advertisement

Devialet with Harbeth / My first impressions.

There are no specs on the website and the designer wasn't forthcoming, my old passive Alphas used a 15" TAD conventional driver and they were only 98dB ,
Keith.

There are not "no specs" on the web site Keith. Not loads admittedly but the sensitivity and crossover frequencies are there.
The designer may well be less than forthcoming in publicising extensive data, I always was in my business.
In order to keep my secrets from the opposition I was as evasive as possible with the press, with the surprising result that loads of young engineers I have hired can't accept the truth because "I've never read it in a magazine". Duh! of course you haven't! Nobody gives important data to journalists.

I don't blame Tune Audio for staying stum on most info.
I know to put them near a wall or in a corner (mine are in the corner) use an amp of >3 watts (mine are 500...) listen from >3m away (5 here), 2m apart (3 here) all from the web site. Do I need to know more to enjoy them? No.
Would I like to know more? As an engineer, of course.
Would I need to know more to copy them? Yup.

I've heard D1 with Harbeth but also other loudspeakers(sony SS-AR1) with the same "strange" result. i listen to it "cold" perhaps it needs maybe some time to heat up before revealing its best performance? the dealer doesn't seems to promote D1 very much so maybe the unit was not completely burned in?
It's not a bad amp, dynamic is really good and the sound is clean and not harsh but something is missing. As a piano player, the piano timber is not as accurate as other amp tested yesterday.
It seems to lack the ultimate transparency and lack emotional involvement.
But i want to try the new 170 before final judgment.
To have only one piece of equipment in my living room is still very tempting...

Hi Ben,
Your story sounds so familiar that I think I know this dealer you talk about. He doesn't happen to be located in Belgium, does he?
If so, my advice is to look for another dealer -- that's what I did... and I ordered my 110 a fortnight ago.

Well I’ve listened carefully to the D170 2 weeks ago. This test was done in another dealer with different loudspeakers. I had the possibility to compare the D170 to my actual setup (Avondale grad1/TPX2 S100 amp) and this was very interesting

I began the listening cession with the D170 first with some piano and jazz. From what I remembered of the D1 the timber seems better retrieved and the left/right hang of the piano well separated, the bass is clean and well articulated. This is really a very revealing amp, you hear all the layers and detail without any harshness.

This amp is so clean that you need time to be accustomed with its neutral and clean sound (but not necessary clinical), when I changed to the Avondale setup, It was as if I listen to a tube amp... The bass was lusher and a little bit heavier but less defined the voices more airy and the soundstage larger but not as precise as the D170 but my first thinking was that the Avondale setup was still very good. It was not a night and day difference but without any contest the D170 is really better.

I have been meaning to do a more thorough write up about the Devialet 110 and Harbeth M30.1. I have owned this set up since August.

I will get the chance to do a more detailed review soon, but in brief, the system is truly fantastic. I play lossless files from iTunes usually via USB (I recently took a punt on a used TQ graphite USB) into the 110, and the M30.1 are connected with TQ black speaker cable. The speakers are sitting on open frame metal stands and my room is 4x4m, so not ideal acoustically, especially is the floor is a suspended wooden floor.

The AIR function has good days and bad days, but I thinks that's because I haven't set up a dedicated network yet. I tend to stick to USB if we are online or downloading etc.

Overall the sound is sublime. It's more transparent, realistic, natural and dynamic than anything else I have owned. I really like the functionality too, especially the configuration tools and configurable tone controls. I find in my room that a little off the bass and a touch more on top (kind of like the quad tilt effect) helps balance things perfectly. Not much, I'm talking +/- 2-3db on the tones to balance out the room.

It's such a simple system and sounds absolutely wonderful, fits nice into the home and is easy to use. It has the level of detail I would associate with good headphones, but twins that with some excellent sound staging and life like reproduction.

Power wise, it's ample in my room. I considered the 170 but I don't play vinyl, use a sub or need the other features, and my speakers are easy to drive. It's rare that go past -20db as that's very loud in my room, and normally hover around -30db for everyday listening.

Does anyone else have the same or a similar system and care to share their experiences here?

Hi novak, thanks for the review. I have had the D170 since late September. My main reasons for the purchase were:
1. I was very impressed with D-Premier and D110 auditions. I liked the amps grip on the speakers, and lack of 'grain' unlike any solid state amp I have heard before.
2. I wanted to downsize from 3 boxes weighing a total of 85kg.
3. I like the voltage flexibility, given an upcoming move to USA. I don't like the idea of using a noisy step-down transformer
3. I am tempted to try a vinyl setup in the future, but don't want to add too many additional boxes.

I went for the 170 because my speakers are relatively hard to drive (Dynaudio C1, 86 dB). I also wanted the XLR digital input, plus the ability to try the advanced phono stage.

I am mainly using a mac mini USB into an offramp4 then to Devialet via XLR digital in. I also use a Sonos (with Wyred for Sound mods) as a second source. I haven't tried the direct USB input yet. I tested the Air with my Airport Extreme based network. Sound quality was very good, but it kept losing the connection. I will try again when they upgrade the Air software.

Did you find that sound quality is sensitive to the USB cable? What cable did you have before the TQ? Also, some people are reporting that the computer loses connection to the Devialet output USB driver every time the amp is placed in standby. Do you have this issue?

The new firmware and AIR update are on the Devialet website. I haven't had a chance to download and update yet.

Novak - good to hear you're getting on well with the 110. I'm extremely pleased with mine. My Berning went to it's new owner today and now with one shiny box, a pair of speakers and sublime sounds i've never been happier :)

James.

Also, some people are reporting that the computer loses connection to the Devialet output USB driver every time the amp is placed in standby. Do you have this issue?

The Devialet uses the XMOS USB controller as are many modern DACs. Seems to be an issue effecting many dacs. In my case (Vega) I switch between sources to rectify the issue. A little irritating, though.

Yes I have recently had the USB option disappear in the system preferences. I think it is since I upgraded to OS X Mavericks.

I had a Wireworld Starlight USB before the TQ graphite. I thought it was an improvement over a standard USB. However, adding the Graphite seemed to change the sound... Hard to explain but it sounded more natural with real instruments and a sense of ambience in the recording. Of course, very subtle, but it had me scratching my head as I'm a digital sceptic like many people here.

Has anyone tried the ethernet route? Or, did anyone try the ifi iusb? I used to own one but sold it when I cleared out my own system.

advertisement

Back