advertisement

Donald Trump - non-American missing the point III

Meanwhile, Donald continues with his great Situationist prank.

Women who have illegal abortions should be punished, Republican presidential frontrunner Donald Trump said on Wednesday.

Trump was asked by MSNBC’s Chris Matthews to define his “pro-life” stance and assertions that abortion should be banned.

“Do you believe in punishment for abortion – yes or no – as a principle?” asked Matthews, during the taping of a town hall event.

“The answer is there has to be some form of punishment,” said Trump.

“For the woman?” Matthews said.

“Yeah, there has to be some form,” Trump replied.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/mar/30/donald-trump-women-abortions-punishment

Matt Frei's one hour Channel 4 Trump documentary was very good and illustrated perfectly just how insane a choice this moron would be for POTUS. By saying that Cruz is no better, in fact there was footage of him sharing a platform with a Christian hate preacher who was calling for gay people to be killed. Things don't get much more fascist than that. It is time to class the Republican Party as a terrorist organisation IMHO. Program link.

Only caught the last third but it is quite amazing to think that 10s of millions of people are going to vote for him. The US political system somehow has this ability to sideline anyone remotely sensible and ensures that the race for nominations come down to outrageous characters. I wonder if much of this is down to how the press cover it or whether its just the marketing machinery in place.

Don't split hairs old chap, make the whole USA a terrorist organisation.
I'd say there's only a few hundred terrorists in the place.

These'll be routed out of positions of power eventually and the USA really can be great again :)

After much criticism over the last 24 hours, Drumpf walked back his statement by saying he really only wants to put Doctors and Nurses in jail for performing abortions.

74% of women (from all parties) now rate Drumpf unfavorably. Given his many misogynist statements, I am surprised the percentage isn't even higher.

On another topic, Drumpf said that Japan and South Korea should have their own nuclear weapons. IMO, with the possible exception of climate change, there is no greater threat to the planet than nuclear proliferation.

Matt Frei's one hour Channel 4 Trump documentary was very good and illustrated perfectly just how insane a choice this moron would be for POTUS. By saying that Cruz is no better, in fact there was footage of him sharing a platform with a Christian hate preacher who was calling for gay people to be killed. Things don't get much more fascist than that. It is time to class the Republican Party as a terrorist organisation IMHO. Program link.

I watched that, Trump is certainly scary but seemed a pussy cat compared to Cruz and his mates.

I really think unless one of the big companies with very deep pockets like Apple get involved in digging up some dirt and funding publicity, he's probably going to win.

From what I hear from friends living in the US his businesses success and powerful presentation goes a long way with a lot of Americans, that and the lack of a decent alternative may let him in.

I've said here before that the North American empire is now on the wane. It seems to me that when any great nation gets to the point that its people all live in (comparative) luxury and security and have an over abundance of food, fuel etc, they seem to become more war like and turn on other nations. I guess when a nation hits its peak the only way is down, people don't like this and the governments have to have external forces to blame?

Only caught the last third but it is quite amazing to think that 10s of millions of people are going to vote for him. The US political system somehow has this ability to sideline anyone remotely sensible and ensures that the race for nominations come down to outrageous characters. I wonder if much of this is down to how the press cover it or whether its just the marketing machinery in place.

One of the few things that Nero said that made any sort of sense was that the masses can be kept happy (or at least pacified) by "bread and circuses". The bread bit is singularly lacking for many ordinary folk in the USA, hence the anger, but there are circuses aplenty, and Donald is an expert ringmaster. Given the US's huge entertainment industry, it's surprising that the worlds of show business and real life haven't intermingled more than they have. But now we have the ultimate, the selection of the US President as reality show.

Interesting article in yesterday's NYT - the grandees and intellectuals of the Republican Party are turning on their own core voters:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/30/o...he-angriest-republicans.html?ref=opinion&_r=0

It sounds as if the GOP is currently cutting its own throat.

I watched that, Trump is certainly scary but seemed a pussy cat compared to Cruz and his mates.

I really think unless one of the big companies with very deep pockets like Apple get involved in digging up some dirt and funding publicity, he's probably going to win.

From what I hear from friends living in the US his businesses success and powerful presentation goes a long way with a lot of Americans, that and the lack of a decent alternative may let him in.

I've said here before that the North American empire is now on the wane. It seems to me that when any great nation gets to the point that its people all live in (comparative) luxury and security and have an over abundance of food, fuel etc, they seem to become more war like and turn on other nations. I guess when a nation hits its peak the only way is down, people don't like this and the governments have to have external forces to blame?

I'm in little doubt that Trump will win the Republican nomination (unless he is assassinated first), but I'd be utterly astounded if he won the Presidential election. Thankfully the bookies all seem to agree with me (Oddschecker). It is looking like a slam-dunk for Clinton.

PS Whilst, like many nations, America is riddled with religious nut-jobs, oddballs and losers, it is also chock-full of highly educated, decent and intelligent people. Remember this is the nation of NASA, blues, jazz, abstract impressionism, Silicon Valley, Hollywood, Woodstock etc etc, and these people are not going to let a wannabe fascist fantasist like Trump anywhere near the Whitehouse. One does not need to have invented the Hubble Space Telescope to realise this man is a total cock.

Trouble is all ordinary people see is his success. I hope you are right although I don't think Clinton is any better, she just has a better mask. Time will tell.

'Chock full' is not the phrase I'd use in this context, in fact my experience is the exact reverse. Hence the current situation. America has never had a female President, I'm not sure that they're going to want Clinton as their first one.

I still struggle to understand how the system narrows it's candidates down to these two though. Rough choice for Americans, it's not so much who you want, as to who you don't want more.

Trouble is all ordinary people see is his success. I hope you are right although I don't think Clinton is any better, she just has a better mask. Time will tell.

Clinton is a really nasty piece of work.

I'm not convinced Trump would actually be any worse from a global perspective - at least he would shake up the status quo in the US...

I love Trump's "Real Housewives of New Jersey" hand gestures he uses to emphasis the absolute emptiness of his speeches. The one where he uses both index fingers to trace a picture frame- inside which there is absolutely nothing. When Hilary wins, she should appoint him as ambassador to Tripoli.

I'm not convinced Trump would actually be any worse from a global perspective - at least he would shake up the status quo in the US...

He'd behave exactly as he does in business, i.e. kiss up to those who flatter his ego and abuse and exploit those he sees beneath him. The man is a textbook narcissistic personality to the extent many clinical psychologists are storing footage for teaching material, he will be so easy for the power-brokers of the Republican Party to manipulate. He does not for a second believe what he is saying, he is only saying the controversial stuff to get people he views as thick chavs or religious lunatics to vote for him. This is evident by his being all over the map; he will tell anyone whatever he thinks they want to hear even if he contradicts it completely ten minutes later. Sadly as his voter-demographic is somewhat thick they don't seem to mind! He has proven with his business actions that he has nothing but contempt for workers. A remarkably exploitative employer and con-artist.

advertisement

Back