Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

E scooters

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Rodrat, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

In Manchester Mobike abandoned its bike scheme because of vandalism and theft.

2. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

needn't say any more.

You might get mugged or stabbed in London, but theft from these projects appears to be a minor issue.

3. Bob McC

If you nick one in London where are you going to go?
    It’s just London for as far as the eye can see.
    You can be out of Manchester on one in twenty minutes.

4. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

Fair point. Maybe it just feels further away to me as it always seems to take so long to drive down the Bristol Road. Not somewhere I'd want to navigate on a scooter, though presumably they can use the bike lanes in the central reservation.

5. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

The main problem I foresee with scooters is that the small wheels make them much more vulnerable to accidents linked to the road surface- as was the case in Bobs link. They’re a danger to pedestrians if used on pavements and a danger to the operators of used on roads with anything less than perfectly smooth tarmac.

Barrymagrec likes this.
  6. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Yup....new bike lanes created in various bits of Brum. Seems obvious to create a route to the Uni.

7. ghostbusters

ghostbusters pfm Member

I have no idea how to identify a rental opposed to a private one so I am not sure how this is going to be policed either. They should have registrations plates at least as far as I am concerned as I am not sure how you are supposed to have much chance of identifying one in the case of a hit and run.
    Everyday I see at least one used on pavements, only one person seen wearing a crash helmet.
    Another case of government turning a blind eye to likely problems which would be obvious to anyone who gave this more than a minute's thought.

cutting42 and Bob McC like this.
  8. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Apparently the rentals stop dead if you try to ride them out of area.

They are also rather large a clumsy looking things, so easy to spot compared to the electric tiddlers that I mostly see on pavements. Although I came across a largish middle age bloke riding a great big one along the Rivern Severn bank the other day as we were walking our dogs. Most oddly out of place, in every way.

9. Bananahead

Bananahead pfm Member

I live in a city that has always had them. There are at least four rental companies. Nobody takes much notice and they are used on pavements and bike lanes. But then again, nobody gets frothy over bikes being used on pavements either. There might be the occasional accident with bikes v cars or bikes v tram tracks, but I have bever seen or heard about an accident involving an E-scooter.

And they are great fun although I don't use them much.

Woodface likes this.
  10. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

I see that the trial of e scooters in Coventry has been dropped after 5 days !

11. matt j

matt j pfm Member

From the best channel on YT

cutting42 and bigjonny like this.
  12. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

Same in Norwich, weirdly.

I was photo documenting the bikes left in lakes and fields before the scheme pulled out.

We have a new one now so we will see.

Stephen

13. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I still find it amusing the degree of confected outrage relating to alternative forms of travel.

I mean cars park on pavements, kill lots of people each year directly & in the long term due to pollution.

But those pesky scooters right, FFS.

Cycle hire schemes are great but unfortunately it is a small minority which ruin the concept for everyone else.

Andrew C! likes this.
  14. Thorn

Thorn pfm Member

Whataboutary at its finest.

Bob McC likes this.
  15. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

the problem is there are many elderly and disabled folks walking on pavements , they cannot jump out of the way of these things that speed along pretty fast on pavements .

TheDecameron likes this.
  16. billo

billo pfm Member

there was a strange psychology about those bikes, they were free so perceived as worthless so they were just chucked away rather than returned.
    It could have been worse though :)
    [​IMG]original

17. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Hilarious!

It is not whataboutery it is an observation that none of you ‘concerned citizens’ ever seem to complain about the motor car.

18. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

This would be the same disabled folks & elderly who are massively more at risk from motor cars; that is my point.

There is a massive problem with cars parking on pavements nationally which put the elderly & disabled at increased risk.

I am massively in favour of increased provision of segregated cycle lanes & paths but, guess what, it will never happen as it involves the dear motorist ceding space for their precious cars.

If you honestly think that e-scooters are the main problem you are being incredibly selective.

19. Bob McC

Laws to curtail illegal use of cars are applied.
    It seems those to govern cycles and escooters are not.

20. Bob McC

Car parking on pavements is devolved to local councils.
    East Cheshire are just about to make it illegal.
    Furthermore your post is risible.
    Cars are not being driven on pavements.
    Cycles and escooters are.