advertisement

Dream deck?

Hook

Blackbeard's former bo'sun.
What is the turntable of your dreams? Mine is the EMT27st.

YFIbXBU.jpg

A beautiful example has come for sale!

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa5id2-emt-927st-turntables

The description of this table makes an interesting read. Unfortunately, at $47,500, I’ll have to pass. :cool:

Absolutely stunning things. I’d personally pick the smaller 930 just due to size, plus they are rather more common/affordable (still crazy expensive for mint ones). I’ve had one in my system for a very short while, very nice sounding deck. Remarkable pitch and coherence, just rock solid. The thing I’m less keen at that price is you are pretty much stuck with one arm/cart ideology. I love them, but I think they are just too ‘plug n play’ for me, they don’t really fit with my favourite cartridges (Deccas at one extreme, things with very fancy tips that track/trace absolutely anything at the other). If I was spending real serious money I’d ideally want more flexibility there.

PS Just going from the ‘flat earth’ thing if you want to hear pitch and timing done right they are unbeatable IMO, and I bet the heavier 927 is even better. Just rock solid, but without the ‘deadness’ of many really high-mass belt-drives.

I’ll have the EMT please. The Goldmund is uuuugly.
A simple 930st would do I guess :p

My dream deck is one which makes every LP you own sound good, does not draw attention to the faults of the medium and lets you enjoy your music with your heart and not your brain.

I don't think such a thing exists but of all the decks I've had here, and I've had a lot, probably the one that comes closest is...

The Rega P1.

SME 10 + Kuzma Stogi 12 VTA or Moerch DP8
Thorens TD124 + Moerch UP4 9" + 12"
NA Dais/Mentor + Ace Anna 12"
EMT 930
- B&O 4000C or just a renovated B&O 4002
- renovated Moerch GS6 + Moerch DP6
- PTP6 Lenco 75 + FR64fx (drop in replacement for the Ortofon Bokrand I have now) + 12" (unipivot) arm
- Kuzma tt with upgraded motor unit and bearing + The best Kuzma arm I can afford.

At this point, any turntable (plus an actual hi-fi rack to hold it) would do. Step #2 is to ship my vinyl collection over from the US. I had a couple Technics SL-1200 MK2's in good condition but I sold them in part to fund my move over here some 13 years ago. Since then, nothing, and no real chance in the foreseeable future...

I'm quite happy with the sound from the decks I currently use so my dream turntable perhaps just be a very cool looking one to replace the upgraded Project Debut that's in my living room system. A Michell Orbe or something like that.

Very shallow I know!

advertisement

Back