advertisement

Ebay lunacy - Tannoys, or am I just behind the times?

Great Plains 604s seem about $700 each.

Very interesting, I shall file that on the 'Hmmm, and another option is...' shelf of my brain for future reference.

Personally, I'd make the speaker wide baffle - as wide as I could get away with.

I believe they work nicely open baffle too, which is something I rather fancy having a play with some day - a neat way of getting a massive speaker in the room with less depth!

1 No. Tannoy GRF 1950s Original Silver Speaker £7995 buy it now

140.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
check these out

7086571614_g.jpg

I will tell any PFM'er who PMs me where I've seen them.

You could get them for about £600.

The tweeters would fetch £300 on Ebay, this is a real bargain, and would personally prefer them to a pair of Lancs.

Preference however is a matter of... individuality :)

That's a non JBL aftermarket re-cone job unfortunately.

There's a man on Speakerplans with some Altec goodies;http://forum.speakerplans.com/vintage-altec-with-pictures_topic54534.html

I like both the pepperpot and the tulip(prawn and the welk?) but do firmly believe the tulip to be an improvement.

My 215 clones are no more.
I still have the empty cabs but now have 2 pairs of 3833 15" DMT drivers for sale with a simplified DMT Mk2 xovers(flat eq, no treble adjust),
these DMT drivers have had a full refurb, have 2 new tweeters and 1 new bass cone.

Active is very straightforward, no tricky eq to deal with just 2nd order [email protected]

250L is too big for the 3833's nothing over 200L makes any difference except maybe to unload the driver.

well spotted cooky

What a pity to screw up the bass cones like that.

I'd still probably get them and re-cone them, but extra hastle and cost :S

yeah, never heard crystal 2405's. I think they look the mutt's though.

Mine are boggo black ones.

I'm hoping in a few years time some TAD et703's will land on my doorstep for decent money and I'll have them... until then....

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
they are a legendary speaker manufacturer for sure.

There are so many however.

For example Great Plains Audio (who are former Altec staff with the Altec machinery from the old factory) produce brand new Altec drive units and sell them.

This includes the famous 604 dual concentric (which many prefer to the Tannoy version), to brand new compression drivers, horns and alnico bass cones.

A DIY vintage vibe can be had for those that want it, with brand new drive units.

I'm mentioning all this because this thread may be read by such people here in the UK who perhaps haven't considered Great Plains Audio.. not because of the ''Ebay Lunacy'' title of this thread...

http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/

Great Plains Audio : have a shop selling Direct on Ebay

140.jpg

140.jpg

140.jpg

The Great Plains version seems to have a far more simple horn than the Altec:

I wonder what the significance of that is.

Tony.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am surprised Great Plains don't offer several sets of cabinet designs/plans to make it easier for people to build their own and take out some of the hit and miss nature of such a project.

The price of the dual concentrics - you can buy great plains audio altec 12" or 15" woofers (pair) and a pair of great plains audio (can I just say Altec?) compression drivers for the same price - all you'd need then is the horn flares (like the ones I have in classifieds, shameless plug!).

Certainly I prefer a multi-way horn system to a dual concentric, again, IMO.

..but then, you could get modern JBL drive units for this kind of money, so it depends on the sound you want.

advertisement

Back