advertisement

Ebay lunacy - Tannoys, or am I just behind the times?

Proper speakers nom, nom, nom little speakers for breakfast.

2q3qgw3.jpg

{Burp!}

Joe

Dear Aquapirahna

you may wish to email Cooky, he has some DIY DMT215's he was selling. They are very well made.

If you have room for them I doubt you could beat the speaker for the price.

Thanks Bottleneck. I am at the moment unable to buy, which is a shame because I used to live close to Frank and could have picked them up next time I am over.

Prices are going skywards, combo of rarity, far east and us lot talking them up;-)
Put in the right cabs they compete easily with modern speakers costing around those figures in IMHO but they have none of the depreciation and are first step on the horn ladder...

I am building a pair of rect. GRF's alike for Reds at the moment.
Same volume as usual and best 21mm Scandi birch ply but narrower and taller.

I spent a while with Hornresp modelling the back loaded horn to achieve same bass response.
They are a bit high forehead:) / take me to your leader but easier on room placement as are only 45cm wide. Driver height is same as other GRF's.

Here's a sneak preview.

I have done a listening test on one with one of my HPDs loaded. Sounds same as other cabs I've built. Need a stereo pair to really check them out listening wise and I will then do some HolmImpulse measurements to compare them in room.

I've had a couple of pairs of Golds / HPD's and the first pair I got the 3828's so once I've heard the Reds I'll know more about comparing.
So far a pair of Lockwood modded hard edge surround HPD's with no dust covers on tweeters and Tannoy/Lockwoods after market crossover upgrades where right up there.

Hi Tony

Absolutely.. a very different speaker, just a worthy alternative that some people may prefer - that goes for sensible money on Ebay.

There is little logic to the vintage market I feel.

For example, of the former BBC designs, why is it the Ls3/5a that has garnered all of the attention (or most of it?) It wouldn't be my first choice, unless i lived in a shoe.

As a long-term Tannoy fan, I can say (IMO) price left behind value for money in audio terms a long time ago.

Vintage appeal, collectability, rose tinted spectacles etc.

My case in point -

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=300578224639

Ugly and unfashionable, but a worthy advisary to a simple lancaster.

In general I'm inclined to agree. I bought a pair of professionally reconed HPDs as spares last year for 450 notes. A pair on ebay at the moment already have bids at 1K in Lancaster cabs - so almost certainly non original. It's all got a bit silly. The big plus of Tannoys before the prices rocketed was that they were an ideal starter for a cabinet build. You buy a Lancaster, then build something better (as many on here have) and in the mean time they are useable in the Lancaster cabs. However, nice as the KEFs may be, they aren't really a 'development proposition' in the same way.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
There is little logic to the vintage market I feel.

I don't think the vintage market has ever just been about sound quality, it also factors the history and 'legend' for want of a better world. Tannoys are a legendary speaker, they were used in Abbey Road, Decca and pretty much every other top-end studio for decades, just as the LS3/5A represents the BBC tradition in a perfectly formed, compact and easy to ship package. Things like vintage Tannoys, 301s, 124s, ESLs, Leak 20s etc are the vintage Strats, Teles and Les Pauls of the audio world. You are buying the history and investment potential as well as the character / sound.

they are a legendary speaker manufacturer for sure.

There are so many however.

For example Great Plains Audio (who are former Altec staff with the Altec machinery from the old factory) produce brand new Altec drive units and sell them.

This includes the famous 604 dual concentric (which many prefer to the Tannoy version), to brand new compression drivers, horns and alnico bass cones.

A DIY vintage vibe can be had for those that want it, with brand new drive units.

I'm mentioning all this because this thread may be read by such people here in the UK who perhaps haven't considered Great Plains Audio.. not because of the ''Ebay Lunacy'' title of this thread...

http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/

I had no idea you could still buy a 604! How much are they (just drive unit and crossover)? I can't find a price on the site.

they are a legendary speaker manufacturer for sure.

There are so many however.

For example Great Plains Audio (who are former Altec staff with the Altec machinery from the old factory) produce brand new Altec drive units and sell them.

http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/

I was looking at GPA a while ago. they look like very well put together drivers, though out of my reach financially. 6 loons did a review of them in big cabinets as I recall.

604_8H_III_Rev_02.jpg

Attention all planets of the Solar Federation we have assumed control!

140.jpg

Leak 3090 Speakers £410

Not D.C, but thought I would share these for their visual impact and complete lack of W.A.F

dsc00470.jpg

dsc00469.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I had no idea you could still buy a 604! How much are they (just drive unit and crossover)? I can't find a price on the site.

cool huh?

You can get altec 15" drivers and compression drivers from them brand new too.

Dont know about prices, they are ''call us for a quote".

Main problem we face is delivery from USA to UK and import duty.

Not D.C, but thought I would share these for their visual impact and complete lack of W.A.F
and the absolute impossibility that speakers with that configuration of drive units could give any sort of reasonable stereo image.

cool huh?

You can get altec 15" drivers and compression drivers from them brand new too.

Very cool indeed, the 604 is very high up on my 'things I must hear sometime' list, though I'd be pretty amazed if a new pair could be landed for the eBay price of Tannoy Reds, let alone Golds.

check these out

7086571614_g.jpg

I will tell any PFM'er who PMs me where I've seen them.

You could get them for about £600.

The tweeters would fetch £300 on Ebay, this is a real bargain, and would personally prefer them to a pair of Lancs.

Preference however is a matter of... individuality :)

advertisement

Back