advertisement

E scooters

true

doesn't seem to be a major problem with the bike hire schemes in London. Yes some occurances, but they appear to be minor.

YMMV
In Manchester Mobike abandoned its bike scheme because of vandalism and theft.

If you nick one in London where are you going to go?
It’s just London for as far as the eye can see.
You can be out of Manchester on one in twenty minutes.

Only 3.5 miles. So I reckon much less than 25 minutes on a scooter. Crumbs - you could walk it less than an hour if you did not dawdle.

Fair point. Maybe it just feels further away to me as it always seems to take so long to drive down the Bristol Road. Not somewhere I'd want to navigate on a scooter, though presumably they can use the bike lanes in the central reservation.

The main problem I foresee with scooters is that the small wheels make them much more vulnerable to accidents linked to the road surface- as was the case in Bobs link. They’re a danger to pedestrians if used on pavements and a danger to the operators of used on roads with anything less than perfectly smooth tarmac.

Good article here Because they are illegal you cannot get insurance for them.

Currently, you can buy one but you can't ride it on a UK public road, cycle lane or pavement. Anyone who does is committing an offence.

The only place an e-scooter can be used is on private land, with the permission of the landowner.

At the moment, they are classified as Personal Light Electric Vehicles (PLEVs), so they're treated as motor vehicles and are subject to all the same legal requirements - MOT, tax, licensing and specific construction.

So, because they don't always have visible rear red lights, number plates or signalling ability, they can't be used legally on the roads.

I have no idea how to identify a rental opposed to a private one so I am not sure how this is going to be policed either. They should have registrations plates at least as far as I am concerned as I am not sure how you are supposed to have much chance of identifying one in the case of a hit and run.
Everyday I see at least one used on pavements, only one person seen wearing a crash helmet.
Another case of government turning a blind eye to likely problems which would be obvious to anyone who gave this more than a minute's thought.

Apparently the rentals stop dead if you try to ride them out of area.

They are also rather large a clumsy looking things, so easy to spot compared to the electric tiddlers that I mostly see on pavements. Although I came across a largish middle age bloke riding a great big one along the Rivern Severn bank the other day as we were walking our dogs. Most oddly out of place, in every way.

I live in a city that has always had them. There are at least four rental companies. Nobody takes much notice and they are used on pavements and bike lanes. But then again, nobody gets frothy over bikes being used on pavements either. There might be the occasional accident with bikes v cars or bikes v tram tracks, but I have bever seen or heard about an accident involving an E-scooter.

And they are great fun although I don't use them much.

I still find it amusing the degree of confected outrage relating to alternative forms of travel.

I mean cars park on pavements, kill lots of people each year directly & in the long term due to pollution.

But those pesky scooters right, FFS.

Cycle hire schemes are great but unfortunately it is a small minority which ruin the concept for everyone else.

I still find it amusing the degree of confected outrage relating to alternative forms of travel.

I mean cars park on pavements, kill lots of people each year directly & in the long term due to pollution.

Cycle hire schemes are great but unfortunately it is a small minority which ruin the concept for everyone else.
Whataboutary at its finest.

the problem is there are many elderly and disabled folks walking on pavements , they cannot jump out of the way of these things that speed along pretty fast on pavements .

Same in Norwich, weirdly.

I was photo documenting the bikes left in lakes and fields before the scheme pulled out.

We have a new one now so we will see.

Stephen
there was a strange psychology about those bikes, they were free so perceived as worthless so they were just chucked away rather than returned.
It could have been worse though :)
original

the problem is there are many elderly and disabled folks walking on pavements , they cannot jump out of the way of these things that speed along pretty fast on pavements .
This would be the same disabled folks & elderly who are massively more at risk from motor cars; that is my point.

There is a massive problem with cars parking on pavements nationally which put the elderly & disabled at increased risk.

I am massively in favour of increased provision of segregated cycle lanes & paths but, guess what, it will never happen as it involves the dear motorist ceding space for their precious cars.

If you honestly think that e-scooters are the main problem you are being incredibly selective.

Hilarious!

It is not whataboutery it is an observation that none of you ‘concerned citizens’ ever seem to complain about the motor car.
Laws to curtail illegal use of cars are applied.
It seems those to govern cycles and escooters are not.

This would be the same disabled folks & elderly who are massively more at risk from motor cars; that is my point.

There is a massive problem with cars parking on pavements nationally which put the elderly & disabled at increased risk.

I am massively in favour of increased provision of segregated cycle lanes & paths but, guess what, it will never happen as it involves the dear motorist ceding space for their precious cars.

If you honestly think that e-scooters are the main problem you are being incredibly selective.
Car parking on pavements is devolved to local councils.
East Cheshire are just about to make it illegal.
Furthermore your post is risible.
Cars are not being driven on pavements.
Cycles and escooters are.

advertisement

Back