advertisement

electric cars to be noisy !

hifinutt

hifinutt
I sat in a beautiful electric car on thurs , went like a bomb[ nissan leaf] but it was so quiet . a few times i have wondered how safe they are to pedestrians becuase they are so quiet

will this new ruling put you off electric cars ?

New electric vehicles will have to feature a noise-emitting device, under an EU rule coming into force on Monday.

It follows concerns that low-emission cars and vans are too quiet, putting pedestrians at risk because they cannot be heard as they approach.

All new types of four-wheel electric vehicle must be fitted with the device, which sounds like a traditional engine.

A car's acoustic vehicle alert system (Avas) must sound when reversing or travelling below 12mph (19km/h).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48815968

It’s going to mean that electric car drivers are less likely to be going slow when they hit you.

Someone really didn’t think it through..

Good! These almost silent electric cars are very dangerous to people who are visually impaired.

Yer couldn't make it up... all the years I spent with MAG trying to fight restrictions on noisy exhausts on motorbikes...
Now these are too quiet! Which they have always obviously been... creeping death on four wheels!
"Loud pipes save lives" was one of our slogans.

Maybe a stick across the alloys (like we did on our bike spokes as kids) would work better
Speed sensitive and no battery use.

Maybe a stick across the alloys (like we did on our bike spokes as kids) would work better
Speed sensitive and no battery use.
By retarding the wheel a little you are using up a bit of the car's energy, and therefore battery. Someone would have to do the math to see if it's a more efficient conversion to acoustic energy than other approaches.

Would have to be something more robust than the playing card and a clothespin rig we had on our bikes....

Just mow them all down Darwin style, anyone not aware enough to notice an electric car coming at them deserves the consequences.

Can you a big burbling V8 noise, or an MAE screamer, or an ice-cream van medley?

Just mow them all down Darwin style, anyone not aware enough to notice an electric car coming at them deserves the consequences.

I think we have to remember that with seven plus billion humans there is no risk of the odd death will causing a crisis over the continuation of our species. Indeed it might be seen the other way round.

I am minded of the humorous mis-quote from the odd Book Of Common Prayer.

There are two types of pedestrian, "The Quick And The Dead."

ATB from George

Just when I thought our streets were going to get quieter. They then go and trade in the air pollution for noise pollution.

Why don’t push bikes have a noise emitting device? You have to watch your back round here for that silent menace. I mustn’t tempt fate!

We have some electric vans at work and if you don't hear any noise you don't look round, I have been peeped a couple of times about to cross the road with out looking as I heard nothing.

Pete

I hope we get novelty chimes like ice cream vans. People could have their own ring tone and even an audio 'Christmas jumpe ' in order to express their 'personality'

I hope we get novelty chimes like ice cream vans. People could have their own ring tone and even an audio 'Christmas jumpe ' in order to express their 'personality'

cool, I could play Stormzy at high volume

Perhaps I should take my visually impaired son outside and finish him off with a baseball bat to save anyone damaging their electric cars? He obviously deserves it.

God sake, since when did the internet get so super serious? Jesus wept. Can it get any more depressing?

advertisement

Back