advertisement

Electric cars and voltage drops and hifi

Ifs and buts and why’s.

There are brilliant engineers and designers out there who will develop ideas that we can’t even imagine today. I’m looking forward to it all. In the meantime, I’ll keep my ten year old diseasel and play the waiting game.

What happens when you come out in the morning to go to work and find the local toddlers have unplugged all the cars in the street? Or when half of the chargers have been vandalized and don't work?

The way they vandalise garage forecourts and lamposts?? You have a pretty bleak view of society.

The days of attractive hatchback-sized cars with 500 miles on a single charge are not far off. There will be a mindset shift in how people 'top up' their cars. And attitudes to personal transportation will probably need to change, but they are already, amongst younger people. Where is the sense in owning a vehicle that spends 80% of its life parked up, losing value? It's an appalling waste of resources. There will come a time when people will be able to call electric driverless taxis from their phone - a fleet of small pods will bimble about between charge points and customers, and everyone will wear silver suits and have flowers in their hair. Alright, maybe not the flowers, and maybe it's a bit fanciful, but we have had over 100yrs of personal transportation by burning hydrocarbons. It can't last. Creating little explosions inside cylinders over and over to generate torque is archaic, and long past its use-by date.

The way they vandalise garage forecourts and lamposts?? You have a pretty bleak view of society.

At least I don't imagine a society that doesn't exist. I was just wondering, how do you vandalize a lamp post, when I realized that they do. A walk through the housing schemes around me will regularly find posts with the covers missing. A few years ago a dog was killed when it peed on one! Made the paper. But if you live in a place where you never see a broken parking meter I envy you.

Where is the sense in owning a vehicle that spends 80% of its life parked up, losing value? It's an appalling waste of resources.

I didn't think people bought cars as an investment.

Type 2 is the mandated connector for AC charging for EU spec cars. So unless we decide to deviate for stupid reasons...

I was at a service station a few years ago and noticed quite a few different types of charger. Tesla had one, there were others for different brands. So do they all use the same type of charger now?

If you run the heater and it's properly cold you can be looking at over a 40% drop in range. For a long distance driver that's not much use. When range is already marginal having this unpredictability added into the equation is pretty unhelpful.
SE Asia is now a huge car market. We have to deal with heat, so air conditioning is a drain on both EV and ICE cars.
Few Asian countries allow domestic cars to tow at all.
EVs are coming because of the air pollution from ICE engines is hopeless.

There will come a time when people will be able to call electric driverless taxis from their phone - a fleet of small pods will bimble about between charge points and customers, and everyone will wear silver suits and have flowers in their hair. .
Johnnycab is coming.

I was at a service station a few years ago and noticed quite a few different types of charger. Tesla had one, there were others for different brands. So do they all use the same type of charger now?
DC charging is being standardised around the CCS connector, previously people like Nissan had a different type.

Tesla is different, that is separated by software availability (you need a Tesla account to access) rather than physical connection. However, there is a rule on the way that all new public chargers need contctless payment options.

I would probably consider a plug in hybrid next time round.
I agree but I’m 62, have a Range Rover and want to run it into the ground. I really don’t want to buy another car, ever. You can sense the rules closing in around you.

Not wishing to diss the Range Rover, but I can't see it lasting another 20 or 30 years. Surely better to buy the last proper one they build in 2029. Personally I'm thinking about buying the last Landcruiser.

I reckon caravans will need to carry a battery to supplement the towing vehicle, would be interested to know what the caravanners think.

Me too, probably wil be driving 60km/h to save energy and create chaoss on roads. Not saw too many charging stations, there could be trouble to get to charge car without unhooking caravan.

So a Tesla can only charge at a Tesla charging point? And a Nissan can only charge at a Nissan one?

No, most new cars, including Tesla, can charge anywhere there is is CCS. Nissan use a Chademo connector. Most rapid chargers have been installed with CCS and Chademo but later ones are being installed with CCS only. Chademo will probably die out eventually. The exception being that only Tesla can charge on a Tesla Supercharger, this may change and Tesla may allow other manufacturers to use them.

Earlier on reading a solid 230v. Now the car is charging reading between 219 and 223V. Even if the absolute value isn't completely accurate that's still roughly a 10V drop.

I am surprised your neighbour is not charging his car during the night and taking advantage of the cheaper economy 7 rate? Most domestic car chargers are 7Kw types and require a separate isolated feed direct from the other side of the meter. This feed to the charge point is required before the charge installation company will fit the charger. This will need to be done by your electricity supplier as it needs to be connected to the meter side of the supply. You normally have to show a picture of this to the charge point company before they will come out to install the charger.

advertisement

Back