advertisement

Devialet Phantom (part II)

The Expert range has gone down in price which is nice. When the possibility of slaving a second 200 for dual mono was the only option it was about £5800, and you had a Wifi Board and extra remote you did not need now its much more possible.

I guess people might be up in arms that their expensive shiny purchases have become more affordable but I am all for it. And now SAM speakers can be down at any dealer with the SAM lab hardware I suspect there will be a lot of people interested in marrying the Expert with esoteric or high end DIY speakers.

Yes, but Devialet aren't selling the Expert range direct from their website. If they plan to continue selling Phantom direct then the price from UK dealers should be in Euro and converted to sterling when purchased. Otherwise people would just go to the dealers for a demo and then buy it online to save money.

Over on devialetchat, someone has posted UK Expert Range prices as follows, if this turns out to be right then the Phantom will be more expensive in £ vs. the € list.....(the Euro price on the 200 is €6995 which is about £5100 at present).

120 - £3,990
200 - £5,490, Companion - £4,490
250 - £9,990, Companion - £7,990
400 - £9,980
800 - £17,980

Has anyone heard any rock music via Phantoms? It would be interesting to know how Phantoms can deal with string instruments, electric/acoustic guitars?

Thanks!

we are considering >5 mo. i wanted to keep the Silver Phantoms if we were travelling but its looking more and more likely we may rent wholesale or sell up. The isolation and weather is too much for me, one reason i am trying to own almost nothing material: moving made much easier.

Well you did choose one of the more isolated parts of the cold North...

Can you stream music directly from NAS, or do you need to have a PC on? Did anyone come across any issues streaming 192/24 files?
Thanks

They are really quite remarkable. Currently listening to Elbow via a single Phantom Silver. Sounds a bit meh for the first five minutes. After a very short warm up though, everything just sort of falls into place. SImply astonishing for the money.

Has anyone heard any rock music via Phantoms? It would be interesting to know how Phantoms can deal with string instruments, electric/acoustic guitars?

Thanks!

I hope AS got a good pay off from Devialet for all the work they did in establishing their product for them in the UK. Surely the price should drop by 40% now there's no distributor?

Riccardo sure works hard ;)

Good to see someone finally bucking the trend and dumping Absolute Scams and their media group. I'm sure it's the best solution but be prepared for a number of articles in the established hifi press suggesting the amplifiers don't quite satisfy long term or don't stack up with newer references....

Fortunately not that many people read the established audio press anymore.

Well, let's look on the bright side. Was not AudioFreaks.

I am glad Lee got them and agrees they are remarkable and you have to spend a shedload to approach their performance. Yes the HiFi media and the old guard HiFi supporters (i.e. us) will close ranks and there will be a backlash but that just means Devialet are doing it right.

The Experts had a new firmware (8.1.x) which IMV pushed them considerably ahead of the game sound wise; but the things this company are doing are disruptive and that never engenders good friends in the people they are disrupting.

I am glad I bought them, I don't miss them because the expert range is a bit better but sheesh, its a big spend to be ahead. If I were attached to any of it I'd be bummed but it and we're only landfill after all...

Went into Harrods today. Saw the Phantoms, very nice they are too. Heard them bit, but the demo room is tiny.

I said to the salesman, Victor Kisseih, that it was cheaper to get the gear shipped from France. He said that had to do with the change in the exchange rate, but they could do a deal.

Victor said that tomorrow (Saturday) they are taking 10% off, because there is a sale on at Harrods.

Couldn't really see the Dialogue, because it was hidden in cupboard. The LE 200 looks great though. I like the fact that you can plug your record player into it and use your computer to deal with the inputs.

I might possibly get one at a later point, but probably not from Harrods because their small demo room is kind of the last place you'd want to sit and listen.

Jack

Still enjoying my pair of Silver Phantoms. They're at our holiday cottage, so they don't get much use, but every time I get a chance to let them sing I love the experience.

Are they easy to set up now? I remember there were some bugs last year.

What about the inputs on the Dialog, do they all work now?

Is it possible to attach 2 sources (Streamer & TV) via Coax & Optical?

If so, how do you switch between them & how do you control volume?

ta

Are they easy to set up now? I remember there were some bugs last year.

What about the inputs on the Dialog, do they all work now?

