advertisement

EGGS!!!

If you can find a hobby hen-keeper you should find good eggs from happy hens. I'm fairly sure the raft of regs. around flu don't apply to anyone with fewer than 50 birds.

The current housing order applies to ALL birds throughout England and Wales, as did the previous ones. Scottish and Irish producers are now querying why they are not subject to the same.

I once worked on a free range egg farm. I think the breed was Hi-Line. Egg size was related to the age of the hen: the older the bird, the bigger the egg. The death rate accelerated at the hens aged & a flock would be culled after 18 months.

Don’t be fooled by the term “free range”. Where I worked the birds were concentrated tightly in a large shed with a small paddock beside. The death rate was much higher than for caged birds. They had favourite nesting boxes in which many were smothered. Weak hens were killed & cannibalised by others. Disease outbreaks, while rare, were treated with flock culls.
I take what you say seriously. In my part of London there have been no shortages of any sort of eggs at the places I buy from. Indeed, my favourite Lidl organic eggs have not been absent. Clarence Court eggs are in abundance. I have had them a number of times. They are not organic certified. Nor do I accept that their deep orange yolk colour is solely a result of free range grazing. Frankly, I regard them as hyped up good eggs, but without exceptional merit. Seems to me that they are mass produced and mass marketed. I prefer farmer's market eggs- usually from small concerns.

Can I be allowed to take his the way of cable threads and insist that all hens eggs - caged, factory, barn, free range or from your mate’s garden - taste exactly the bloody same.

Can I be allowed to take his the way of cable threads and insist that all hens eggs - caged, factory, barn, free range or from your mate’s garden - taste exactly the bloody same.

Yes..
Provided that the taster has no or defective taste.

It's not true. But it may be nearly true for supermarket eggs. Recently I tried some Burford Browns and some Dutchy Originals organics, and though they were subtly different from things like Tesco bog standard free range, and the Dutchy originals subtly nicer, the differences were subtle and the possibly not worth the candle to me.

I have just bought some of those eggs with the blue shell and will report after boiled eggs and soldiers for breckers tomorrow.

I occasionally buy eggs from Neal Yards Dairy in Covent Garden and they really do taste different -- but I'm not sure I really like the taste and anyway, they don't always have them and it's not really convenient.

I’ve had all forms of supermarket eggs and eggs from our own and other local peoples chickens and they taste the same to me.

I suspect we are both right and this experiment, and plenty of others, seem to bear this out….

https://www.seriouseats.com/what-are-the-best-eggs

We are, of course, all entitled to our own opinion. :)
I suspect the results, since...
1. Eggs were scrambled-with butter and salt. They should be boiled. B & S affects and homogenises flavour, obscuring differences between samples.The boiling time should not be the same for different eggs. If it is, it does not take into account size, breed and age of egg.
2. It seems that psychological factors were hard at work. These cannot be eliminated- but with tasters straining at the leash- they hardly replicate home conditions.
Those who are happy to accept the result will keep using any old eggs. Not I. I will choose organic -certified, free range and small -holding - produced, (ideally).

The most amazing eggs I ever ate were when we stayed with friends who lived on the island of Kerrera in the bay opposite Oban. They had hens that really were free range - no fences. The hens used to forage the beach and ate seaweed, which produced bright orange yolks. They tasted really good too.

I suspect the results, since...
1. Eggs were scrambled-with butter and salt. They should be boiled. B & S affects and homogenises flavour, obscuring differences between samples.The boiling time should not be the same for different eggs. If it is, it does not take into account size, breed and age of egg.
2. It seems that psychological factors were hard at work. These cannot be eliminated- but with tasters straining at the leash- they hardly replicate home conditions.
Those who are happy to accept the result will keep using any old eggs. Not I. I will choose organic -certified, free range and small -holding - produced, (ideally).
I'd hate to be with you on a HiFi listening test :)

The most amazing eggs I ever ate were when we stayed with friends who lived on the island of Kerrera in the bay opposite Oban. They had hens that really were free range - no fences. The hens used to forage the beach and ate seaweed, which produced bright orange yolks. They tasted really good too.
I eat lot of seaweed...
have been eating it for more than 50 years. No sign of me producing orange anything yet.

Live in hope.

Last edited:

Most amazing eggs we had was on some Greek isle. They were bought from the local ‘supermarket’ They were small and tasted of thyme, which was the prominent smell anytime you stopped the hire car to marvel at the view on the island. On a more mundane note one of our local suppliers is selling again. Last time I went his huge lack of strawberry road sign coincided with no eggs on the stall. I’m thinking he may have taken the sign down because of winter winds and I added two and two and got five. We shall see. Small but tasty and a quid for six and a nice road in the middle of nowhere for the TT I should mention….

STONEGATE ESTATE SOIL ASSOCIATION
CERTIFIED ORGANIC FREE RANGE EGGS

I saw these on Sainsbury's website. Reviewed by customers. They were given dreadful ratings along the lines...''watery whites, pale yolks, no flavour'' etc. etc.

The reviews were why I bought a box of them. I have found that it is always worth purchasing goods from Sains that have bad customer reviews. Customer reviews usually fall into one of two categories:
1. 'Over the moon'. Customer is in love with the product and it is, simply wonderful.
2. 'Worst thing since sliced bread'. Customer gets a fit of apoplexy at the mere mention of this rubbish.

My review: ''solid whites, deep yellow yolks, sometimes some egg yolks have orange tint...good flavour. Box made with 51% grass.

Stonegate was established in 1920. By now, they presumably know something about how to get eggs out of hens that are not neurotic, have not been tortured, and that they can sell to satisfied customers. In my opinion, the ones I tried were not as good as LIDL mixed size organic eggs. Not many store- bought eggs are, as far as my experience and appraisal goes. I should go to Greece with MUTTY1.

apparently a shortage of eggs is disrupting the 'spoons breakfast

Screenshot-20221115-075918-Chrome.jpg

https://www.devonlive.com/whats-on/food-drink/wetherspoon-announces-major-breakfast-menu-7815748

The shortage of eggs is down to the current cost of feed grain, it's not going to improve with avian flu too.

Ah, but hold them up to your shell-likes and do they sound the same? Of course they clucking well do ! :D

The shortage of eggs is down to the current cost of feed grain, it's not going to improve with avian flu too.
It’s only under a Labour government that one can acquire sufficient supply to egg the monarch and other members of the house of Windsor.
Let them throw sausages.

…..Whilst if you’re fortunate enough to own a pair of red trousers, you can import and release as many game bird chicks as you please.

WRONG - it was made too difficult years ago associated with Brexit. The imports became eggs, but those imports were stopped months ago.

Some people do post so much ill-informed, totally incorrect and utter rubbish.............................

I do not shoot, I have never shot. Are the lives of pheasants, partridge and duck reared for release "better" than those of most laying chickens, INCLUDING free-range? Near certainly so, IMO.

advertisement

Back