advertisement

diyAudio group buy Paradise R3 phono stage boards

And here we are two years later and I'm still building the buggers. One going out the door on Wednesday, another just starting.

49629556273_dde07a4dd1_b.jpg

Definitely not , Vida stays for sure but I have set of Paradise boards sitting in the cupboard and started thinking about another TT setup for our holiday apartment abroad .

I have one full set but it belongs to current Paradise owner - spares , I really don't want to go through matching process again but if I have to I will .
Simon , do you remember where better matching BC's come from was that Rapid online?

My last batches from.mouser were the best I've ever had, 75% within a +/- 10hfe measure and the 337 were only +5 from the 327 so a huge overlap, there usually about +30 the typical 327 values.

Check a few pages back on the diyaudio paradise PCB thread started by algaremi, I list the mouser parts numbers in a post.

They were so good I bought 2000.

My last batches from.mouser were the best I've ever had, 75% within a +/- 10hfe measure and the 337 were only +5 from the 327 so a huge overlap, there usually about +30 the typical 327 values.

Check a few pages back on the diyaudio paradise PCB thread started by algaremi, I list the mouser parts numbers in a post.

They were so good I bought 2000.

Thanks for that , I have my own excel file with all parts but under BC337, 327 link to Mouser and Rapid - forgot to update which one I bought , but I'm certain now it was Rapid as it came on ammo tape and Mouser link takes me to bulk packaging .
I will order from Rapid as Mouser takes ages to arrive atm , ordered some parts last week , estimated delivery Thursday .

Finally got around to recapping my Paradise boards. The shunts getting a few OSCON SP 10uf 25v and
Wurth100μF Polymer Caps. And on the MC amp side getting those nasty, cheap 6,800uF out, replaced with a set of Panasonic 6800μF 6.3V caps. One of the old ones was having a good bulge...

2020-06-13_04-34-31 by Garf Arf, on Flickr

2020-06-13_04-35-28 by Garf Arf, on Flickr

All powered on overnight waiting for the caps to form up.

Last edited:
While you at it you might want to replace C103, C203 100uF capacitors if ones you have used are rated 16V , 20V minimum rating is needed in this position

I’m still blown away with mine.
Paired with the Technics it’s just silent, in the right way!!
Crystal clear in the rest of the way!

I will eventually decide on what value, foo loading plugs to get to complete it.

While you at it you might want to replace C103, C203 100uF capacitors if ones you have used are rated 16V , 20V minimum rating is needed in this position

The Wurth 100uF caps are rated at 25V. I've not touched the C105 capacitor this time around. I am thinking about replacing the poly caps in the RIAA network with some polystyrene ones...

I normally do 2x 16 plus a wima or two and a 10n plus a wima. Nice long legs on these so you can croc clip them to act as heat sinks. Always the biggest risk with styrene especially on a leg to ground plane where you need some heat for a good joint.

I actually tend to solder these on the top of the board as the via helps reduce the heat needed for a good joint.

33365758423_f15fcce9b6_b.jpg

All signed, sealed and soaked, this one is ready for the trip to South Wales.

Simon
What make and Voltage are the 4700uf& 6800uf you have on the boards, a couple of my original boards look like they are bulging so I think I will replace the full set

Never seen that before Alan, check the voltages, they're run under voltage if you have the trim pots on the shunts set for c 18v.

I only ever use Panasonic, fm, fc or fk.

If its the first caps in each line check the shunts for oscillation. While you're in there I'd replace all the caps around the shunt with 35v wurth organic polymer and the two small blue caps with Panasonic fc 25v, they're the two that need a touch of impedance.

There's a 68n film cap add on for the shunt, in addition to the 470pf, 2.2n mod.

Pm me if you want details.

If anyone out there has a Paradise that's five years old or more I'm happy to give it the once over and replace all the caps on the shunt for the cost of parts if you cover p&p. It's about £25.

Simon
What make and Voltage are the 4700uf& 6800uf you have on the boards, a couple of my original boards look like they are bulging so I think I will replace the full set

I had a couple that had a bulge about them, the four closest to the shunt. They were from the original group buy.

IMG_20200613_131315 by Garf Arf, on Flickr

I replace them with FCs. I also took on Si's advice and replaced all the caps in the shunt with his recommendations.

Not the best pic, but you can see the tops of the caps I changed in the shunt area.

IMG_20200613_160022 by Garf Arf, on Flickr

and the little heartburn tent has been replaced with one of Si's Paradise huts still then.

2021-09-26_11-28-32 by Garf Arf, on Flickr

These are installed, right from the start.

2021-09-27_09-00-22 by Garf Arf, on Flickr

Not the best soldering and clean up in the world, but they did stop the 2Mhz oscillation.

Paradise by Garf Arf, on Flickr

None on then look to be 6n8 mind you.

I do have a working oscilloscope these days so I could always check the shunt output.

advertisement

Back