advertisement

Dream deck?

I can't help wondering, if overall, it gives more satisfaction than the P10?

I would have to say...yes. Of course there is a drop in performance in many areas but the P1 has a warmth and charm of its own and critically, because it's so cheap you forgive it. You are aware of the flaws but you quickly dismiss them and go back to just listening to music.

A few days ago I heard a singing due on YouTube who were superb. I was genuinely choked up by how beautiful their singing was, and I was listening through little plastic computer speakers! Would listening through a big system have had the same effect? Or would I have been drawn away thinking about how compressed it was, how there was little bass or treble?

I think maybe there is a balance. Equipment that can genuinely reveal the heart of the music but without being revealing enough to make too much of the flaws? Something between the P1 and RP10.

I'm happy with my Trio L-07D with it's own arm and an SME V as a second arm. It has served me well for over 35 years and still performs excellently. For a second deck if I could find space I love a mint Nakimich TX1000.

I had a couple Technics SL-1200 MK2's in good condition but I sold them in part to fund my move over here some 13 years ago. Since then, nothing, and no real chance in the foreseeable future...

Surely you can afford some kind of turntable? You can pick up perfectly decent used decks for not a lot of money.

I own it. A Garrard 401 in a plinth I designed and made. With a Nott Analogue arm and a modest Demon 110 cart. If I had a vast fortune I'd keep it and play games with exotic cartridges. But the deck would stay.

What would you do to soup up The Source?
Not being very technical would give it to someone to modify , I had 2 used sources and loved the walk in soundstage and wonderful musicality (this musicality disappeared when using the spikes -worked better on the rubber feet for me ). I always thought it could have done with a tad more 'snap' at times so would look at the power supply (inspired somewhat by linn's radikal). I thought it sounded best with the pure sound copper mat but with the felt mat on top, gave better timing and the 5 springs coped well.

jwPthTo.jpg

Surely you can afford some kind of turntable? You can pick up perfectly decent used decks for not a lot of money.

It's a matter of space also. We're a bit cramped in the current place. Whenever we manage to move, I'll be looking to have a turntable setup asap.

I think maybe there is a balance. Equipment that can genuinely reveal the heart of the music but without being revealing enough to make too much of the flaws? Something between the P1 and RP10.

interesting point mr pig and I agree with you
I had my dream deck which I enjoyed very much a klimax lp12 (but with an accurate Radikal)
It sounded fantastic
Sadly Covid meant it had to go
I am currently using a rega 3 with reson mica cartridge and naim stageline N this doesn’t “sound “ anywhere near the lp12 but you know I can’t stop playing records
I realise now I was always wondering “what if”with the linn as there was always something to improve
I know the rega is as good as it gets so I’m just enjoying it and playing things I hadn’t played in ages
weird isn’t it !!

I had a Thorens TD 160 with a Morch UP4 and a Denon 103R. It sounded really great. I could easily have lived happily ever after with that deck. I have that sound back now wirh a PTP6 Lenco 75. The only thing I may want still is a 12" (unipivot) arm.

I know the rega is as good as it gets so I’m just enjoying it and playing things I hadn’t played in ages. Weird isn’t it !!

No, not really. I think the Planar3 is maybe that perfect balance deck. I had one thirty years ago and likewise, loved every record played on it. Loved it so much I've owned another two and one lives in the shed system now. In fact I have a lovely vintage Planar2 here just now and it too just plays music.

Sometimes things don't need to be any better than they are.

I had a Thorens TD 160 with a Morch UP4 and a Denon 103R. It sounded really great. I could easily have lived happily ever after with that deck. I have that sound back now wirh a PTP6 Lenco 75. The only thing I may want still is a 12" (unipivot) arm.
I had a Thorens 166 mk2 as my first ever 'hifi' turntable. Then I upgraded to a TD320 which wasn't as good.....

In no order

1. Continuum labs caliburn/cobra/castelon stand etc. Looks amazing. Amazing performance. Incredible design concepts. Gorgeous.

2. The acoustical systems apolyt. If you're gonna go big, go nuclear. If you're gonna go gaudy, go John Gotti. No more needs be said.

3. The Bergmann galder / Odin combo. The best looking turntable in the world.

4. Fully loaded lp12. She's the Sally Field to my Burt Reynolds. Always the wife I have to go back to.

5. Rega planar 10.

6. The giant EAT thing. I'd never buy one. But damn if just looks so stupidly fun.

It took me years but I found my grail some time ago: an Antipodean wood trimmed Planar 3 plinth from c. 1980. Combined with an RB300, upgraded motor, new feet, new subplatter, and AT cartridge, I have an elegant and engaging deck I could live with forever.

I wouldn't mind an orange Rega, though. I think the P3-24 and RP3 had this colour option in limited quantities.

advertisement

Back