advertisement

Devialet with Harbeth / My first impressions.

novak

pfm Member
I had a day off today and booked a demo of the Devialet 110 with Harbeth Pesr and M30.1.

Unfortunately the 110 wasn't in stock yet, so tried the D-Premier to get a flavour. As I already own the P3esr, I started there. It was certainly a wow experience!

The Devialet was so transparent and effortless. The Harbeths didn't boom one bit when turned up, and treble remained sweet. I felt immersed and engaged in the music.

Then I tried the M30.1 and things improved further still. Bass was extended, detail was further refined and a greater sense of Realism. The P3 perhaps created a more obvious sound stage with that 'centre speaker' illusion. Loved both, as always... But the 30.1 had the edge in that particular space.

Recently I changed from Naim to Croft and Metrum and it's the best sound I have had to date. Today, the Devialet wasnt streets ahead, but it did take things to the next level (but then it is around £11,000 so that's understandable.) in comparison, my electronics are only around £4,000. This compares well to the new price of £4500 for the Devialet 110.

At this stage, it's hard to truly compare my system with the Devialet as it was in a showroom which was undoubtedly better than my lounge, but nevertheless I was very impressed. I certainly left the demo room smiling. However, it may not sound quite so special in my lounge, but I'm interested in a home demo of the 110.

Also, not sure how the new 110 will measure up to the D-Premier, so will be interested to hear if it's anywhere near.

Has anyone else heard the Devialet at all? Especially the 110 compared to the Premier? I have to say, if it is anywhere near as good as the Premier, I would seriously consider going for one despite recently buying (and liking very much) the Croft Pre Power. It can be an expensive hobby!

You really need to hear the DVLA in your own room, and of course you are not comparing like for like, valve pre and power and NOS dac, both systems could hardly be more different.
Keith.

Ha! DVLA, great bit of branding there.

Yes, definitely need to compare side by side. As mentioned, the Croft and Metrum is a lovely set up and will take a lot of beating for the Harbeths. Will report back when I have compared the two.

Thanks for sharing your experience Novak.
I'm very keen hearing how the 110 matches with the Harbeths.
It seems -perhaps due to a software issue- the new range isn't available yet for demo's.

Looking forward to your report.

Cheers, Fred

I have heard a D-Premier demoed and was very impressed. It will be interesting to hear reviews of the comparitive performance of the 110 and 170

Following a home demo I bought a D-Premier soon after they came out. I bought a second one later as its only shortcoming compared to my existing amp was at high levels. Now it matches or improves on the kit it replaces. It is the best amp I have heard, and the new price of the DAC/ Pre/ Monos it replaces would be several times dearer.
I haven't tried it with my Harbeth PS3ES/Xtenders but I have with my KEF LS50 and it is fantastic.
I have tried one D-Premier, configured for the least power one can (50wpc) into 109dB/W Tune Audio Anima horn speakers and it was fantastic.
For info, the amp inputs and outputs can be configured in a wide variety of ways, with power from a single unit from 50-240 WPC and a dual from 50-500wpc.
I think it is about the least load sensitive amp ever, so should suit most speakers better than other amps.
IMHO.

You really need to hear the DVLA in your own room, and of course you are not comparing like for like, valve pre and power and NOS dac, both systems could hardly be more different.
Keith.

At Scalford a year ago somebody came up to me and said "you are the DVLA man aren't you" This anglicised pronunciation was lost on me at the time and I said no...

I'm going to listen to this Combo at end next month ....will let you know what I think of the DVLA then...

992851_169059509941325_774213780_n.jpg

Keith.

Absolutely right. Does anyone know if the Devialet can be used only as a power amplifier , I am mainly into mch SACd & Blu-ray , so do not need all the extras pre-amp etc on the Devialet. However having said that I am very wary of Class D amplifiers the ones I have heard to date make me feel ill and I just want to turn them off. Bel Canto, Primare etc. I spoke with a seller of a Devialet Premier and asked why he was selling it, he said he found it too clinical for him and being very honest said he found it fatiguing to listen to although very impressive for short term listening.

Yes, and so do you. You have been told several times, each time you asked, by myself and others...

Trolling?

Have never seen a reply , however I would not buy a Devialet or any Class D amplifier so perhaps I should not have asked the question.

Disbeliever - are you kidding ? There was a whole thread about this amp and your views a week or so ago !
Why do you keep posting comments saying that you are not going to buy one of these.
Goat herders in Mongolia must know you don't like and would not buy a DVLA or a Class D amp, so why on earth do you keep repeating the same old same old on threads were genuine people want to talk about this amp?

Fair point, Dan. I have had quite a few components and systems in the last few years since I returned to hifi, it has been great to rediscover different styles of reproduction.

The Croft is fantastic. And also, I can be fairly certain that Harbeth has been the backbone of my system as other speakers have been and gone.

For me, it has been a process of refinement, discovering the great components, being more reductive in terms of boxes, thoughtful and honest design and most importantly, more insight into what I'm listening to.

Whilst the croft harbeth combo is sublime, I can't help believe that the Devialet takes things a step further in all of these respects. Early days though, I need another listen. My room isn't great, and perhaps the croft harbeth could beat the devialet in a controlled environment like where I heard the devialet. Looking forward to the next listen!

I tried the new Devialet 110 today, with Harbeth P3 and M30.1. Same room, same tracks as the D Premier demo last week.

Lovely detail and transparency like the D Premier, and a great involving sound. I prefer the simplified design also. However, the bass just sounded boomy and floppy. It became a little tiresome after an hour of demo. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood, maybe the room was too small, or maybe it's just not as good. Difficult to say as I can't try a deeper dive at home just yet.

I thought the easier to drive M30.1 would be easier on the ear, but if anything, the P3 sounded faster and more controlled. I really wasn't expecting this.

The room was quite small, but it did sound fantastic last week with the 240 watts D Premier. Have to add, the Devialet 110 was only hours old, so maybe that had an effect.

Coming home to the Metrum, Croft and P3 sound very good. Familiar, perhaps, but very good. The Croft is only 55wpc I believe, but it seems to have as (if not more) much control. The 110 is probably worth another demo in the future. It's a great product but it wasn't giving me the same wow factor today as I hoped it would.

advertisement

Back