advertisement

Easy opening

Cesare

pfm Member
Yesterday's attempt to open a box of oats.

l3eigi9.jpeg

Don't get me started on milk cartons. Those with a ring-pull inner seal once you remove the screwcap. Don't think I've ever opened one without getting milk on fingers and nearby work surfaces.

To be fair, opening tins of tuna or sardines has become much easier. Not to mention tins of beer and tomatoes. No more medieval weapons, jagged blades to ram into the top and twist around with great danger to life and limb. Just wanted to be fair.

I know that lots of people have trouble opening boxes, cartons and tins etc but I am not one of them. I just take ten seconds to work out how to do it and then I open it in accordance with the way it was designed to be opened. It is just plain common sense.

Before someone calls me a smug whatever, I will now formally state that not only am I the son of a toolmaker, I also served an apprenticeship as a toolmaker and therefore I know how to do these things.

I know that lots of people have trouble opening boxes, cartons and tins etc but I am not one of them. I just take ten seconds to work out how to do it and then I open it in accordance with the way it was designed to be opened. It is just plain common sense.

Before someone calls me a smug whatever, I will now formally state that not only am I the son of a toolmaker, I also served an apprenticeship as a toolmaker and therefore I know how to do these things.
With all this expert knowledge ingrained in your genes, please reveal how you tackle a CD sealed in plastic with no thingy to pull on? I once saw a guy in a record shop pass it quickly over the edge of his table and it opened instantly, but I've never been able to do it myself.

With all this expert knowledge ingrained in your genes, please reveal how you tackle a CD sealed in plastic with no thingy to pull on? I once saw a guy in a record shop pass it quickly over the edge of his table and it opened instantly, but I've never been able to do it myself.
I have never had a problem as it seems obvious. Rip open the plastic by tugging on the flap - easy peasy and then simply pull open the case.

I hope this makes you appreciate Toolmakers. My father divided working men into two groups, Toolmakers and the others.

I've recently opened a pair of Quad ESL 2905s after refurbishment. The two big boxes which went came back as one ginormous box, completely shrink-wrapped in heavy gauge plastic and weighing 173 kg. Completely blocked my garage. As the icing on the cake, they added a massive and heavy pallet, fully tied to the rest, despite the spkrs each having their own substantial pallet incorporated in the bottom box. Took me a month, but that included manhandling them from lower level garage to listening room.

Cereal packets? Pah ! I may add that I now have a vey long roll of shrink-wrapping; must think of a use !

I have never had a problem as it seems obvious. Rip open the plastic by tugging on the flap - easy peasy and then simply pull open the case.

I hope this makes you appreciate Toolmakers. My father divided working men into two groups, Toolmakers and the others.
What flap!!!!???? If there is a flap you don't need to be a toolmaker of 2 generations to open it, but if there ain't one? Besides, I doubt your father (with all due respect) was ever confronted with CD sealed in plastic with no flap.

What flap!!!!???? If there is a flap you don't need to be a toolmaker of 2 generations to open it, but if there ain't one? Besides, I doubt your father (with all due respect) was ever confronted with CD sealed in plastic with no flap.
There is a flap. I found it and you didn't and that is why I am a Toolmaker and you are one of the others.

advertisement

Back