less stressful than an ICE car, especially a manual one, leaving me more energy for looking out for hazards.
Since getting an e car I get more enjoyment out of staying within the speed limits than I ever did.

Driving an e-car is much more relaxing and less stressful than an ICE car, especially a manual one, leaving me more energy for looking out for hazards.
Since getting an e car I get more enjoyment out of staying within the speed limits than I ever did.
I won't take issue with the first part of your post, which I have omitted, but it seems to me that 'pedestrians as hazards' is only the case if they are apt to step out in front of you. Which is more likely if they are not aware of your presence. Which is more likely if they don't hear you coming and are looking elsewhere.

From which it follows that pedestrians are more likely to be a hazard to road users in silent, electric, cars. Which is broadly the point of this thread.

This is not to say that increased awareness of pedestrians is not a Good Thing in and of itself, and I can see that the calm and silent interior of an electric car might be less distracting for the driver.

A couple of years ago I saw a (New Zealand Registered) bright green Tesla Roadster being driven enthusiastically.

I saw it because I'm a Professional Driver and I've remembered my training.

It was inaudible; and potentially very dangerous!

advertisement

Back