advertisement

Devialet Phantom (part II)

PS Today Software Update 1.2.0.0 arrived which brings TIDAL support which is good because I had ended a trial period and played the long waiting game watching the offers get better and now they offered me 3 months for the price of one... So I am back with Tidal for now.

Let us know how you get on. I hope the do it for you like they do for me.

Apparently they are adding a Bluetooth module to the latest versions so I will probably wait for a while until they sort that out along with their distribution. I would also like the stands too so I might wait and see until they release prices. If they do the trick for me I will have a few quid left over after I sell my ATC's and Benchmark DAC2 :) . What did you do with your 100's ?

Is there any Bass adjustment available with the Phantoms is they prove to be too much ?

I'm over in Dublin this weekend so I will give them a ring but I don't think there are many dealers that have them. Devialet don't seem to have decided how to distribute the product yet ....

Cloney is my local dealer - great bunch to deal with - but they don't sell Phantoms (yet).

Apparently they are adding a Bluetooth module to the latest versions so I will probably wait for a while until they sort that out along with their distribution. I would also like the stands too so I might wait and see until they release prices. If they do the trick for me I will have a few quid left over after I sell my ATC's and Benchmark DAC2 :) . What did you do with your 100's ?

Is there any Bass adjustment available with the Phantoms is they prove to be too much ?

All ATCs gone to happy owners including the dual subs and centre.

There is a bass cut option but its pretty much EQ set, for now. I think if you want to fiddle with EQ you need the experts...

I went to listen to a variety of Devialet stuff this week at the Devialet showroom in Paris. Got excellent, courteous service from the young salesman, who is a musician and sound engineer. He had prepared the playlist I has forwarded ahead of time and spared me the OTT sales pitch and just let me listen, answering any questions I had.

First listened to/compared a D200 + Atohm GT1 combination and a pair of Phantom Silvers. This was in their upstairs room, which is not a great room acoustically (massive windows, haphazard speaker positioning, no sound treatments in evidence). We listened to a mix of Beethoven piano sonatas, Bill Evans, Eels (Nlovocaine & Susan's House, French baroque and Bartok orchestral stuff. Sources were Qobuz or Tidal, CD std.

The music sounded entertaining but slightly boxed in with the Phantoms. The enthusiastic yet precise bass was the most impressive thing, especially vs. the size of Phantoms. The mid range is OK, good for the price but not the last word in refinement: slightly harsh piano and vocals were not 100% clear. Complex music could get a bit muddled. On the whole I thought the whole thing was better than a Linn Magic DSM + Majik 109 combo I listened to recently, but not massively so. They are very good for an all-in-one box but not giant slayers. There was more air with the D200/Atohm and the feeling of music coming out of a box disappeared, but the piano was still slightly harsh. Paradoxically and despite their shortcomings in the upper mid range and treble I thought the music flowed better with the Phantoms than with the Atohm. Imaging-soundstage was mediocre in both cases. I really did not like those Atohms, so I really don't know what the D200 can really do.

Listened later to a Devialet 800 with B&W 804 Diamonds in another bigger room downstairs (that was not ideal either). Now that was very, very nice. The music flowed without a trace of harshness in the piano. Realistic soundstage, the speakers had vanished, vocals were more intelligible than on the 200 + Atohm upstairs. It felt as good as my main (valve) system in its strong points, and better in terms of the total absence of hiss or any sort of background noise and the effortless feeling of power. Paradoxically the bass department felt less forward and obvious than with the D200/Atohm but more integrated and realistic. This combination completely buried the D200-Atohm anyway.

Phantom Silver and Phantom White: did only a brief 2' comparison, mono only while standing in the shop. The Silvers sounded rather better, but did not have time to dig any deeper.

Conclusion: the Phantoms are a great all-in-one combination, but don't come anywhere near the D200-400-800 family running a pair of good speakers. I may end up buying a pair of Phantoms for the little flat because of the compact size, ease of use and decent sound, but will not be getting rid of the main system just yet.

I haven't used my Phantoms for a fortnight. During that time they've been unplugged from the mains. Last night I tried to switch them on, but Spark couldn't see the Phantoms. I went through the full reset procedure (as set out on the Devialet help pages) five times, but no joy.

I've written a strongly worded e-mail to Devialet on the subject.

In the meantime, I heard a rumour (from a Devialet dealer) that mid-June will see the launch of an upgraded Phantom with improved networking capability. The upgrade will not, however, be retrofittable.

I should imagine that will stick in the throat of some early adopters.

§I think thats just the Dialog which will have Bluetooth added, the Phantoms have a completely open ended networking stack that is underused, it can for example support 802.11ac and Mesh networking (like Sonos) simultaneously, if the the licences for the API are bought. The Phantom is pretty much an open ended extensible platform and I really don't think its going to be changing as all the networking is handled by Dialog.

But if you know anything different with something concrete do share...

I honestly do not know what people are doing with their phantoms that causes such grief. I have not had a single problem aside from one day losing a channel and renaming the room to another room sorted that out, but I bought into the hardware fairly late for an early adopter and was pleasantly surprised it was not as bad as I was made out to believe.

For some reason there seems to be an idea that because the Phantoms are so 'off the wall'
They can just be bunged anywhere and will give of their best. I have found them be just as sensitive to placement as any other speaker. They do sound shut in if there is unsufficient side room and this is true even if it is another speaker close by. I have also found that they are continuing to open up as they are becoming more run in.

Can I ask how many bands of EQ are available in the software and what adjustment of Q is possible?

none. You buy it, you plug it in and you use it. Like I say, it is a posh Sonos. If you want all that you got the Expert Route.

@mattgbell please share your response from devialet

Why? There are hardly any speaker and amp combinations out there that have this facility. You wouldn't say a quad 57 with quad amplification is in need of SQ.

There aren't that many speaker amp combinations out there that cover the bottom two octaves linearly and therefore guarantee to interact with all living rooms.

Seems utterly daft to have all that processing power and to not address the most obvious and audible distortion of the signal.

Grimm LS1's include, low shelf,EQ ,adjustable lower bass extension , I am sure there must be other pro monitors which offer the same capability.
Keith.

You only really need one or maybe two band EQ for speakers whose FR excites your main room modes.

I'm sure they will come up with something. Massive oversight really though given the boasts of FR and a shame as I rather fancy downgrading to one following recent events.

Well it already uses digital manipulation of the drivers - it just doesn't currently allow user adjustment of that manipulation; I see no reason why such couldn't be added.

advertisement

Back