advertisement

Downsizing to a Solid State Integrated amp

Don't forget if you are looking at driving efficient speakers, generally the lower the power the better the amp will sound. As in one pair of output devices will sound better than 2 pairs of output devices, unless of course your speakers need the power. Also, get an amp with a good linear power supply and not one with some SMPS...

Last edited:
I had a Sugden Masterclass IA-4 in my system for a week. It was a lovely thing but, ultimately, I preferred what I already own .....

!A-4 against what, Oldius? The ones you mention or another amp. Also, powering which spkrs? A couple of years ago I nearly bought the power version of the IA-4 (or the one above; can't remember) and long thought of the Sugdens as eventual replacement of my EAR valved mono's.

Don't forget if you are looking at driving efficient speakers, generally the lower the power the better the amp will sound

Interesting and useful advice; I can see the logic there, too. Inefficient spkrs tend to need welly to drive sufficiently, which doesn't always suit one's environment. Once upon a time, amps, even the up 'n' coming sand ones, tended to be of lower power; say, 10 W to 40W tops, but spkrs used to be larger and quite efficient. I can't remember any quality stand-mounts in the sixties/early seventies, but maybe I should've got out more ! Until around 1964/5, amps were valved, by and large. I bought the Truvox followed by the Leak Stereo 30 around that time; both were considered the bees' knees at the time; they weren't, though !

!A-4 against what, Oldius? The ones you mention or another amp. Also, powering which spkrs? A couple of years ago I nearly bought the power version of the IA-4 (or the one above; can't remember) and long thought of the Sugdens as eventual replacement of my EAR valved mono's.
The ones I own, but mainly against my Denon PMA850, powering my NS1000, which are also an efficient design.

I've very much enjoyed my Modwright LS36.5 pre with Audio Research Ref 75SE power amp, the latter in particular, is wonderful. I am not getting any younger, who is and I want to simplify things and maybe reduce power consumption. I use sensitive 95db speakers, so megawatts aren't a priority. I like all genres of music, except heavy rock, including Classical, opera Jazz, Blues, Singer Songwriters.
If I sell my pre power-, I will be looking in the £4000 to 6000 range, for a solid state integrated. Having heard the Hegel 190 at the Bristol show, the Hegel 390 is top of the list. I've always fancied a Luxman, so the 505 is possible in this price range, or Accuphase, the E280. The other thought is the Sugden Masterclass IA4, or NVA 50.

Any thoughts or new suggestions, gratefully received.
For much the same reasons as yourself I downsized to a quality integrated amplifier a while ago, now resting with a Marantz PM KI-Ruby for the past two years. However I was very intrigued by the Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 that appeared in the Classifieds recently. With analogue and digital inputs and network connectivity it looked to be the next step on the downsizing ladder without sacrificing quality. Sadly it was withdrawn but I was not in a position to buy it. Further down the road it may well be considered again but on the strength of a trade in. So I think you should investigate the TDAI-3400 or maybe its smaller sibling the TDAI-1120, reviews and youtube videos online.

I maybe should add that what intrigued me was that beyond the inputs all signals were handled digitally right up to the power output stage.

Within budget try and get a home loan of a Rega Aethos.
Its commonly accepted as one great sounding amp, maybe even preferred over the pre/power it will replace.

Heed Lagrange perhaps ?
Not heard it myself but lesser Heeds are rather nice.

I mothballed my multi-box, active Naim set-up about 4 years ago and replaced it with a Krell integrated and Wilson Benesch standmounters and while I liked the sound of the Naim system I prefer the current setup and it's killed off any thoughts about upgrading that side of my system.

I’ll add the new ish Enleum into the mix here if you’re looking to power efficient speakers. Ditto Decware (although not solid state). Really like the Lavardin.

I've very much enjoyed my Modwright LS36.5 pre with Audio Research Ref 75SE power amp, the latter in particular, is wonderful. I am not getting any younger, who is and I want to simplify things and maybe reduce power consumption. I use sensitive 95db speakers, so megawatts aren't a priority. I like all genres of music, except heavy rock, including Classical, opera Jazz, Blues, Singer Songwriters.
If I sell my pre power-, I will be looking in the £4000 to 6000 range, for a solid state integrated. Having heard the Hegel 190 at the Bristol show, the Hegel 390 is top of the list. I've always fancied a Luxman, so the 505 is possible in this price range, or Accuphase, the E280. The other thought is the Sugden Masterclass IA4, or NVA 50.

Any thoughts or new suggestions, gratefully received.
Or keep your preamp and buy my Zvex ImpAmp!!! http://www.innerearmag.com/archives/amplifiers/iMPAMP.shtml

That would be downsizing.

Assuming you have the budget would be looking at Sugden, Mola Mola, Enleum, Java Hifi or Audionet myself. If small budget think Sugden is the answer. I have a Java Single Shot on way as want to try Gan Fets and will post review once settled in.

Resolution Audio Cantata

Interesting suggestion! One doesn't often see Res. Audio mentioned, especially in Brit forums, although it has come up a couple times recently. I think they have a couple really interesting products, I have heard the Music Center Two, along with one of the 50 wpc amps several years ago. Quite nice sound, the sad part is that I did not really have an opportunity to hear them with speakers that I know, so hard to make an overall opinion on how the Res. Audio equipment influenced or not, the overall outcome of the music. I certainly would like to hear them again for fun, only with speakers I am familiar with. I certainly do love the looks of them!

Maybe this worth a go i did like their valve amp -

s-l1600.jpg

I mothballed my multi-box, active Naim set-up about 4 years ago and replaced it with a Krell integrated and Wilson Benesch standmounters and while I liked the sound of the Naim system I prefer the current setup and it's killed off any thoughts about upgrading that side of my system.

From class B to class A amplification and from active to passive. If the speakers had been the same for both , this would have been quite a comparison as I had Naim for over a generation then graduated (?) to valves (initially fronted by 552 but supplanted by valved pre.)

Moonriver 404 Reference could be interesting to try.

Thats a great amp . Having had the modwright 36.5 dm for some while i moved to the smaller bel canto pre amps .they are super and easily lifted and moved about

If you want a wonderful intergrated that will be near the 36.5 ref 75 then the norma 70b is an absolute MUST to demo .very good muscular amp with a velvety sound

A lot of interesting suggestions to mull over, including amps I've never heard of. I am starting off with a demo of the Hegel 390 and Luxman 507 this Friday, though the latter is a bit out of my price range. If I am happy with both or one of them, I'll put my Audio Research on this site. I won't buy anything if I can't sell the ARC. Having a pre/power and an integrated is hardly simplifying.

advertisement

Back