advertisement

Easy opening

Iā€™ve always got a Stanley knife to hand for deliveries; just run it along the gap between the tray-insert and the opening part on the front of the case. The wrap comes off easily then and there is no risk of marking the case or content if you keep in the gap. Far easier than finding the pull-tag if one even exists.
This is almost the Approved Pro Method but really you should be using your thumbnail to avoid slipping and damaging the jewel case.

Next you'll be admitting you didn't know you're supposed to open shrink wrap records by rubbing them against the seam of your jeans...

If it was a metal lid, did you try running hot water over it first to expand & loosen it? It always works for me.
No, a good idea! Also turning it upside down and giving it a sharp bang on a cutting board sometimes works. Also putting a screwdriver under the edge to break the vacuum. I think in the end my wife held the jar with both hands while I wielded the chain-spanner.

No, a good idea! Also turning it upside down and giving it a sharp bang on a cutting board sometimes works. Also putting a screwdriver under the edge to break the vacuum. I think in the end my wife held the jar with both hands while I wielded the chain-spanner.
My mother hammers a pin through the lid to break the vacume.

Pete

Whenever a tricky little bit of household maintenance crops up I will try every implement I can find in the shed, cutlery drawer and under the stairs before reluctantly shelling out for the correct tool to do the job. When it arrives it is encased in military standard tough plastic casing which nothing can prise open or cut. I sometimes wonder if you are supposed to buy another tool for getting the correct tool out of the packing (and so onā€¦).
Poultry shears........

Regards

Richard

Don't get me started on milk cartons. Those with a ring-pull inner seal once you remove the screwcap. Don't think I've ever opened one without getting milk on fingers and nearby work surfaces.
These are a terrible design. I have manufactured the foil seal type, it will surprise few to hear.
In my experience, 9 times out of 10, the little tag on the foil it seems to have been guillotined off by the (excellent!) design of the cap, and the tag is stuck to the inside of the cap.....so I use my teeth on any bit that sticks out....
The pull tag coming off is the result of overheating of the lid during the welding* process. The foil cap is actually a laminate, it goes through an IHS (induction heat seal) tunnel that uses a magnetic field to induce eddy currents and heat the foil part of the laminate. This melts the bottom layer and makes the weld. 25 years ago I devised a quality control system that I put in place across 2 dairy manufacturers, the seal quality thereafter was perfect. Sadly after my departure they stopped doing the quality checks with the result that seal quality is bloody awful. Everybody concerned turns it up to "weld the hell out of it" and it won't come off without heavy machinery.
* I'm tryint to remember whether it is a true weld or a heat labile adhesive layer that sticks the cap "foil" to the bottle, which is LDPE.

Finally seem to have found a decent corkscrew after 60 years of practice, spent years with various lever types. Usually with a solid centre cheap screw that would pull through a soft cork or take a massive amount of torque to wind into a composite.

Subsequent was a range of simple T screws which culminated in a scary trip to A & E when i pulled the top off a bottle and impaled my hand on the bottom half. The trip to hospital was nearly as bad as my SiL nearly collected another customer for A & E on the drive there.

Current is a Screwpull lever over the top thing with lifetime guarantee plus waiters mates.

advertisement

Back