advertisement

Downsizing to a Solid State Integrated amp

Has anyone experience with the Audionet Sam 20 SE?
My thoughts and experiences:

Powerful, muscular and dynamic amp, but it displays a lot of finesse and delicacy. A neutral amp that will expose your other components and source material.

Very clean sounding, smooth and detailed. I’d say its character is a nod towards warmth, certainly not clinical or cold/harsh. All in all a superb integrated…but as always, your ears, your room and components will dictate your experiences

Sugdee A21SE is often recommended and I'm aware it's good too. I wonder if anyone has compared the Sugden to Luxman. A friend wants to try the Luxman but find it to be too rich for his blood and is now looking at the Sugden as an alternative.

I compared the ia4 and a21se with the lux 505. The 505 is gorgeous, but to my ears it was a bit of a sugar rush that wore off after a while. I ended up going with the a21se because of the punchy overall sound and lush midrange. The 505 definitely left an impression, though.

One of the best integrated amps i ever owned was a Musical Fidelity A300. I have considered seeking one out and going back to an integrated!

I compared the ia4 and a21se with the lux 505. The 505 is gorgeous, but to my ears it was a bit of a sugar rush that wore off after a while. I ended up going with the a21se because of the punchy overall sound and lush midrange. The 505 definitely left an impression, though.

Thanks for the information, certainly useful. I can surely relate to the Sugden A21SE showing an overall punchier sound and lusher midrange than the Luxman 505. The Luxman L-590AXII which I own also sounds less forward or punchy when compared to other amps which I own (or owned) such as Naim 282/250DR. The presentation of the Lux is more toward clarity, detail, delicacy and nuance while other amps may focus on different aspects of the sound reproduction such as punch and dynamics.

What did you think of the ia4? Was it price that led you to the a21se?

I went from an old Bryston pre and power to a Rega Aethos,
The Aethos is fabulous and I often think it's all the amp I need.I use it with Magneplanner 1.7 i which are a tricky load but it drives them superbly.I see you have high sensitivity speakers so high power isn't an issue.

A couple of weeks ago a mate brought an Audio Research LS15 preamp over to try with the Aethos direct in which by passes the Aethos preamp.I mention this as you have an Arc poweramp.
It sounded better more soundstage and leading edge of notes.More HiFI if you like.
But going back to just the Aethos I wasn't depressed at all and really liked its sound maybe a bit dryer sounding.

So many great amps recommended by other posters.Luxman and Accuphase and Sugden.
I would try to hear a Rega Osaris as you can get them half price 2nd hand.
I am sure you will get something right for your system - Good luck in your search.

Thats an interesting option as then being closer to Aethos price new, I wonder if Aethos wouldn't sound better overall or at least become a better purchase ?
Indeed Osiris is not available around every corner, rumors for a new/revised edition have been running a while now.
I've seen pictures from Rega factory where they test some new things obviously, Aethos was used as amp.

What did you think of the ia4? Was it price that led you to the a21se?

My impression of the IA-4 is that it's more linear with more space between the frequencies--everyhing stays in its lane. It's a cleaner sound overall, and I think the top is more prominent than it is with the a21se. I was ready to buy it, and one day I still might, but I had another listen to the a21se, and that comparison immediately confirmed for me just how much I love the midrange of the a21se, so that was the basis for the decision more than anything else.

I should add that I really love the a21se with Harbeth P3s, but for my tastes it's a bit too warm with the C7s, which I think are pretty warm themselves. Together they can turn the midrange into a bit of slush. I think with the C7s the IA-4 would be a better choice precisely because it's a more balanced presentation.

I have a Sugden Masterclass AA power amp and a Sugden LA-4 pre. I think that you will struggle to better the Sugden, particularly if you are in UK, since their servicing is very reasonably priced and they service all their products. I am sure that anything Accuphase will be very nice too though.

I have a Sugden Masterclass AA power amp and a Sugden LA-4 pre. I think that you will struggle to better the Sugden, particularly if you are in UK, since their servicing is very reasonably priced and they service all their products. I am sure that anything Accuphase will be very nice too though.

What speakers do you have david99?

I have 3 pairs - Naim SL-2, Naim SBL, and Teddy Pardo SP2-V. The Sugden setup sounds extremely good with any/all of them - the differences lie more in speaker positioning.

I would also suggest TP pre/power which I also have but they are no longer made and not that easy to source used.

I have 3 pairs - Naim SL-2, Naim SBL, and Teddy Pardo SP2-V. The Sugden setup sounds extremely good with any/all of them - the differences lie more in speaker positioning.

I would also suggest TP pre/power which I also have but they are no longer made and not that easy to source used.

Neat Momentum 4i on my AA Pre/Power combo...

I have not heard Neat speakers but I have heard good things. I’d highly recommend SL-2s to anyone who has the cash but they are now hard to find and SBLs are very very close for a lot less money. Speakers aside, I see Sugden as a no-brainer when it comes to amps.

I went from an old Bryston pre and power to a Rega Aethos,
The Aethos is fabulous and I often think it's all the amp I need.I use it with Magneplanner 1.7 i which are a tricky load but it drives them superbly.I see you have high sensitivity speakers so high power isn't an issue.

A couple of weeks ago a mate brought an Audio Research LS15 preamp over to try with the Aethos direct in which by passes the Aethos preamp.I mention this as you have an Arc poweramp.
It sounded better more soundstage and leading edge of notes.More HiFI if you like.
But going back to just the Aethos I wasn't depressed at all and really liked its sound maybe a bit dryer sounding.

So many great amps recommended by other posters.Luxman and Accuphase and Sugden.
I am sure you will get something right for your system - Good luck in your search.

wow , read so much about the aethos and had no idea it could be used as a power amp. thats brilliant . means there is a way of upgrading it if you want . i use an integrated as a power amp and using a separate pre hugely improves its performance

My impression of the IA-4 is that it's more linear with more space between the frequencies--everyhing stays in its lane. It's a cleaner sound overall, and I think the top is more prominent than it is with the a21se. I was ready to buy it, and one day I still might, but I had another listen to the a21se, and that comparison immediately confirmed for me just how much I love the midrange of the a21se, so that was the basis for the decision more than anything else.

I should add that I really love the a21se with Harbeth P3s, but for my tastes it's a bit too warm with the C7s, which I think are pretty warm themselves. Together they can turn the midrange into a bit of slush. I think with the C7s the IA-4 would be a better choice precisely because it's a more balanced presentation.

we are all so different and of course each amp will sound different with a different speaker . personally i found the sugden a21se to be hard and clinical with p3esr . arcam was warm , emotional and involving and 5 times better

advertisement

Back