advertisement

EGGS!!!

Current shortages are down to the loss of several large commercial flocks to AI, plus, supermarkets are paying something like 30p less than the cost of production for a dozen eggs, because of the soaring price of feed - producers are just not re-stocking (which takes place every 18-24 months, once the commercial life of layers come to an end).

ah that explains why there's no guineafowl to be had.

Pass....

Apart from guineafowl available via game dealers - source unknown, the only others have always been labelled Gresham, in the supermarkets, again, source unknown. I did know a farmer/small-holder who reared them as a "cash crop", but they are right royal PITA to pluck - having reared them and tried, I can only agree whole-heartedly.

Even if the international trade in gamebirds destined for release/shooting has been effectively stopped, it absolutley has not been stopped for commercial layers and broilers - WAY too much ££££ involved. Look the numbers up online - the UK exports VAST, verging on unbelievable, numbers of day-old layers, but more especially broilers. The figure of one billion broilers reared in the UK each year seems to ring a bell, which obviously does not include exports.

WRONG - it was made too difficult years ago associated with Brexit. The imports became eggs, but those imports were stopped months ago.

Some people do post so much ill-informed, totally incorrect and utter rubbish.............................

I do not shoot, I have never shot. Are the lives of pheasants, partridge and duck reared for release "better" than those of most laying chickens, INCLUDING free-range? Near certainly so, IMO.

Not quite true. And I said they could, not that they did.

Whilst Brexit made it more complicated to import game bird chicks and eggs, the main thing stopping the importation of game bird chicks and eggs this year are temporary French export restrictions imposed to prevent the spread of Avian Flu. There are plenty of game dealers happy to take orders for next year and they will be free to use French supplies if the French Govt lifts the export ban.

I know several Free Range Egg producers who were happy to go along with the UK restrictions re bird flu and bring their birds indoors, but were incandescent that no corollary UK gov restrictions were placed on either the importation of game eggs and chicks or the release of (native reared and non-native reared) game bird chicks into the wild.

Fortunately, the French kiboshed the former, whilst shoots across the land were permitted to release millions of natively reared chicks into the wild in the middle of an avian flu pandemic.

And, if you're going to randomly bring animal welfare into it, which reeks of something cut from the playbook of the BASC, whilst game birds might be better off than most chickens, the native fauna killed to ensure the profitability of shoots most definitely are not.

@foxwelljsly - I have friends who shoot and even farm game.

I KNOW what I am talking about - you are just quoting received conjecture and assumption as you patently actually know nothing.

Also, completely and utterly irrelevant as the commercial import/export of domestic poultry carries-on, at many thousands of times the volume.

@foxwelljsly - I have friends who shoot and even farm game.

I KNOW what I am talking about - you are just quoting received conjecture and assumption as you patently actually know nothing.

Also, completely and utterly irrelevant as the commercial import/export of domestic poultry carries-on, at many thousands of times the volume.

I am more than happy to be swayed by facts if you would care to offer any. Your friends sound lovely.

The stocking rates for free range is very similar to the rate for the current colony cages. With free range, the birds have a shed and a paddock, but most prefer the dry warm shed for most of the time - they are free to come and go as they please.
In recent years, individual producers of free range eggs have teneded to avoid the breeds used for cages and use stock selected for the housing/flock size.

Speaking to a farmer friend last week, his neighbour was one of the largest producers of enriched-cage-produced eggs in the UK - he was wiped-out by bird flu a couple of weeks back - I beleive he had 140,000 layers - there was a wood-chipper running for a week, filling skips with minced whole chicken.
He beleives that at least two other big outfits in E Anglia have also been wiped-out - which is why supermarkets have had very few eggs for the past month, at least around here.

must be unbelievably hard having to fill skips with dead birds . no wonder many farms are considering their future

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-63743217

2.3 million birds been culled since october

There are currently no free-range eggs in the UK - the birds were housed 2? 3? weeks back. The regulations allow them to be labelled as free-range for 3? 4? weeks after housing. They then become barn eggs.

The only difference is that the pop-holes on the sheds are closed.

