advertisement

Dream deck?

This one's easy.

medium

My dream deck is one which makes every LP you own sound good, does not draw attention to the faults of the medium and lets you enjoy your music with your heart and not your brain.

I don't think such a thing exists but of all the decks I've had here, and I've had a lot, probably the one that comes closest is...

The Rega P1.

I'm happy you said this, in wild contrast to the Sirius III, because this is exactly what deck I recently recommended a casual HiFi fan / friend to get, which he did & is very happy, probably all you need really...

I have a modified Stanton ST.150, that I fitted with a Rega RB202/Carbon; it would be interesting to hear how it compares to a P1.

Don’t really care for a lot of the contemporary, over engineered, excessively large, aesthetically challenged tables being manufactured now.

All things considered, these three, one for each drive system:

Lumenwhite Mystere (direct drive)

Doehmann Helix 1 Mk2 (belt)

Saskia II (idler)

At this point, any turntable (plus an actual hi-fi rack to hold it) would do. Step #2 is to ship my vinyl collection over from the US. I had a couple Technics SL-1200 MK2's in good condition but I sold them in part to fund my move over here some 13 years ago. Since then, nothing, and no real chance in the foreseeable future...

To give a better answer, I think a realistic dream deck for me right now would be a Technics SL-1200G. It's out of my price range but achievable. Sure, I could dream about something way fancier but then I would also need to dream about a better system to support it...

Don’t really care for a lot of the contemporary, over engineered, excessively large, aesthetically challenged tables being manufactured now.

All things considered, these three, one for each drive system:

Lumenwhite Mystere (direct drive)

Doehmann Helix 1 Mk2 (belt)

Saskia II (idler)

Nice choices, I like the look of all of those.

Ok, so the EMT is too expensive a dream for me. Here’s my plan B.

LFhS6Bz.jpg

I love the look of this Reed 1c with 5t tonearm. The deck can be ordered as either belt or direct drive, and the tonearm is a pivotal tangential tracker.

Unfortunately, at $36,500, it too will remain a dream. But if I hit the lottery, I am buying two (one for each drive type). Then they could then flank my EMT obvs.

I’ve had an Orbe for quite a few years now.
Deck that intrigues me the most would be an Avid Acutus. I know the oil-rig look isnt to everyone’s taste, but it looks so well engineered.
Then again, sometimes I just love the simplicity of a clean looking LP12!

advertisement

Back