advertisement

diyAudio group buy Paradise R3 phono stage boards

Are you using the group buy pre-reg ? Pics ?

I get 29.2V on load from mine, I can check off load with the 10W 10R GB Dales if it helps.

Though I have the Block GB TX.

Just checked the no load voltage from the GB is 43.0 V DC with 242 V AC Mains.

Yes, the GB pre-reg. I will have to hang on until I know for sure what my current requirement is after sorting out the issue dialling in the Calvin.
29.2V seems a little high. Is that what you are feeding the psu's with?
Thanks anyway

I keep discovering more about this build as I continue to read all the threads. Ordered these -
Bourns 10 μH ±10% Ferrite Leaded Inductor, 1.28A Idc, 33mΩ Rdc 5800

I wasn't very impressed with the hand-wound coils on my Calvin boards and considered winding some new ones until I saw that others had used factory wound ones.

Last edited:
I needed four altogether. 2 for my completed boards and 2 for my kit of parts. Why are the hand wound ones better? I read the opposite earlier in this thread!

I'm struggling to find it now but I saw a comment which I thought was yours Simon about the hand wound coils being well short of 10 microhenries and replaced with factory items.
Must have been someone else. What gauge wire did you use?

I changed my shunt resistors from 10 to 8.2 ohm.This has made adjusting the Calvin and shunt trimmers less difficult and the heatsink temps are good.
I am puzzled though. I can get the voltages across the Calvin 22 ohm resistors to within 0.5mV when they are in the 90 something mV range. When I check the voltage between the Calvin in and out (both disconnected) it's high 150 odd mV.
To get this down to almost zero I have to adjust the Calvin trimmer in a major way but then the voltages across the 22 ohm resistors are in the 150mV range.
Should I be doing the IN to OUT voltage check with the board audio in/out disconnected? Maybe these are two different ways of dialling in the board. If so, trimming down the IN to OUT is the easiest by some margin.
Is there a latest method for set up that someone could give me a link to?

With the 150K fitted and only the power connected you should dial the output down to zero mV. If your input offset on the main boards is zero and the input stage parts well selected yhe output from the Calvins when fully connected should remain the same.

Don't forget it'll never be right unless it's cased up, thermally stable and with 50 hours plus on the caps on the side of the main board.

Simon - Do I do this by matching the potentials on Calvin R6 and R11 or by reducing the voltage between the Calvin IN and OUT?
I do have a 100k in R15 position for the set up.

Just thinking about this instruction -
Adjustments
The new buffer has adjustable offset, and should be adjusted to zero. For this, simply
connect a multimeter between the „IN“ and „OUT“ connections, and adjust the trimpot to
zero. That's it folks!

Just thinking about this instruction -
Adjustments
The new buffer has adjustable offset, and should be adjusted to zero. For this, simply
connect a multimeter between the „IN“ and „OUT“ connections, and adjust the trimpot to
zero. That's it folks!

Without R15 in place...

I adjust off the board with r15 in place but fed voltage from the board. I trim the incoming rails so the leds light up evenly then trim the output with trimmer on the Calvin

Misterdog,
You wrote that hand wound Calvin inductors are an upgrade.
Where can I find some dialogue about this please? I found my coils were under one microhenry. I like my new factory inductors - well their appearance anyway as I haven't heard the board since I started fettling it.
I am starting to remove key transistors to compare Hfe with my DCA 75. Buying the ready assembled boards from a DIY Audio member has turned out to not be a time saver at all. That's the problem when you don't know the provenance with this sort of build. I should have just started from scratch with my component set.

As Simon has built some 23 ? of these and analysed practically every component in every location, I just take his word for it. :)

advertisement

Back