advertisement

Dispute with Amazon

I think this is it and the force me to report it to the police is just a way to stop fraudsters who presumably want nothing to do with the police. Although I am still surprised that all their emails are generic and they are obviously not reading my emails to them. It's also deeply annoying that the first reply from them ends the email chain (rejected by the mailer at their end) and so ends the email conversation.

So I guess I will waste some police time tomorrow. Although it's not clear what crime I am meant to be reporting: Am I reporting Amazon for theft? Or turning myself in?

I've since bought the monitor from Scan so I need a refund now. From Scan it came the next day via DPD with proper tracking and an hour delivery slot.

The cs-reply email address I sent you the other day got a proper reply from a human being when I used it recently about a pair of headphones.

You seem to be discussing this with Amazon via e-mail. Have you tried calling them? It worked for me when an item went adrift.

Yes the call centre just say "We will send you an email tomorrow" which after pressing them changes to "We cannot tell you any more about this as it has been handed to our investigations team" and then finally "If you are still not happy you should contact the police".

The cs-reply email address I sent you the other day got a proper reply from a human being when I used it recently about a pair of headphones.

Any attempt to ask them more questions via any email gets a canned response saying "We have checked, it was delivered, please contact the police". There is never any attempt to answer my questions and the canned replies, which come from the address tagged with some kind of case number, always bounce at the mailer daemon.

So you have to raise a new email and you get the same canned response back.

ISTM that it's Amazon that should be reporting a crime to the police rather than you since, no crime has been committed against you and if a crime has been committed you don't have all the details anyway.

You simply ordered and paid for an item which has not been delivered to you and therefore your contract with Amazon has not been fulfilled. If they think the item has been mis-appropriated in transit, then that's their issue not yours. Personally I wouldn't under any circumstances report it to the police in case that's seen as an admission that it might be your loss.

Yes, that's roughly my thoughts as well. What do I even say? I have no idea what crime is even meant to have been committed. I am pretty sure that the police have better things to do.

Report the crime - but report Amazon as the perpetrator. Amazon supplier, Amazon logistics. Wilfully withholding promised goods after taking your money.

Would it be worth just threatening them with county court action for non-delivery of goods ordered and paid-for? I'd certainly not get dragged into any criminal thing as basically you ordered, they haven't delivered, so technically their problem. Might be worth asking a lawyer for advice if you know one.

In order to report it (the crime) to the police Amazon should provide you with the who, when and where details of the 'delivery'.

All too hard. Initiate bank protection, get your money back. Build a beacon website warning others off the rocks of Amazon UK's dodgy practices. Web-optimise it. Sell it as a going concern with masses of traffic. Profit.

#amazonUKdodgy #amazonfraud etc

There appear to be similar protection in place for debit cards.

Stephen

Not as clear cut as credit card protection.
As your link says:

Remember that any protection offered is not a legal obligation (like Section 75 for credit cards) but an in-house rule: this means that the exact rules for chargeback schemes vary by card provider, so you should make sure you are aware of your debit card's chargeback rules.

Not as clear cut as credit card protection.
As your link says:

Remember that any protection offered is not a legal obligation (like Section 75 for credit cards) but an in-house rule: this means that the exact rules for chargeback schemes vary by card provider, so you should make sure you are aware of your debit card's chargeback rules.

Thanks Bob—makes sense to use CCs then!

Stephen

I'm really surprised by their response. I've had similar issues at Christmas - albeit for items worth a lot less - and they replaced without question. Customer service is one of the reasons I use Amazon.

What gets me is that we are implicated in the whole thing, mildly or not. It does become our concern because we are in the loop of suspicion regarding a criminal act. We may indeed become the prime suspect if the driver claims he definately delivered at the address stated. If the driver is a tea leaf he will say anything to get off the hook

I think we should be more involved in the investigation and need to know exactly where the parcel was tracked to or if companies have dodgy drivers on the route to my house.

I get miffed at the way the large companies just brush the whole thing off. A fraud and theft has been commited. I dont agree with that in the workplace :) What is the definition of serious fraud? Is it items over £100, £500, £1000 or larger. I would be pretty cheesed off if a £10 item was signed for by someone else. Are we so casual now that nothing gets investigated below a certain amount? Its just par for the course is it?

Ok they have insurance policies but we need to know the standards they operate to and the people they are actually employing in a race to the bottom.

The drivers/depot workers can obviously get away with it or they wouldnt do it.

Amazon is a retailer like any other. E-mail their head office, explain that they have your money but your have not received the goods. Give them 10 days to sort it or say you will use them through Small claims court.

If it is not sorted, sue them. They are such a monolithic organisation they will probably not defend the action and you win by default.

Any attempt to ask them more questions via any email gets a canned response saying "We have checked, it was delivered, please contact the police". There is never any attempt to answer my questions and the canned replies, which come from the address tagged with some kind of case number, always bounce at the mailer daemon.

So you have to raise a new email and you get the same canned response back.

Odd.

I've communicated with them and had replies from an address tagged with a case number, but the cs-reply address I sent you has seen responses in exactly the form I sent you with no case number added and clearly sent by a human not using a generic response.

Decided to check online what has happened to the RAM I ordered. Amazon were delivering it all week to one of their lockers in London and ... it has gone missing.

My guess is it has been stolen by somebody working for Amazon logistics.

Amazon have given me a refund. When it comes through I will try and order some RAM again and get it delivered to my home instead.

The guy working on the Amazon phone line was easy to deal with. He apologized when I suggested the RAM had probably been stolen. "There will be an investigation," he said.

Will there really? I somehow doubt it.

Jack

Will there really? I somehow doubt it.

I'd be surprised if not. From a business perspective the very last thing Amazon need is a theiving delivery network. I get the impression they work people pretty hard and have fairly rigid contracts so I'd expect there would be an x strikes and you are out policy with anyone from warehouse pickers to delivery folk. Losing Matthew's monitor, your RAM etc is a terrible business strategy!

Perhaps you're right. I normally select the free delivery option. The next lot of RAM I buy though, I will pay for it to be delivered.

Jack

Had this exact same issue 2 weeks ago, only a £40 item but got the "handed to recipient" line. Online chat support work from scripts abroad, useless until you mention the magic words "will be contacting my credit card company and initiating the chargeback process".

advertisement

Back