advertisement

Devialet with Harbeth / My first impressions.

I tried the new Devialet 110 today, with Harbeth P3 and M30.1. Same room, same tracks as the D Premier demo last week.

Lovely detail and transparency like the D Premier, and a great involving sound. I prefer the simplified design also. However, the bass just sounded boomy and floppy. It became a little tiresome after an hour of demo. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood, maybe the room was too small, or maybe it's just not as good. Difficult to say as I can't try a deeper dive at home just yet.

I thought the easier to drive M30.1 would be easier on the ear, but if anything, the P3 sounded faster and more controlled. I really wasn't expecting this.

The room was quite small, but it did sound fantastic last week with the 240 watts D Premier. Have to add, the Devialet 110 was only hours old, so maybe that had an effect.

Coming home to the Metrum, Croft and P3 sound very good. Familiar, perhaps, but very good. The Croft is only 55wpc I believe, but it seems to have as (if not more) much control. The 110 is probably worth another demo in the future. It's a great product but it wasn't giving me the same wow factor today as I hoped it would.

Hi Novac,

Nice report, very interesting re the 110.

Peter

Listening further into the same playlist on the Croft, it does not have the same issues as the Devialet did. Bass is more controlled and deeper. The mid range leaps out like the Devialet, and the detail is up there. Perhaps the Devialet has a touch more fine detail and transparency, but it's not enough to take a leap into the Devialet world. Hard to truly compare though, as they are in different rooms.

However, it looks like I'm sticking with the Croft.

Yes, I had considered that. I was recently looking at the Monoblocks and the Pre with separate PSU.

Have you any experience of these in comparison to the 25 R and 7 R?

25RS/7R is amazing. I can't imagine Harbeths in a little room would need the monoblocks. Glenn uses them with stacked 57s so that's another story.

Oxford Audio Consultants ran a demo afternoon of Devaliet amps last wednesday. I have to say I was very impressed indeed with the D premier through Magico speakers. Clean dynamic, detailed without any edge. next door they were using both the 110 and 170, I think it was, through Sonus Faber Guaneri standmounts. In contrast, I was pretty underwhelmed by both, congested, edgy, fairly nasty really.
I believe Devaliet have the reputaion of having a house sound right through the range. That was'nt my experience at all, all be it, with only a 90 minute demo. The D premier was very good, but at north of £11000, it jolly well should be

Yes, I had considered that. I was recently looking at the Monoblocks and the Pre with separate PSU.

Have you any experience of these in comparison to the 25 R and 7 R?

Yes and I would say, that as you go up the range, the sounds get a fair bit better with every step. At present, you are on the bottom rung but experiencing just how good Croft is.

My mistake. Last time I looked, he had an Integrated.

Anyway, what he has is only just over half the cost of the DV.

Oxford Audio Consultants ran a demo afternoon of Devaliet amps last wednesday. I have to say I was very impressed indeed with the D premier through Magico speakers. Clean dynamic, detailed without any edge. next door they were using both the 110 and 170, I think it was, through Sonus Faber Guaneri standmounts. In contrast, I was pretty underwhelmed by both, congested, edgy, fairly nasty really.
I believe Devaliet have the reputaion of having a house sound right through the range. That was'nt my experience at all, all be it, with only a 90 minute demo. The D premier was very good, but at north of £11000, it jolly well should be

Very valuable comment for me, David. I thought that since the whole devialet range uses the same "ADH" technology, all devices would sound the same way. That's roughly what they say at Devialet's. Actually, I was about to demo the D-premier since my local dealer only has this model, and I was considering to order the D170 if convinced by the D-premier sound quality...
Apparently, I should be more cautious according to your experience and demo the exact model before taking the plunge!!
JC

Very valuable comment for me, David. I thought that since the whole devialet range uses the same "ADH" technology, all devices would sound the same way. That's roughly what they say at Devialet's. Actually, I was about to demo the D-premier since my local dealer only has this model, and I was considering to order the D170 if convinced by the D-premier sound quality...
Apparently, I should be more cautious according to your experience and demo the exact model before taking the plunge!!
JC

preferably at home, however you do not have to pay Devialet money to get close to the original live sound a good Class AB amp will do it and from my experience be a lot easier to listen to than any Class D amp

I was able to listen to the D110 and D170 last week in the same room and I felt there wasn't a big difference between them. I listened to the D110 first and after switching in the D170 I thought I could live happily with the D110.
For me the D170 was a little smoother but not by much. It now comes down to whether the extra inputs/outputs on the D170 are worth the difference.

Interesting comments, but for a fair analysis you would really need to hear the 170 in the same room as the D Premier through the same speakers.

preferably at home, however you do not have to pay Devialet money to get close to the original live sound a good Class AB amp will do it and from my experience be a lot easier to listen to than any Class D amp

by the way, has anyone compared a devialet with a naim superuniti?

Not directly, but had a good listen to both in recent months. I'd be surprised if you prefer the Naim, unless you are a die hard Naim fan.

I had a demo of the Naim Uniti 2 and SuperUniti recently and was quite disappointed. It was a lively enough sound but failed to move me. Even streaming hidef material didn't help the Naim's.
in contrast I heard the D110 a few days ago and was much more impressed though it did sound average with average recordings. As soon as I found good material it came to life. Vocals were a particular strength for me. I heard so much nuance in the vocals of many tracks. It was close to tingling at times. The Devialets also have very deep, black silence between the instruments. I found the remote was a great part of the experience, sat on the sofa next to me I could adjust the volume with thinking, without it breaking into the listening moment. Pointing plastic remotes and pressing buttons is so clunky in comparison.

advertisement

Back