advertisement

Ebay lunacy - Tannoys, or am I just behind the times?

well spotted cooky

What a pity to screw up the bass cones like that.

I'd still probably get them and re-cone them, but extra hastle and cost :S
600 quid is dead cheap (in comparison to Japan, where we understand the real value of these things). I'd be tempted to either get a kosher recone done or new-old original drivers. This is a very good design, certainly one I'd take over Tannoy. Matter of personal taste, of course.

look at that woodwork! just stunning.

It's beautiful, especially the radius around the driver opening. I'd still have gone for a wider, shallower cabinet though. I think these vintage speakers look far better in a traditionally proportioned cabinet.

Tony,
Trad cab for the 604s is both immensely wide and very deep. We still have a pair of 620s in storage... (future replacements are Genelec FWIW)

Joel, since I've got you here and you're in Japan.. and we're talking vintage..

Did you ever hear the Tad 2301?

http://audio-database.com/PIONEER-EXCLUSIVE/speaker/model2301-e.html

It is obviously based on the similar JBL design.

my current Tad 4002/1601b are in a ported cab, a bit like a 2402

http://audio-database.com/PIONEER-EXCLUSIVE/speaker/model2402-e.html

I've often thought that the front loaded horn would make a nicer sounding bass.. but haven't heard the 15" tad in this setup.

Just wondered if you had?

Cheers :)

It's beautiful, especially the radius around the driver opening. I'd still have gone for a wider, shallower cabinet though. I think these vintage speakers look far better in a traditionally proportioned cabinet.

The Klipsch Cornwall has the dimension you describe.

1310573677.jpg

I read the size of the Klipsch speakers was based on minimal waste of 4 X 8 sheets of plywood.

Pair of cornwalls = 2 sheets plywood, LaScalas = 3 sheets plywood, Hersey's = 1 sheet plywood...

J
I've often thought that the front loaded horn would make a nicer sounding bass.. but haven't heard the 15" tad in this setup.

Just wondered if you had?

Cheers :)
I haven't. The 2301 appears to be vapour ware, or nearly so.
OTOH, the 2402 is pretty much the finest speaker ever made. I do have some measurements for DIY variations on the 2301 if you're interested...

I like the size of the cabs especially the width of the cabinet, although there's quite a few things I would have done differently.

I can't think for the life of me why you'd want the drive units attached to the back of the front baffle for example - apart from aesthetics.

advertisement

Back