If anyone is seriously curious or interested, seach BBC R4, but around 2 weeks ago they interviewed someone whose pretty much entire professional academic life has been involved with studying commercial chicken behaviour. I cannot remember the actual percentages but some small % of commercial free-range layers spend any significant time outside the shed, most make a few brief excursions outdoors and a small % never go outside.

Ok. Forget free range. Is there any way I can ensure that I buy eggs from chickens which have had a happy life? From a high street supermarket.

Is there any way I can ensure that I buy eggs from chickens which have had a happy life? From a high street supermarket.

There is one major problem in trying to answer that - anthropomorphism.

I very well remember an interview with a life-long, long-in-the-tooth, farm vet' when free range suddenly grabbed people's imagination and the flocks started to grow - probably broilers at first. That has got to be 20+ yeras ago. For the first time in his professional life, he started to see lots of diseases and parasites in chickens that he had never seen before in his entire career.

In some sections of the Severn valley, free-range has now become so intensive that it is causing major and problematic eutrophication of the river - maybe 2 years back there were moves to reduce poultry numbers and there were certainly not going to be any more permits issued for new housing for new flocks.

Chickens are actually vile creatures unless kept in small groups - just as starters they eat each other to some greater or lesser degree.

Least stressed hens - probably singletons, or 2-3-4-5 birds in large pens with lots of things to occupy them.

Nearest that will happen commercially - very probably enriched colony cages. No predators, no disease, no parasites, warm, dry, no gales, food and water ad-lib, somewhere to dust bathe, a block to keep beaks and claws in trim, perches, a secluded laying area, just small groups of hens in each cage.

99% of people want cheap food............................... and recently, a lot of those NEED cheap food.

Didn't seem to be any shortage of eggs in Sainsbury's today. I bought half a dozen large Burford Browns for £3.30.
I don't really keep track of prices so no idea if that's expensive, but 55 pence per egg sounds pricey. They taste good though.

There is one major problem in trying to answer that - anthropomorphism.

I very well remember an interview with a life-long, long-in-the-tooth, farm vet' when free range suddenly grabbed people's imagination and the flocks started to grow - probably broilers at first. That has got to be 20+ yeras ago. For the first time in his professional life, he started to see lots of diseases and parasites in chickens that he had never seen before in his entire career.

In some sections of the Severn valley, free-range has now become so intensive that it is causing major and problematic eutrophication of the river - maybe 2 years back there were moves to reduce poultry numbers and there were certainly not going to be any more permits issued for new housing for new flocks.

Chickens are actually vile creatures unless kept in small groups - just as starters they eat each other to some greater or lesser degree.

Least stressed hens - probably singletons, or 2-3-4-5 birds in large pens with lots of things to occupy them.

Nearest that will happen commercially - very probably enriched colony cages. No predators, no disease, no parasites, warm, dry, no gales, food and water ad-lib, somewhere to dust bathe, a block to keep beaks and claws in trim, perches, a secluded laying area, just small groups of hens in each cage.

99% of people want cheap food............................... and recently, a lot of those NEED cheap food.
Indeed. But consumers don’t like hearing it.

It's not feasible to eat eggs and be good, if you think that animal suffering matters.

Sinking into anthropomorphism again - DO NOT buy milk (or any dairy product).

The VAST majority of milk is produced from cattle that have their calves removed after just a very few days from birth.

So far as I am aware, the near routine practise of culling day-old pure-bred dairy breed bull calves has declined, probably largely due to sexed semen being normal these days, although Brexit may well have screwed that to some greater or lesser degree (lots of bull calves were shipped abroad for veal production as Europe in general eats an awful lot more veal than we do in the UK). On the larger scale, you then enter into the "problem" of veal, and pink v. white veal.

Sainsbury's today. I bought half a dozen large Burford Browns for £3.30.

Gosh! Are they gold-plated? My medium common or garden S'bury's half dozen cost £1.30, and that had gone up from below a £ since August.

I understand that the French never eat two eggs as one is un oeuf

I’ve stopped buying eggs now because free range are no longer available. The only eggs in shops are barn eggs. Am I wrong to think that barn eggs are all laid by chickens which have been reared in reprehensible conditions?

advertisement

Back