advertisement

E scooters

D'you mean that you can't go above 6 km/h on electric power? Doesn't make sense.

I think the current regulation has a "walk mode" that allows throttle assistance up to 6km/h but above that it has to be pedal activated assistance up to the 25km/h level where assistance has to stop.

You do still see some older e-Bikes that had throttles and those can still be legal I think, although there are also bikes with throttles that have been created more recently using conversion kits and those are probably illegal.

50 mph ! Wonder if you could do a ton if you lashed two together (after you, by the way)
Those look very stable and the tyres look as though they would go over anything. I do a lot of skateboarding for my work commute (at least before all this virus shite) so I'm hyper aware of how small things can really ruin your day. I see a lot of commuters using these with zero protection and I have to shake my head having broken things on the board over the years. You can do a LOT of damage at 10mph let alone 20+. I would err toward one of those if I ever got one.

Cars are the main problem yet no one bats an eyelid compared to some made up threat to safety that may not even happen.

Would you be rather hit by a scooter or a car?

It’s just all nonsense, we need to get cars away from city centres & here is a 12 month trial which may be very effective.

It’s just all nonsense, we need to get cars away from city centres & here is a 12 month trial which may be very effective.

How much effect do you think it'll have? In London I can see it moving some folks away from public transport, but I can't see it moving many folks away from car use.

How much effect do you think it'll have? In London I can see it moving some folks away from public transport, but I can't see it moving many folks away from car use.
I think London should be a car free zone, this needs to be enforced. There is no need to take a car into London, it is also flat & very walkable.

If I was Mayor I would ban all private cars, get rid of Uber & give the black cabs 5 years to convert to electric. If we can reduce traffic this will make roads safer for cyclists & scooters.

I am not 100% on them but I think they could provide a good alternative for short journeys. When I go to London I often have meetings around Victoria Embankment, this is about 2 miles from Kings X, perfect for scooter/bike rather than tube?

My guess is that e-scooters
Those look very stable and the tyres look as though they would go over anything. I do a lot of skateboarding for my work commute (at least before all this virus shite) so I'm hyper aware of how small things can really ruin your day. I see a lot of commuters using these with zero protection and I have to shake my head having broken things on the board over the years. You can do a LOT of damage at 10mph let alone 20+. I would err toward one of those if I ever got one.

Yes.

As a skateboarder one is aware of the many ways to hurt oneself going in what you thought was a straight line.

A curb, a pothole, even a road bump (sleeping policeman) will take out a few. Never mind pedestrians. All the fun of the fair. Helmet and decent gloves as a minimum. Gravel rash will become fashionable. I encourage all who want an e-scoot. to get one.:D

........ The 200cc electric bike I bought 15 years ago and used for 6/7 years was legal.........

Mike, what's a 200cc electric bike? 200 ccs of what? Watts?

I've seen a few e-scooters with tiny seats round my way. Proper scooters, not those mobility jobbies. Like this, disk brakes and all:

m6-electric-scooter-left-side.jpg

I think London should be a car free zone, this needs to be enforced. There is no need to take a car into London, it is also flat & very walkable.

If I was Mayor I would ban all private cars, get rid of Uber & give the black cabs 5 years to convert to electric. If we can reduce traffic this will make roads safer for cyclists & scooters.

I am not 100% on them but I think they could provide a good alternative for short journeys. When I go to London I often have meetings around Victoria Embankment, this is about 2 miles from Kings X, perfect for scooter/bike rather than tube?
I would reverse the cab statement. Pretty much all Ubers these days in the city are electric or hybrid already. I would limit any black cab that is not converted right away. I work in the city and when things are normal the air quality is almost never what is considered safe around my office.

I would reverse the cab statement. Pretty much all Ubers these days in the city are electric or hybrid already. I would limit any black cab that is not converted right away. I work in the city and when things are normal the air quality is almost never what is considered safe around my office.
My point was so much about air quality more to do with reducing traffic, black cabs have a higher entry bar so as demand for them drops so will their ubiquity.

Problem with Uber is the amount of vehicles

Mike, what's a 200cc electric bike? 200 ccs of what? Watts?

Watt ???? Must have been thinking of my 200cc Lambretta from the sixties. The Coronavirus disruption is one thing; advanced years is another; combined, they play tricks on the RAM of the brain !:)

That's a natty little vehicle; think I could cope with one of those. Presumably the b/pack is underneath, thereby assisting centre of gravity. Oddly, since this thread appeared, my newspaper has been featuring a number of articles/reports etc. Can't be a correlation here, surely !!!!!

advertisement

Back