Is it possible to attach 2 sources (Streamer & TV) via Coax & Optical?

If so, how do you switch between them & how do you control volume?

ta

I don't own them, but I've had a good listen.
They are very good.

Bugs and software issues. It seems from reading the Devialetchat forum, that various issues come and go with each software update. Some haven't gone away.
Some people have received faulty Phantoms that have a low but audible hiss when no music is playing. Replacements are issued.

There are no coax inputs. Only one optical and one Ethernet on each Phantom.
If running two as a stereo pair, where you must use the Dialog box, there is only one input each of Ethernet, USB and optical on the Dialog.

Control (including volume control) is carried out via the Spark app, which has its own software issues, in so far as being widely regarded as a work in progress, or under featured at this stage of its existence.
They say it's gradually getting better with each update.

An optional stand alone volume control remote is now available, but it falls well short of what was promised and can only adjust volume and does nothing else (no promised e-paper display, no play/pause/next etc,). At £129 too!

Spark handles the streaming aspect, such as the integrated Tidal, Qobuz and Deezer services, as well as streaming from a local network source.
Some people have problems with using Spark for streaming, or just don't like it in its current form and use their own streamer (Sonos etc,) plugged into the Dialog's optical input.

The matching Branch stands, which were originally thought to cost £199, have turned out to cost £299 each.
They weren't available at launch, with only a small batch becoming available several months later, only to go "out of stock" again. Next availability Xmas or early next year? Who knows?

Having read a lot of user reviews and posts on the chat forum and elsewhere, my impression is that the sound quality is considered to be very good and if set up correctly will match or completely outgun many if not most component and speaker setups costing up to many thousands of £'s.
The biggest fans of the Phantom, appear to be the owners of very expensive main systems, costing serious money.

There are the usual issues regarding placement, especially so with the prodigious bass levels and they are reported to take a while for the drivers to loosen up and bed in, with a consequent improvement all round in sound quality.

The Phantoms are clearly not without technical issues and many of their owners appear to be getting a little bit frustrated.
The accusation or impression is that Devialet are slow and under resourced in the software development dept. and are very poor at communicating the progress being made with fixing issues and with new developments.

My own impression is that they have a technically brilliant product, that sounds exceptionally good, but is being held back by underdeveloped software and a slow response to dealing with problems.

I heard the Phantoms a few weeks ago and thought they were utterly appalling. A preposterously overblown thump-thump tuneless bass, rough midrange and a vicious top-end. If you were a young person nowadays and wanted to have a party that sounded as bad as a disco, or like a car stereo turned up too loud, then they would do you fine. But otherwise unlistenable. Don't believe the hype people! They are terrible! But it is a great technical achievement to produce so much bad sound from such a small sphere.

Im going on thursday to hear silver phantoms at the local agents listening room.. and am hoping to beg a pair to set up next to my vivid audio G1's .. will be an "interesting" comparison..

Quite a few opposing views then! It was Clive's description of them being better than his ATC's and a bit behind his 800s that piqued my interest.

Yes will be "interesting" to see what you think of them Rodney, if they have the sound of the LS50 with more volume and less restrained dynamics i'd be giddy! You've got some good references/experiences to compare them too as well.

Where did you hear them Andy?

Quite a few opposing views then! It was Clive's description of them being better than his ATC's and a bit behind his 800s that piqued my interest.

Yes will be "interesting" to see what you think of them Rodney, if they have the sound of the LS50 with more volume and less restrained dynamics i'd be giddy! You've got some good references/experiences to compare them too as well.

Where did you hear them Andy?

I heard them at a HiFi Show in Ljubljana and at a dealer in Scotland. fwiw I have also owned ATC 100 ASLs and now own SCM25s. The idea that the Devialets are in any way comparable to ATCs is just preposterous. They are just terrible. But if you want loud, hard, nasty, tuneless and thumpy from a small box then they'll make you happy. Never in the history of bullsh*t has there been such a gap between the hype and the reality.

Our local dealer.. who is also the vivid agents and has a set of 1.5's , b1's and Giya G3's in his showroom .. seems to think they are VERY good for the money..

I will let you know what I think on friday .. we are having a local hifi club meeting at his place thursday evening...
Thereafter I hope to have a set at home..
Who knows , mybe I will replace my calabashes with a basketball ball :)

advertisement

Back