advertisement

Dilemma: Klipsch Cornwall IV vs Tannoy Kensington SE

Last edited:
I'm way out in Victoria BC or I'd snag it after an in person demo.

Art Dudley had a fine time with one here.

RIP
So that's 2 votes for the Jadis, and none for the others, even though:
  • The Jadis is fixed bias with populated tubes. Changing the tubes/bias requires virtually dismantling the amp, so there will be no tube rolling (not that I'm inclined to do that, but I do expect the tubes to degrade at some point).
  • PrimaLuna was mentioned earlier in this thread, and this particular model has auto-biasing and senses when your tubes have failed.
  • The Willsenton can be used as both an integrated and a preamp, has gotten a few good reviews, but is from China.
  • Mastersound is a generally respected maker of tube gear
Any other votes, for or against?

Having just seen this, i'm wondering if another cheap option would be to track down a quad 303? It would certainly be cheaper than some of the valve power amp options being mentioned, and might give the sort of presentation you are maybe lacking with more modern transistor amps.

Tony, any thoughts on an old quad as an option, or would this be sort of half way to the right answer of a valve power amp?

I’d vote for the Willsenton, but upgrade the 845’s to Psvane.
Or wait and find a Leben 300
Or the PrimaLuna.
All those will show you what valves with some warmth will do with the speakers.

Having just seen this, i'm wondering if another cheap option would be to track down a quad 303? It would certainly be cheaper than some of the valve power amp options being mentioned, and might give the sort of presentation you are maybe lacking with more modern transistor amps.

Tony, any thoughts on an old quad as an option, or would this be sort of half way to the right answer of a valve power amp?
I asked Tony about the 303, and he said it made more sense to go with tubes. The 303 wouldn't give me enough of what I need.

It is a really good half-way house with Klipsch, I ran one of mine with the LaScalas for a long while as it just wasn’t practical to run a valve amp on what was effectively my TV system, but in Mike’s main system situation I’d go for valves.

The one thing I would urge here is patience. It can take me years to make a decision and throwing $thousands at a dealer seldom leads to happiness IME. Just wait. The right amp will turn up in time and at the right price (i.e. one where you can’t lose). It always does. FWIW a Leben 300 or the equivalent Luxman or Audio Note would be a great option. A pair of EL84s each side really is more than enough here, and all these amps are good enough never to want anything better.

PS FWIW I run a 303 with my Lockwood Tannoys as I just prefer it to anything in that context I’ve tried so far. It is the classic UK retro studio system and I bet at least 20% of my music collection was recorded and mastered through very similar kit. It just sounds ‘right’ to me. I’ve tried a lot of stuff and just keep going back to the humble 303.

I'll vote for the Wiilsenton. I haven't heard it but my Cornwalls sounded great with my tweaked Ming Da 805s and with my Mastersound 845s both putting out some 45 watts. Ming Da are of course Chinese, breathed on by the UK importer, and I swapped these for a Chinese Cayin 845 (25 watts) designed in Germany and both have superb build /easy bias with the latter having a remote. Willsenton enjoy a good reputation.

So that's 2 votes for the Jadis, and none for the others, even though:
  • The Jadis is fixed bias with populated tubes. Changing the tubes/bias requires virtually dismantling the amp, so there will be no tube rolling (not that I'm inclined to do that, but I do expect the tubes to degrade at some point).
  • PrimaLuna was mentioned earlier in this thread, and this particular model has auto-biasing and senses when your tubes have failed.
  • The Willsenton can be used as both an integrated and a preamp, has gotten a few good reviews, but is from China.
  • Mastersound is a generally respected maker of tube gear
Any other votes, for or against?
hi Mike, having tried some valve amps on my ex Tannoy Eatons or Audio Note J's (the Jadis Orchestra included) what I can tell you is that they couldn't sing as freely with emotion or drama as when they were driven by my ol' Audio Innovations Series 200 MkIII (1xECC83, 2xECC82, 4xEL84) power amp 👍- which is extremely close to the Audio Note P1/Oto sonics-wise 🎵🎶 (but much cheaper). let me know if interested, please. and yes, it wasn't the Kensingtons, and I might be accused of being biased - but I know what I'm writing about 😙

hi Mike, having tried some valve amps on my ex Tannoy Eatons or Audio Note J's (the Jadis Orchestra included) what I can tell you is that they couldn't sing as freely with emotion or drama as when they were driven by my ol' Audio Innovations Series 200 MkIII (1xECC83, 2xECC82, 4xEL84) power amp 👍- which is extremely close to the Audio Note P1/Oto sonics-wise 🎵🎶 (but much cheaper). let me know if interested, please. and yes, it wasn't the Kensingtons, and I might be accused of being biased - but I know what I'm writing about 😙
Hmmm. There's a MkII on ebay in the UK. I wonder how the MkII compares to the MkIII. Also, they may not ship to Canada.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
@Mike Hanson That's a fine list of amps to choose from, don't think you'd be disappointed with any of them. Don't disregard the Willsenton just because it's Chinese, I've got two valve amps, Yaqin 300B and RFTLYS using 6550's and both sound great to my ears. My only recommendation would be to go with self biasing, it does save some hassle. I know Primo Luna have this feature and without googling the others I would not know.

I’ve owned Heresy’s but not Cornwalls. I’m somewhat certain the Cornwall’s will be my next speaker.

My instinct is to get a Line Magnertic 845 amp to match because the 518i I used in the past to drive my Snell’s was exceptional. Has anyone tried one of the big LM with Cornwalls? @Mike Hanson if no one has anything to say about that in the negative, that would be high on my list.

The Willsenton might be a fairly inexpensive foot in those waters.

@Mike Hanson That's a fine list of amps to choose from, don't think you'd be disappointed with any of them. Don't disregard the Willsenton just because it's Chinese, I've got two valve amps, Yaqin 300B and RFTLYS using 6550's and both sound great to my ears. My only recommendation would be to go with self biasing, it does save some hassle. I know Primo Luna have this feature and without googling the others I would not know.
Yeah, I'm a bit concerned by the biasing thing, especially the fixed bias units.

I’ve owned Heresy’s but not Cornwalls. I’m somewhat certain the Cornwall’s will be my next speaker.

My instinct is to get a Line Magnertic 845 amp to match because the 518i I used in the past to drive my Snell’s was exceptional. Has anyone tried one of the big LM with Cornwalls? @Mike Hanson if no one has anything to say about that in the negative, that would be high on my list.

The Willsenton might be a fairly inexpensive foot in those waters.
The Chinese thing is not a major deal, but I'm more uncomfortable with the reports of lack of bass definition. I realize this a general criticism of tubes versus solid state. Perhaps the Cornwall's right demeanor will make up for that. I can only try and see.

BTW, I just realized that the Cary Audio SLI-100 is local, so I've asked if he would bring it by for me to audition. We'll see what he says.

I've also decided to defer the McIntosh trial for now, given its high cost and the many reports of middling performance.

I'll vote for the PrimaLuna. I only know the very first incarnation of these great amps, the Prologue. I heard it in the nineties and have been thinking about getting one since then. There has always been an excuse, like kids and the energy consumption. But I notice that the later argument has made me think about it again; a tube amp can be used as a side-heater in winter (so in summer I wouldn't use it). I remember the Primaluna sounding so 'lively' and 'natural'. Always hard to find the right words. There was just so much happening in the music, while at the same time everything was just right. It probably wasn't perfect, but for that kind of money it was. Now you mention the EVO 100, that must be in another ballpark alltogether...

advertisement

Back