advertisement

Devialet Phantom (part II)

Its probably part of a software update, but it is inadvisable to buy based on what features might be and only buy what features you see quoted.

Mrs and I had a long chat about which system we were keeping. I wanted to keep the Phantoms and hoof the B&Ws but she wants the D200/800s and anyway we can always get speakers out there.

Just emailed Colette to say thanks but we're returning under distance regs, please refund. But if anyone is desperate for a pair in the UK here/now then see my ad in /classified I was all for keeping them as well but I'm on a roll these days. I quit my PhD as well -- i just don't see the point of it at the moment. Tidying up loose ends...

Finally had a chance to read this thread. Very interesting.

Will wait until Cloney in Dublin get them in and see/hear

Was about to drop about £2500 on a pair of KS Digital ADM22 studio monitors but the Phantoms look intriguing.

I would use them partially in the home studio and assume that there is a way to get the digital data from my PC mixing rig to them...do they have any digital inputs at all or is it all wireless?

It's the sort of product I would support in principle as anything at reduce the audiophile BS is a great thing.

Finally had a chance to read this thread. Very interesting.

Will wait until Cloney in Dublin get them in and see/hear

Was about to drop about £2500 on a pair of KS Digital ADM22 studio monitors but the Phantoms look intriguing.

I would use them partially in the home studio and assume that there is a way to get the digital data from my PC mixing rig to them...do they have any digital inputs at all or is it all wireless?

It's the sort of product I would support in principle as anything at reduce the audiophile BS is a great thing.

There are 3 optical digital inputs, one on the Dialog and one on each Phantom.

In terms of using them in my main room, I could use the Sonos Connects digital out until Devialet sort out their Spotify and NAS issues?

Do you think they would make good monitors for home studio based on their sound and connectivity?
Latency of the whole system, including Dialogue, seems to have been minimised
I like their point source/coaxial format.

I have absolutely no idea. I've quit all that for the time being. And anyway you'd be advised to not listen to a word I say. I have no fixed compass at the moment. But bearing in mind they are domestic speakers for domestic people who don't want wires and complexity and not completely hung up on the sound (which is totally me, at least for the duration of typing this) -- my feeling is if you want studio monitors, get studio monitors.

I'd keep them but in A:B listening my partner prefers the better mid and treble of the bigger speakers and the bass seems less forced. I like that but she can hear stuff way way into my field of tinnitus so she gets what she wants because i can live with less but she doesn't want to. Its the inverse of most blokes here. I'd like to keep the Phantoms as well but bollocks to it all. I'm really not interested in keeping anything much. I can either sell mine or return them to Colette for a refund. I'm not fussed.

I agree with Merlin that they need to offer a few bands of Parametric EQ in a future update. I assume they will.

Will be interesting to see what other form factors they come up with. Their AV system offering could ' be interesting as I bet they have one in development. In a few years, a nice 60+ inch OLED TV and a handfull if Devialets could make the Euro winters a lot more enjoyable.

we are considering >5 mo. i wanted to keep the Silver Phantoms if we were travelling but its looking more and more likely we may rent wholesale or sell up. The isolation and weather is too much for me, one reason i am trying to own almost nothing material: moving made much easier.

none. You buy it, you plug it in and you use it. Like I say, it is a posh Sonos. If you want all that you got the Expert Route.

@mattgbell please share your response from devialet

The issue I have is that I prefer to leave the Phantoms powered off when no-one is in the house, which, since it's our weekend place, can be a couple of weeks. When I power them on, I have to do a full reset, which is fiddly and tedious.

Devialet are currently looking into this. I hope they'll find a way for the units to store their last wi-fi connection permanently in memory and reconnect automatically, just like a laptop would.

Other news: in the next few weeks an upgraded Phantom will be released containing a bluetooth module. This isn't retrofittable, so owners of the original model are being offered a separate Nuforce bluetooth receiver to connect via optical.

Are AS still the UK distributors?
Keith.

I was told by a UK Devialet dealer that Absolute Sounds would no longer be the UK distributers after May. Devialet will be restructuring their distribution in June and they were waiting to hear what the new Distribution and Dealer arrangements would be.

Devialet are dealing directly with UK dealers now and Phantoms are part of the deal, so they will be on demo at Devialet dealers who have decided to stock them.

Spoke to my local Devialet dealer and they are expecting Phantoms in before the end of the month and they will have the stands for them too. The big question is how much they will be charging. Cloney Audio in Dublin told me they would be charging the same price as buying from Devialet direct, but they are both selling in Euro's. Harrods price is about £500 more expensive than buying direct at current exchange rates. It will be interesting how dealers in the UK will price them. Hopefully they will price them in Euro's and then convert to sterling when the order is placed.

I am looking forward to trying them out. Hopefully I can get them on a home demo and see how they stack up against my ATC's.

Spoke to my local Devialet dealer and they are expecting Phantoms in before the end of the month and they will have the stands for them too. The big question is how much they will be charging. Cloney Audio in Dublin told me they would be charging the same price as buying from Devialet direct, but they are both selling in Euro's.

I assume you are waiting for Cloney to get a pair in like me (I live in Nth Ireland)?

Drop us a posting when you get to hear them as I'll get down there myself.

I assume you are waiting for Cloney to get a pair in like me (I live in Nth Ireland)?

Drop us a posting when you get to hear them as I'll get down there myself.

I live in the UK (although I am Irish) and only contacted Cloney to see if they had a pair on demo. It is good that they will be selling them at the same price as Devialet direct but you can bet those of us buying from UK dealers won't get the same deal ...

Over on devialetchat, someone has posted UK Expert Range prices as follows, if this turns out to be right then the Phantom will be more expensive in £ vs. the € list.....(the Euro price on the 200 is €6995 which is about £5100 at present).

120 - £3,990
200 - £5,490, Companion - £4,490
250 - £9,990, Companion - £7,990
400 - £9,980
800 - £17,980

advertisement

Back