advertisement

Downsizing to a Solid State Integrated amp

Since you like what your Audio Research amp does, how about the funky new-ish i50? I like that it comes in a range of colours and offers a decent 50WPC.

I50-Slv-front-copy-1024x683.jpg

Oh wait, it's not solid state. Shame.

That's a good budget for an integrated. I have a Hegel H390 and its blindingly good and it streams and it has a good dac in it. I heard a Rega Aethos recently. That sounded good once it warmed up, but not in the same league imho. You might find a Rega Osiris used. A mate of mine has one of these, built like a tank and sounds great, no streaming or dac. The best Luxman I've heard is the class A 590. Again, you might find one used near your budget (but you might not). I enjoyed the Naim Supernait 2, and for your budget you'll easily find a Supernait 3 which is supposed to be better.

A lot of interesting suggestions to mull over, including amps I've never heard of. I am starting off with a demo of the Hegel 390 and Luxman 507 this Friday, though the latter is a bit out of my price range. If I am happy with both or one of them, I'll put my Audio Research on this site. I won't buy anything if I can't sell the ARC. Having a pre/power and an integrated is hardly simplifying.
If you like that Luxman enough ( think you will ) you may find that budget stretches like an elastic band !!. Enjoy demo !

Best
Do you think the IA-4 is a big improvement over the A21 SE Signature?
Best thing would be to try your speakers with both and see if the little one is good enough for you.
One thing is for sure, once you listen to the IA 4, you can’t go back, it really creates addiction.

A lot of interesting suggestions to mull over, including amps I've never heard of. I am starting off with a demo of the Hegel 390 and Luxman 507 this Friday, though the latter is a bit out of my price range. If I am happy with both or one of them, I'll put my Audio Research on this site. I won't buy anything if I can't sell the ARC. Having a pre/power and an integrated is hardly simplifying.

so glad you are having a demo of those . i heard the 390 with some amphion 3LS last month and it was just delightul . huge soundstage like a cathedral . however they are pretty heavy amps but hope thats ok

I also head the 507ux [ previous version ] with some p3esr two weeks ago and it was very very good indeed . i like the luxman as it has tone controls so you can just play about with things
now your sensitive speakers might manage with a 505 and a very late model here with a warrenty

https://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/more...2&p=integratedvalveamp&prod_id=111345&offset=

I have a Sugden A21a-L Signature for sale in classifieds at the moment. Excellent condition and just back from a Sugden service, so you won't find a better example anywhere.

Note it's not the SE commented throughout this stream, but is the A21a Signature.

Plenty of folks prefer the A21a over the SE as the SE is extremely fussy partnering (there's a very long thread on Wam if you can be bothered to look).

With 95db efficient speakers my A21a Signature would fill your room with sound easily loud enough to all but headbanger levels, so would be easily powerful enough.

I had a A21a Signature here for a month ‘back to back’ with my Norma IPA 70B. Speakers are Audio Note ANJ’s, 93dB.

I found the IPA 70 to be smoother and more authoritative in every respect. A21a Sig sounded a little ‘ragged around the edges’ to my ears. If I hadn’t heard The IPA 70B, and relatively speaking, I would have heard the A21a Sig in a different light!

I know there are many Sugden owners and admirers out there and with good reason - good amps, having owned many in my time. It’s horses for courses at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Sugden make nice amps but I would never have anything that ran so hot; it also limits choice of speaker.

The OP seems to have a good demo lined up, it’s very easy to over complicate things by listening to too many options.

I found the IPA 70 to be smoother and more authoritative in every respect. A21a Sig sounded a little ‘ragged around the edges’ to my ears.

Useful, good to know. If one doesn't compare, he wouldn't know. Once the comparison is made, one would inevitably sound inferior.

It appears that the Sugden is not quite reference level judging from the description. Ragged around the edges would suggest a roughness or slightly hard brittle sound.

Useful, good to know. If one doesn't compare, he wouldn't know. Once the comparison is made, one would inevitably sound inferior.

It appears that the Sugden is not quite reference level judging from the description. Ragged around the edges would suggest a roughness or slightly hard brittle sound.
Yes, roughness or slightly hard presentation is about right! Some folks might think norma ‘laid back’ in comparison, which ‘in comparison’ it might appear. All this stuff is relative. Definitive Audio sell Sugden and they only sell ‘Reference Level’ equipment. I think it’s only with spending an amount of time with different amps etc can we decipher what are preferences are.
Then of course, and into the complicated mix, there’s the whole ‘system synergy’ thing!

The examples made are why I always recommend hosting a bake-off, so you can try a range of amps in your room, with your speakers. Your opinion is the only one that counts, especially if this is a long-term investment.

Yes, roughness or slightly hard presentation is about right! Some folks might think norma ‘laid back’ in comparison, which ‘in comparison’ it might appear. All this stuff is relative. Definitive Audio sell Sugden and they only sell ‘Reference Level’ equipment. I think it’s only with spending an amount of time with different amps etc can we decipher what are preferences are.
Then of course, and into the complicated mix, there’s the whole ‘system synergy’ thing!
It is interesting how much of an impact a system including the room can have on sound. I had the Norma 140 for two weeks and at the price point it was unbeatable but I found it to have a bit of a bright edge. I sent it back and wonder how much better the 70
Would have been. Sadly they were all sold out.

I will have to audition the Sugden since a bright sound would rule it out for me.

It is interesting how much of an impact a system including the room can have on sound. I had the Norma 140 for two weeks and at the price point it was unbeatable but I found it to have a bit of a bright edge. I sent it back and wonder how much better the 70
Would have been. Sadly they were all sold out.

I will have to audition the Sugden since a bright sound would rule it out for me.

As I said previously, I had a slight preference for my existing amplifier over a Sugden Masterclass, in my system and in my room. As regards my own amplifiers, one has a big, smooth sound, and the other is 'cleaner' and appears more transparent. Some days, I prefer one, and other days I prefer the other. Your room, your kit, and also your mood play a part.

I found the Sugden to be closer to my Denon than my Lentek. I thought the Masterclass was a lovely amplifier, and I could definitely have lived with it, but I didn't prefer it to what I had, and with a 6k ticket price, I just couldn't justify it.

Tell that to my David Berning amplifiers. ;)

I had a Siegfried here about 10 years ago. Someone brought it in a pizza box. The box was so light I thought there was a genuine pizza inside. It was about the worse sounding 300B amplifier I have ever come across...

12 volt computer fans, run at 6 volts, quiet and effective. My amp would overheat without them, but is OK with them on.
Exactly why I couldn’t have one. I’ve heard them at a show, nice smooth sound, quite rich, not sure how they would fare with ‘rock music’?

As I’ve got older I am less tolerant of foibles, I just want things to work.

Exactly why I couldn’t have one. I’ve heard them at a show, nice smooth sound, quite rich, not sure how they would fare with ‘rock music’?

As I’ve got older I am less tolerant of foibles, I just want things to work.

They're great with rock music given the right speaker but they do produce a fair amount of heat, same as any class A design.

advertisement

Back